Verruckt - the world's tallest water slide @ Schlitterbahn Kansas is delayed... again...

Not looking good at all for them. I hope they can get this thing together before the summer's out.

To put this ride into perspective:

Verruckt: 168ft, 7in

Banshee: 167ft

In early tests, rafts carrying sandbags flew off the slide, prompting engineers to tear down half of the ride and reconfigure some angles at a cost of $1 million, Henry said.

More:

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/u-s-world/opening-of-worlds-tallest-water-slide-delayed_20881684

• Like 3

And some enthusiasts question again and again why parks go to B&M over and over for large coasters. Their rides just work. And open on time. And have an incredible safety record.

Yes, they come at premium prices. But, as is often the case, you get no more than you pay for. Pay less, get less.

B&M: The engineering goes in before the first footing does.

Yes, this is a water attraction. But, extensive computer modeling should have predicted this. It's not 1950.

• Like 21

Top Thrill Dragster pushed the envelope.

Shoot the Rapids pushed the envelope.

Pilgrim's Plunge pushed the envelope.

Drachen Fire pushed the envelope.

Son of Beast pushed the envelope.

Chaos pushed the envelope.

Timber Tower pushed the envelope.

Rattler pushed the envelope.

Hercules pushed the envelope.

Maverick pushed the envelope.

The Texas Giant pushed the envelope.

Knott's WindSeeker pushed the envelope.

Most park companies are more interested in safety, reliability, guest comfort and the bottom line.

• Like 8

From the article linked to the in the original post:

Schlitterbahn co-owner Jeff Henry told USA Today that he and senior designer John Schooley had based their calculations when designing the slide on roller coasters, but that didn't translate well to a water slide like Verruckt.

... Really?

I think Action Park made the same assumption.

• Like 15

In early tests, rafts carrying sandbags flew off the slide, prompting engineers to tear down half of the ride and reconfigure some angles at a cost of $1 million, Henry said.

Does this statement not concern anyone else? This is a quote from the park, FLEW OFF THE SLIDE. Seriously that is not good. Amazed at the poor engineering done on this thing, along with this the wrong calculations is a second concern. Did they Google the calculations? We all know everything on the internet is accurate. Then again if I were building attraction like this I would have hired a firm with expertise in the water slide industry or maybe those respected companies wouldn't build an attraction like this. Hmmm a certain Son had the same issue.

• Like 11

I actually watched the show last night (the name escapes me) that followed the building of this water slide. The rafts flying off happened twice once on the first slide built 1/2 scale and once on the actual slide. I was a bit surprised that it happened, however, the slide has since been rebuilt and there has been human testing without the rafts flying off. They've since added netting around the slide (above it too).

Netting Overhead? Awesome. One can take that first hill really hard and launch themselves out of the raft and grab onto the netting like trying to clear the cargo net in American Ninja Warriors. Just make sure you don't wear yourself out on it because there are a few more obstacles left.

Attach some ropes and slides and you got a children's' play area all in one.

• Like 10

Netting Overhead? Awesome. One can take that first hill really hard and launch themselves out of the raft and grab onto the netting like trying to clear the cargo net in American Ninja Warriors. Just make sure you don't wear yourself out on it because there are a few more obstacles left.

I legitimately giggled out loud over this. Nice!

• Like 3