KI Pet Peeves

emileeee

What irks you when you're at the park?

For me, it's the guests waiting in line for Delirium. The ride ops CLEARLY say to STAND on your assigned number, and when I go to stand on mine there is a pod of guests carelessly hovering over where I'm supposed to stand. It makes me so mad that they lack the ability to listen to simple instructions. Just. Ugh. My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 15

Add to that: the tweens whose mothers let them go off on their own and reap the benefits of being discipline free for a few hours by causing a ruckus. One time while in a 40 minute FoF queue, about five 12-13 year old boys kept shoving each other into me on purpose. I followed them back to their parents and about told on them.

• Like 7

Add to that: the tweens whose mothers let them go off on their own and reap the benefits of being discipline free for a few hours by causing a ruckus. One time while in a 40 minute FoF queue, about five 12-13 year old boys kept shoving each other into me on purpose. I followed them back to their parents and about told on them.

That's not creepy or anything.

• Like 6

On Delirium, not only do they not stand on their numbers (which I hate because otherwise I forget, I have a goldfish's memory for numbers), but they typically wander about a foot into the pen and stop, and those behind them are hesitant to push past, so everyone else ends up in a wad behind the operator shelter. Also, whoever is standing in front of the gate is never paying attention, so they have to be told like five times "push on the gates and go to your assigned seats." I've taken to maneuvering to the gate myself if no one else is standing on their numbers (especially if someone is on mine so I can't stand on it to remember).

Another pet peeve for me is people who stomp on the seat as they're getting off a coaster. Bonus points if they've just gotten off Congo Falls or WWC and goosh dirty water all over the seat.

Edited: thought of another one. When a rider thinks it is funny to repeatedly shout "clear!" when the ride ops are doing their scan or whatever it is called. This has invariably been an unsupervised boy when I've observed it.

• Like 12

I hate people who are mean to you in line for no reason. My friend doesn't know a lot about roller coasters and hadn't been to the park since he was 5 (now 13) and I was explaining all the changes the park has done since then. Then these two girls about our age call me and my friend annoying. My friend then called her a name I don't wish to repeat for fear of getting banned and then the girls are like, "You can't call us that we're girls! You can't be mean to us." So I told her, "So you're allowed to insult me and my friend and it's okay but when we try to offend ourselves we're the bad guys?" Then about 3 people back some guy just yells, "DAYUM STRAIGHT!" Of course the girls then told the ride op giving people seat numbers that we were being bullies. She asked us to get out of line and go to the back until about 5 people around me and my friend supported us and the tables were turned! They were not asked to go to the back of the line however, They were just politely asked to stop. I was kind of disappointed that more justice wasn't done but I'm just grateful we didn't have to go back to the beginning of the 30 minute wait.

• Like 11

Guest dtk1376

For me it would be kids running around the park instead of walking. People walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk, this isn't England anyways. People making a full line across the pathway to where you have to turn sideways just to walk through them. And finally parents that sit there and let their kids climb on the railings in the queue lines like it's their own personal gym, my 4 year old will ask if she can do it when she see's a kid directly next to her doing it and I will tell her no, when she asks why the other kids can do it I tell her it's because she's better than that and I am not shy about it.

• Like 14

And game barkers and ride ops with mikes who think they are the entertainment.

Guests who don't wear deodorant.

People who talk and/or play with cellphones during shows.

People who congregate at ride entrances and won't move.

Enthusiasts who have to bore everyone in the park with their "knowledge," much of which is frequently very wrong.

Being with a group that keeps engaging in long discussions about what to ride next.

• Like 22

That's not creepy or anything.

Okay, maybe not followed, but we were headed for Banshee. I saw them meet up with all their mothers and I could've said something.

• Like 2

People who block the ride entrance while having their child measured or other assorted long conversations with the employee waiting there. Employees who don't make any attempt to move such conversations out of the way of the entrance.

The bottleneck caused by bag carriers and the ensuing discussions (always in the way of traffic flow) is often nearly as long a wait on Banshee as the actual line. At least it feels that way.

• Like 10

Guest waitinginline617

Groups who tell a ride op that one member of their group isn't riding and will be taking their bags, then proceed to shove their belongings and bags under shirts and all other places imaginable (particularly in line for Firehawk). We all paid for a locker for a reason!!

People who loudly complain to anyone who will listen about losing belongings on the ride when they are repeatedly told to keep them secured or in the bin.

People who complain about getting "too wet" on the water rides.

• Like 6

Being with a group that keeps engaging in long discussions about what to ride next.

Guilty, particularly in KIC groups, very guilty.

One technique to solve that problem is to pick any ride and get half the group to start walking in that direction.

• Like 4

People who argue with ride ops about their kid, "BUT, she just rode it this morning....pleeeease."

That also happens at my local pool. The kid gets to the top of the slide with their parent and the employee has to measure them and send them down if their too short or get a wrist band at the front entrance to show that their tall enough and the parents just complain and all of us waiting to go down the slides have to wait a long time. A similar thing also happened to me on The Racer when I was sitting second to the front and this little girl was well below 48" and the dad started swearing at the ride op and then gave him the finger when they asked him to leave. It delayed the ride leaving the station for about 10 minutes.

• Like 2

Guests who congregate in big groups in the middle of the midway.

Guests who try to tell you they went to Cedar Point (or any other park for that matter) and tell you that they got stuck on ____ (any given ride) for 8 hours, upside down/ at the very top/any given position because another ride vehicle hit the 3rd one, or some far-fetched story.

• Like 13

Guest dtk1376

People who scream like they're on Banshee.... while on the Scrambler! Before it starts moving. :wacko:

They do that all the time on Viking Fury too, it is quite annoying and very few have ever seemed to think it was as funny as they did.

• Like 6

Sorry guys, I'm one of those people that doesn't stand on their number at Delirium, but I promise I can remember my number and won't steal anyone's seat. ;] I get up to the gate and stand as close as possible so that anyone could stand on their number behind me, I like to be close to the gate so I can push it open immediately and go to put my bags away.

During my last visit something bothered me a lot. At Delirium actually. When I went to get my bags, the woman in front of me grabbed her sandals and put them on right in front of the bin, still blocking everyone waiting to get their things. On top of that, it seems her souvenir cup had spilled almost all over my bag and the bottom of the bin, probably all over other people's belongings too. What do you guys think, should souvenir cups be put in bins along with everything else or set next to the bin to prevent spills like that?

• Like 3

Line jumpers...it never ceases to amaze me how people think its alright to cut in front of a bunch of people to get to the front of a line. I normally am not ok with this, especially if I have been waiting for a long time. I have been snowed plenty of times in the past, I won't stand for it now. If you get out of line, too bad. Go back to the beginning. And if you really do have a group waiting for you...have them come back with you. It stinks, but it is far worse for those who have worked for their spot in line!

Or parents who get angry with you when their kids are acting up and being rude and you say something to them for: bumping into you harshly, shoving, running in front of you...etc. The way I see it is, they're YOUR kids keep an eye on YOUR kids and teach them some manners while in a public place! If not I WILL!!!

Not least to forget, the "macho" teenage boy who wants to start a fist fight in line and cause a scene because hes angry about how some other equally "macho" kid looked at him. GET OVER YOURSELF!!!

Last but not least, a personal peeve of mine is how people have looked at a certain family member of mine and have said cruel things about the big scar on her stomach. She sometimes wears a shorter shirt because its hot outside ( and she personally is not ashamed of the scar ) and its nothing out of the ordinary, but I have seen some very snotty young people stare, laugh and say crude things ( I can read lips very well ) and I have actually said something before because I will not tolerate the ignorance. If they only knew what she had gone through to have such a scar and still be alive today enjoying the park, they might not be so foolish to say anything. This goes for anyone with something different about them on the outside...I can't stand how ignorant and close minded the GP that goes to the park are and how obvious they make it.

Otherwise, I generally tend to try very hard to ignore some of the annoying things people do. I am there to have fun and not have a conniption or cause a scene. But I will stand my ground if someone tries to step on my toes or anyone I am with.

• Like 12

Standing in line and having(usually teens or younger kids) go excuse me and push past you and others cause they are with someone much farther up the line they know(or so they claim). My GF has got to the point where she will intentionally block them and tells them no cause it has happened so much.

Also people who get to the entrance to a line and block it standing around talking, waiting for someone way back, deciding if they want to ride the ride they are blocking etc. Ugg stand off to the the side people lol

• Like 11

Groups who ask if they can go in front of you to keep their group together.

Um, no. If anything, it works the other way around. You should be allowing others in front of YOU if you wish to keep your entire group together.

I will say that I enjoyed the people at Kentucky Kingdom. Very few of the annoyances I often experience at Kings Island were happening there. On both coasters, I had groups of three ask if I wanted to ride with them since I was by myself. I stood and chatted with them while we were waiting for the next train and had some fun and interesting conversations. Could we please transplant some of that southern hospitality up north of the river?

• Like 14

Groups who ask if they can go in front of you to keep their group together.

Um, no. If anything, it works the other way around. You should be allowing others in front of YOU if you wish to keep your entire group together.

I will say that I enjoyed the people at Kentucky Kingdom. Very few of the annoyances I often experience at Kings Island were happening there. On both coasters, I had groups of three ask if I wanted to ride with them since I was by myself. I stood and chatted with them while we were waiting for the next train and had some fun and interesting conversations. Could we please transplant some of that southern hospitality up north of the river?

I would take that any day over those who cut through closed queues and "join" the line half way through.
  • Like 8