Cedar Point wood coaster 2015 or 2016?

Tony Clark - Cedar Point's director of communications, tweeted today a stack of new wood planks. Is this a teaser for the demolition of mean streak and the introduction of a gci or even a rmc woody. I know that Cedar Fair has never worked with rmc, but Cedar Point has been the first for many things that are not normal like Millennium Force. That was Cedar Fair's first big coaster with Intamin.

EDIT: That was a bad link. Here is a working link pic.twitter.com/PQ8zCLWoRq

It's wood..Park has alot of it..I doubt this means anything re: RMC, etc.You do realize they are currently and always reparing/working on the wooden coasters/structures in the park.Tony is famous for making something out of nothing, I doubt it's anything seriously important. Wood is wood, I don't get worked up over small things like this.

• Like 3

Posting it along with the caption "What does it mean??!" is clearly meant to egg on enthusiasts and get them brainstorming. *shrug* I certainly don't think it means that, but you can't expect that the purpose of his posting that was for fans to say "Oh, a nice new patio in Frontier Town."

• Like 3

Yeah. I doubt this means anything at all.

On a side note, I don't really understand why everybody seems to want their home park to install one of these new RMC doohickeys. To me, it just seems blasphemous to modify wooden roller coasters into these weird hybrids. I sincerely hope the whole thing is just a fad.

And don't get me started on how apparently the classification of these coasters is based not on the obvious fact that they're hybrids but instead on a certain chain's desire to have record breaking "wooden" coasters.

EDIT: Upon further research, there is in fact a difference between RMC's Topper Track and I-Box Track, which I thought were synonymous terms. That being said, I still think Topper Tracked coasters should be considered some degree of hybrids.

• Like 6

On a side note, I don't really understand why everybody seems to want their home park to install one of these new RMC doohickeys. To me, it just seems blasphemous to modify wooden roller coasters into these weird hybrids. I sincerely hope the whole thing is just a fad.

And don't get me started on how apparently the classification of these coasters is based not on the obvious fact that they're hybrids but instead on a certain chain's desire to have record breaking "wooden" coasters.

EDIT: Upon further research, there is in fact a difference between RMC's Topper Track and I-Box Track, which I thought were synonymous terms. That being said, I still think Topper Tracked coasters should be considered some degree of hybrids.

eltoro has topper track

Still a gimmick..

But I doubt you'll see RMC in the parks anytime soon. After Intamin issues, and RMC issues, I doubt you will see the park go with either of them. They are in the mood of high safety and reliability lately. Look at the slew of B&M's to hit the parks as of late, and look at the ideas they state behind them.

So a gci which i stated originally

eltoro has topper track
No, El Toro doesn't. El Toro has Intamin's prefabricated wood track.
  • Like 5

Still a gimmick..

But I doubt you'll see RMC in the parks anytime soon. After Intamin issues, and RMC issues, I doubt you will see the park go with either of them. They are in the mood of high safety and reliability lately. Look at the slew of B&M's to hit the parks as of late, and look at the ideas they state behind them.

A gimmick is Oblivion at Alton Towers.

eltoro has topper track
No, El Toro doesn't. El Toro has Intamin's prefabricated wood track.

umb. why does RMC have it on their website http://www.rockymtnconstruction.com/roller-coasters.php

• Like 1

Still a gimmick..

I don't think the Gerstlauer trains are RMC issues. The track from my understanding has been perfectly safe. The trains however.

Furthermore until you guys have ridden an RMC I wouldn't be so quick to call them gimmicks. The New Texas Giant is still my second favorite coaster out of the 212 coasters that I have ridden.

• Like 1

GCI is a registered trademark and, as such, is always capitalized here.

GCI, given its business philosophy, track record, reputation and inclination, is highly unlikely to start designing and building wooden coasters with inversions. It's not totally out of the question, but in the forseeable future it's about as likely as the Bengals winning the Super Bowl.

• Like 2