Six Flags New England's Cyclone Closing

Im very mad about this and how Six Flags is tearing down every wooden rollercoaster. First Texas Giant(Which I personally think should still be a woodie even though its a great coaster as the NTG) then Rattler(Did not care for it) then Medusa (No point to RMC that since it is a very new woodie) Rolling Thunder(R.I.P) Colossus(Never will get to ride it and it was an okay coaster :( ) and now Cyclone(Its a fun coaster that maybe a little rough but had an instresting layout). Just imagine what would happen if Six Flags owned CF *shudders*

For me, here's the thing with Mean Streak....

I'm not a fan of the ride itself, because it is honestly quite boring, but I do have reasons for riding Mean Streak once during every visit to the park.....(and only once)

I'd say it's usually about 7:00 in the evening, or somewhere around there, when the sun is starting to go down, I head for Mean Streak, and generally walk onto it, or wait 1 or 2 trains. Soon after the "all-clear" is given and we head for the lift-hill, I start to realize exactly why I decided to ride Mean Streak. As I head up the lift hill, I look to my left and take in a view that, to me, is one if the best in the park.....

The structure of a wooden roller coaster surrounding me, while looking out over the lake and watching the sun go down. The lake sparkles so perfectly and for that moment in time, I am truly pleased with my view from the peninsula.....And Mean Streak.

There's not much more I can say to describe the perspective of the lake that you get while on the Mean Streak lift hill. If you haven't gotten a ride in on Mean Streak during that time of day, I would most definitely recommend it!

• Like 4

I don't think too many people would argue that Mean Streak isn't visually impressive. It certainly is. I personally get far more intimidated (in a good way) by the massive wooden structures of rides like SOB and Mean Streak than I do by the taller but less substantial structures of rides like Dragster and Diamondback. If only they ran as good as they look/looked.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Six Flags New England fan-site, @sfneonline has shared pictures of RMC track at the Cyclone site.....

28knaeh.jpg

Photo: @sfneonline via Twitter

I so saw the New England Skyscreamer as a part of the track that was added! Haha!

But I'm not surprised with the RMC treatment. At least they're starting on the construction now, maybe (doubtful) the attraction will open on time!

The more time goes on, the more I detest what Six Flags is doing to their wooden coasters.

I mean, if you're going to close a wooden coaster, at least have the decency to build something entirely new in its place. And when I say "build something entirely new," I don't mean "build something with the word 'new' in the title."

• Like 3

The New Texas Giant is pretty popular...

And I understand why they did it to a ride like that. It was rough, low ridership, and not a fan favorite (Mean Streak anyone?) It just seems like Six Flags now has a plan to either transform or tear down all of their wooden coasters.

• Like 1

As long as they stay the heck away from Boss... :)

I'm not a fan of this being Six Flags' new solution for older-to-oldish wooden coasters, but I guess I can see their justification for it. The thing is: Iron Rattler's a great ride, but a significant remodeling by GCI seems just as marketable. I wish Six Flags would pursue other options than just RMC (or the Rolling Thunder treatment.)

• Like 1

What's worse is that Six Flags and RMC market the Topper Track model as wooden coasters, which they clearly aren't if you study the track design closely. I kind of fear for actual wooden coaster producers like Gravity Group and GCI having to compete with a wooden coaster knock off which it spreading like wildfire in Six Flags.

• Like 3

I have a running theory that SFMM is just in a location not conducive for running wooden coasters. Its practically in the middle of a desert. I would imagine air that dry plus the heat must be torture for wooden coaster track.

I do agree that most of Six Flags' GCI collection isn't that great. The Roar duo are earlier models, plus the SFA one runs with PTC trains, which, as we've seen on early GCI's, aren't a good combination. Although, I preferred PTC's on Wildcat at HP, but that's just me. After that its Apocalypse which I believe suffers from being in a desert, and American Thunder at SFStL which is decent.

While, the RMC coasters have good reviews, I have a feeling that they're going to really only stay with SIX. I'm okay with that. I'd rather have a real wooden coaster at a park I visit frequently. I don't go to any Six Flags park for several reasons, but them doing the RMC treatment on several wooden coasters is another bullet point on the list for me.