KI Pet Peeves

emileeee

Actually my daughter had a few good experiences with the "Kiddy Pens". She actually asked me to go ride AE(which she wasen't tall enough for yet) while she waited in the KP because she wanted to watch her daddy ride it to see what its like, even if she only got to see me leaving and coming back to the station. She said it looked neat afterwards and told me she wanted to ride it when she was tall enough(which she did, over and over and over :-) )

• Like 10

What also upsets me is when a kid is to young/small to ride and their parents make them wait in line with them and then sit in the corner in the station while they ride it! Have they heard of parenting?? I feel like going up to these kids and giving them hugs!

I feel like if I were a parent who wanted to go to Kings Island, I would consider only two options:

1) Go to the park and ride only rides that the little one is willing and able to ride, and enjoy seeing the happiness on my child's face

2) Hire a sitter for the day

I don't even like the idea of parent swap, to be honest. Though the kid doesn't have to wait alone, you're still making them wait in line for a ride they can't/don't want to ride, and that still rubs me the wrong way.

Though when I have kids, I plan on getting them into amusement parks as early as possible and get them on coasters before they are given any reason to see roller coasters as scary. I feel like kids are only afraid of coasters because they have friends or family who say that they are afraid of them, which in a young mind, can make a child fear something. If a kid doesn't realize there is anything to be afraid of, they shouldn't have any reason to be afraid, if that makes sense.

Those kiddie pens... I can't stand seeing a child in those, it almost looks like they are in jail, like KI Fanatic said, I just want to go give them a hug. I couldn't imagine my child having to sit in one of those just so I can ride a roller coaster.

I disagree with these posts, strongly. As children, my brother and I got to do everything we wanted to in HB Land on each trip to KI, then my parents got their turn to ride the coasters that they enjoyed. While we didn't get to ride those coasters because we weren't tall enough, my brother and I were always fascinated with them and enjoyed just watching them run their course. Plus we got to spend time together as a family in line. And it taught us that the world doesn't revolve around us; why should we be the only ones who get to ride what we want to? Why shouldn't we share the joy of a trip to KI with our parents by letting them ride the rides that they like? As my parents would roll into the station, they were typically greeted with us geeking out just as much or moreso than they did while riding the ride as we grilled them with questions about how high up they were, how fast they went, and what the heck it's like to go upside-down.

I mean think about what some of you are saying. You'd rather get a sitter than get to spend that time with your child(ren) while also getting to enjoy the rides that you like? "Have you heard of parenting??"

Shame on all of you who question the parenting methods of any parent who does that. I feel like my parents have been personally attacked on here, and they're not here to defend themselves.

It's one thing to say "I wouldn't do that with my kid(s)". I can respect anyone that has a different philosophy, even if I might disagree. But to say things like "have they heard of parenting??" crosses the line of "I disagree" and into the realm of a personal attack.

• Like 12

The pens might be boring (I don't remember them myself, but I always had a parent or older sibling with me).

Maybe there should be an interactive, large-screen interface with the ORP cameras, where kids can watch for their parents on the screen and "zap" them as they go by, making the picture that much more fun for all. It would be entertaining to see all the little circles pop up on the screen as the trains go by. Maybe there could be two or three of these passes along the track, so kids have 2-3 chances to get a good pic. Probably already exists somewhere.

• Like 7

Guest dtk1376

If I am at an amusement park with my child, I want to spend time with my child. I will ride with her for the family rides such as Scrambler, Shake Rattle & Roll (whenever it starts running again), Monster, etc. And I will stand in line with her for the kiddie rides that I am unable to ride with her. The rides that she is unable to ride though, I have a season pass and I can ride those rides on my own time if I really feel the need.

But that is not going to stop me from feeling bad for a child that I see sitting in the cage all by themselves staring at the ground. It might not be as bad if maybe there was something for them to do (like Thrill Biscuit suggested) but it just looks so much like a jail. Your experience may have been different because you had someone to sit there with and talk to which doesn't sound as bad in that scenario, but a lot of the kids I see in those do not look like they are as happy as you described. I honestly don't care what you think of me, I am not trying to "attack your parents" as you think I am, nor am I questioning anyone's parenting abilities, this thread is titled KI Pet Peeves, and this is one of my pet peeves at Kings Island.

• Like 5

The kid is in there for what, 5 minutes? I think they'll be fine. They probably don't need a hug from some bleeding heart stranger who "couldn't imagine" their own child being left un-entertained for a few minutes. Some parents aren't quite as soft, however....thankfully.

• Like 6

Typically on Racer, ride ops feel the need to push bars in and staple you. I know "why" they do it, they are trained to measure between their thumb and pinky, but when you have larger hands, common sense should prevail. I had shown one kid that my fingers had more than an inch clear and he shoved the restraint down one more. Then when I complained told me I need to push the bar in so they could release it to adjust it. (It was not possible for me to push in to release because it was too tight.) Plus when I complain, it's down two clicks and I can *still* ride (with comfort) which just emphasizes they knew I was ok to ride in the first place. I rode this ride far more comfortably before I started losing weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I hate high schoolers and older telling kids in like 2nd grade that people have died on this ride or, my favorite, "The Beast eats little kids like you." and scaring the crap out of them and then having to listen to them cry and wail the entire ride. Last year my friend Logan had never ridden Vortex because when he was little his grandma said that over 40 people have died on it. Me and him were both starting 7th grade and he was still terrified. I got him on it and he just wanted to keep riding and it's now his favorite. But here's another fun little story. I was just old enough to go to KI by myself and all 3 people I've taken (I've gone about 15 times total with these 3 people) are terrified of Drop Tower because someone told them it was deadly. Oh well, still one of my favorites.

• Like 6

Guest dtk1376

If you listen to news reports you would think every ride is deadly lol. There's another pet peeve, news stations blowing small issues at a theme park way out of proportion. ;)

• Like 10

I feel like if I were a parent who wanted to go to Kings Island, I would consider only two options:

1) Go to the park and ride only rides that the little one is willing and able to ride, and enjoy seeing the happiness on my child's face

2) Hire a sitter for the day

I don't even like the idea of parent swap, to be honest. Though the kid doesn't have to wait alone, you're still making them wait in line for a ride they can't/don't want to ride, and that still rubs me the wrong way.

Though when I have kids, I plan on getting them into amusement parks as early as possible and get them on coasters before they are given any reason to see roller coasters as scary. I feel like kids are only afraid of coasters because they have friends or family who say that they are afraid of them, which in a young mind, can make a child fear something. If a kid doesn't realize there is anything to be afraid of, they shouldn't have any reason to be afraid, if that makes sense.

As someone who has spent many hours in the Montu/Gwazi kid corral as a tiny one, I agree.

Edit: maybe not HOURS, but it felt that way

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm in the minority, and maybe it's just because I don't go to the park as often as most of you, but during my most recent visits I have encountered pretty much none of the rude guest behavior that many of you have described, knock on wood! The only off-putting behavior that I have witnessed this year has been the couple that gets a little too "romantic" in line, and I've seen that more than once. Outside of that though my experience with other patrons has been really positive.

• Like 6

My two cents on leaving your kids in those corals at the station while you ride-I am concerned about the safety of leaving your children unattended. The ride staff has a ride to run and are not babysitters. Someone said "its only 5 minutes" but it does not take that long for something to happen. I am not questioning anyone's parenting but I say either use parent swap or wait for your children to get big enough to ride the height restricted rides

• Like 6

As a parent, I feel it is important to tea h my son many many things. Part of this teaching will be about waiting and being part of a group. If that means they must wait in a line and not get the enjoyment out of the ride, then that happens.

Plus it's not like we are talking about a 3 year old in the corral. Many times they are 6/7/8/9 years of age. Old enough to scream for help if someone is stealing them. But when you get have kids, you will know your kid and what they can handle.

The parent swap at Disney seems to be one of the greatest inventions ever made.

• Like 6

My two cents on leaving your kids in those corals at the station while you ride-I am concerned about the safety of leaving your children unattended. The ride staff has a ride to run and are not babysitters. Someone said "its only 5 minutes" but it does not take that long for something to happen. I am not questioning anyone's parenting but I say either use parent swap or wait for your children to get big enough to ride the height restricted rides

I can't and therefore won't argue against that concern. If that is why you don't want to leave your child in those pen things, then I can buy that reasoning way more than the "you're a bad parent for making your child wait in line with you and then wait 5 minutes for you while you rode a ride that they can't" argument. Times are certainly different now than when I grew up and I can't blame anyone who chooses to keep an eye on their child at all times.

• Like 5

If you listen to news reports you would think every ride is deadly lol. There's another pet peeve, news stations blowing small issues at a theme park way out of proportion. ;)

When BB was getting changed to Soak City, Channel 9 news (WCPO), they kept calling it the all new "Splash City". I wanted to reach threw my TV and be like, Soak City!

I get annoyed when guests reference Final Destination 3 while in line for a coaster.

When I go on a cruise, I like to talk about Titanic...

• Like 7

When BB was getting changed to Soak City, Channel 9 news (WCPO), they kept calling it the all new "Splash City". I wanted to reach threw my TV and be like, Soak City!

I get annoyed when guests reference Final Destination 3 while in line for a coaster.

Or even scarier since it was recent, The Costa Concordia

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

As a parent, I feel it is important to tea h my son many many things. Part of this teaching will be about waiting and being part of a group. If that means they must wait in a line and not get the enjoyment out of the ride, then that happens.

Plus it's not like we are talking about a 3 year old in the corral. Many times they are 6/7/8/9 years of age. Old enough to scream for help if someone is stealing them. But when you get have kids, you will know your kid and what they can handle.

The parent swap at Disney seems to be one of the greatest inventions ever made.

Most kids 6+ can at least ride Racer, Adventure Express, Beast, etc, just not the really big rides, and most kids that age are fine to be left on their own for a few minutes. I have seen kids in the 2-5 year old range left behind though, kids that definitely couldn't fend for themselves if something were to happen. Speaking of that, I have seen kids in that 2-5 range in there climbing around on the equipment in the corrals to the point they might bust their head, that is something the ride ops should not be having to be responsible for.

• Like 3

Or even scarier since it was recent, The Costa Concordia

Theirs that too and Poseidon (the movie)... I would be the weird one wanting to watch that and Titanic in my stateroom (only issue is i'm hardly ever in my stateroom cause the ship is like a Carnival :) )!

• Like 1

Sorry for double post but I just thought of one which I might forget.

Something that really drives me up a wall is people that complain about haunted houses being to scary! This is probably my biggest pet peeve out of everything.

As long as they aren't like physically grabbing you/ hurting you, a haunted house is supposed to scare you! An exception would be if your at a place like Disney World...

I've heard this being an issue at Universal Orlando, about a lot of people saying it's to scary and then UOR, toning it back. But if that's true ohhhh the words i'd say to them...

• Like 5

Indeed.

Those people should do like I do that time of year--stay home. Let the target market be targeted. Don't spoil others' fun.

It's not appropriate.

And to those parents who bring their little ones and then want everything tamed down to avoid scaring the wee ones...STAY HOME. This is not the time for timid little ones. If it's not appropriate for your kid, don't bring them.

• Like 12