Power Outage @ Kings Island

BoddaH1994

Guest dtk1376

Kings Island said they will stay open past 10 tonight due to the power outage, pretty cool for those that stuck around.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 8

It's very nice indeed to keep the park open late so today's guests can get their rides in.

However if the issue is on the parks end, and related to said ride that requires a large current to work..Hmm

KI's electrical supply is a rather complex system. FOF alone draws a couple megawatts to launch, which has a significant effect on the grid.

Staying open past 10 often generates noise complaints from the now nearby residents.

The park can't win, it seems.

It will be open until midnight starting next Saturday. This could be considered a preview.

• Like 4

Staying open past 10 often generates noise complaints from the now nearby residents.

As I often say, KI was there first. People who bought a house around the park knew it was there when purchasing their home; and have no room to complain about noise.

• Like 14

KI's electrical supply is a rather complex system. FOF alone draws a couple megawatts to launch, which has a significant effect on the grid.

Exactly my point...

Ride reopens today after having electrical issues. Ride has large load on electrical systems within the park, possibly effects outside too not certain, I'm not the service provider. Service Provider immediately comes out and says we're not at fault, and it's something inside. Only can think of a few things..coincidences seem very legit

Regardless, hopefully the park comes out and explains the issue, and possible remedies. If not, more press released and hungry news stations will have lots of stories this summer I feel.

As I often say, KI was there first. People who bought a house around the park knew it was there when purchasing their home; and have no room to complain about noise.

Oh, but they think they do have a room to complain in. A court room.

• Like 4

Exactly my point...

Ride reopens today after having electrical issues. Ride has large load on electrical systems within the park, possibly effects outside too not certain, I'm not the service provider. Service Provider immediately comes out and says we're not at fault, and it's something inside. Only can think of a few things..coincidences seem very legit

Regardless, hopefully the park comes out and explains the issue, and possible remedies. If not, more press released and hungry news stations will have lots of stories this summer I feel.

It's not surprising that the electrical issue is within the park. I understand that transformers, distribution equipment, capacitor banks are located on-site. In some ways, the park is like its own city.

I don't know why the park would come out and explain the issue. There was a power outage in limited areas of the park. It was fixed. Rides stayed open late to compensate. That really should be the end of the story. Unfortunately, it probably won't be.

It won't be the end of the story, does the news ever leave anything to just the press release 9 times out of 10, of course not. Right now news crews are probably having a blast, it's an easy story to cover and high publicity.Look at the lift hill Banshee issue, there's been f/u discussions and even a conversation with Mr Helbig as a result.

^Again, I agree, but they have the right to do so, can't take that away from them. It seems pathetic I know and I would agree. However, again, it's their right to do so. Least there's not a CEO's wife next door complaining and encases a ride in a box and adds a space theme.

• Like 3

^^ Unfortunately for the park, several issues have occurred in a short period of time. The media loves looking for patterns, so local news stations are probably on high alert for anything resembling "news" at Kings Island.

As for noise, KI has been open late on summer weekends for a very long time.

Surprised also I didn't think of this early..Doubt it's a huge issue, but I could see issues regarding it.

For people working there, working doubles, ect. how long are they staying extra. Many minor employees there, and for rides, they are unable to bring cell phones in the park with them. How are they going to coordinate that, or the extra hour of work that could warrant another break. Hopefully swings weren't sent home yet or called back in, etc. I will say some employees are probably happy, get an extra hour of pay. I know at CP I'd take that hour gladly.

Not ganna be a good day for the park today or tomorrow I feel, it's unfortunate this is happening, but hope for the best.

• Like 1

I would love to live next to Kings Island.

Where I live, the streets are narrow, it was a vacation spot first. There's kids allover, there's parks are regular intervals, and it's a great place for kids to ride their bikes and play ball.

I heard the sounds of kids' playing when I looked at the house, and I know all the other people that bought houses did, too.

And yet, I've heard neighbors complain about kids playing!

The place was constructed for playing, and you can tell that as soon as you pull into the drive.

Just unhappy with their own lives, and can't bear to blame their own selves, I think.

I've never understood people. Let's complain about something that was there first and generates a bunch of jobs and tax money for the area.

Simple, everyone (especially here in the U.S.A.) feels they are the only person on the planet and everything should be done to suit them.

• Like 7

A few comments on this article... First, there's the whole "The Banshee" thing... Secondly, what the heck is "The Vertigo"? Finally, the employee who didn't want to be named. Likely someone not authorized to talk to the media. While I can't see the park getting upset about this, since they were just saying what was going on as far as guest reactions, they probably shouldn't be saying anything to the media...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

A few comments on this article... First, there's the whole "The Banshee" thing... Secondly, what the heck is "The Vertigo"? Finally, the employee who didn't want to be named. Likely someone not authorized to talk to the media. While I can't see the park getting upset about this, since they were just saying what was going on as far as guest reactions, they probably shouldn't be saying anything to the media...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk

There are shirts in the gift shop at Banshee's exit that say things like, "I survived The Banshee," and so on. It really could go either way. We do have The Racer, The Beast, The Scrambler, etc., so having "the" in front of a ride's name isn't uncommon.

Did FoF reopen? Would someone on KIC be willing to check if it's open tomorrow if they're heading to the park?

Flight of Fear was not open as of about 9:00. The park did not make any indication of the ride would open tomorrow, nor did they make any comment about its alleged involvement in the power outage.