KI Pet Peeves

emileeee

Not to mention it is nearly impossible to design a comfortable restraint system for park rides that safely contains an agitated disturbed person who wants out NOW. Especially if said person is small.

I've often wondered how a parent that forced a kid on a ride would feel if the kid died on the ride, for whatever reason. And what about the ride operator?

Rides are supposed to be pleasures, not two minutes of unmitigated hell.

As I approach 60, I find ride ops trying to discourage me from riding, and warning me of rides' extremes. Rather than find this annoying, I find it amusing.

• Like 10

This one applies everywhere but it seems very prevalent at Kings Island. Kids on leashes. Why is this a thing now? The worst part is that in the families I see using them, there are usually two adults for every child. It's not like a single mother with four toddlers we're talking about here.

The other day while walking into the park I saw a child on a leash trip and fall. The parent who wasn't paying attention (Because why would you? Your child is on a leash. You don't need to be attentive) trips over the leash and falls, almost onto the child. I made sure everyone got up and was ok before I laughed hysterically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

We are getting one of those leash back packs for my son when we go to Disney. The idea is that if he were to let go of my hand, trip, I tie my shoe (insert any situation that separates he from I ), that I would still have a grip on him.

Plus in large crowded places people can get lost or worst.

• Like 6

I think shark6495 has an excellant point. I don't have kids but I am sure that with all the scary things that can happen a leash may be not only a convenience but a necessity especially in a big crowded place.

• Like 4

We are getting one of those leash back packs for my son when we go to Disney. The idea is that if he were to let go of my hand, trip, I tie my shoe (insert any situation that separates he from I ), that I would still have a grip on him.

Plus in large crowded places people can get lost or worst.

I'm not going to lie, if I had do-overs, I would have had four backpack/leashes. Shrug off people who look oddly at you- it's obvious they have no idea about bouncy kids, or are completely oblivious to how fast their own child can take off, if they have any children.
  • Like 3

Haha now they are so different than the previous ones. Now will I do this when my little one is over the age of 7, I hope I dot have to.

Added bonus, my dad had a stroke and it will make me feel a bit better having him watch my son or if they want to ride a IDE together....

Now Terp, if you didn't move with the leash on, I'm guessing you couldn't run away.... Same result right?

• Like 4

This happened to me this week and it really irritated me.

It really bothers me how "coaster enthusiasts' can come off so rude and immature. I was having a conversation with an older man in Banshee's line and he mentioned "Drop Zone", the coaster enthusiasts rudely interrupted our conversation and corrected him on the rides new name. He continued to be annoying and rude throughout ERT. It took all of my strength to not yell at him to shut up. I understand not all of us are like this, but it really does give us a bad name and makes us look like a bunch of rude losers, because, honestly, that is what this man was.

• Like 12

There was at least one VERY serious injury caused by a flying cell phone:

Years ago at Geauga Lake.

In recent years at Cedar Point.

At Islands of Adventure.

Were it up to me, loose objects on a ride would be cause for prosecution and a permanent ban from the park. EVERY time.

Also, in a POV for Shockwave at Kings Dominion, someone clearly lost their phone coming into the helix.

When I was a kid, I went to KI with Girl Scouts. On a ride of Vortex, one of the girls lost her purse on a loop. When we got off the ride, she was frantic over its loss. Then one of the other girls, who had been sitting farther back in the train said "oh, was this yours?" and handed her the purse, which she had caught.

One of my pet peeves is getting hit in the face, particularly the mouth, with liquid during a ride. If it's been raining recently, at least I can suppose it was a drip from the structure. Other times, I worry it is spit from farther up the train. It really takes the enjoyment out of a ride when you're thinking "what the heck was that?" Bugs are also not nice, especially in the mouth.

At least I haven't been hit by a bird on a coaster yet.

• Like 7

-People calling every inversion a loop

-People complaining with ride ops

-People who don't help someone pick up something they've dropped in a busy walkway

-Grown men shrieking on smaller rides thinking that it's funny

-People constantly hitting you/running into you in line.

-(Not to be racist here) but African-American men using the "N-Word" way too much.

-People screaming in lines and walkways.

-Children (and teens) acting like brats

-People around my age (13/14) making out with a lot of tongue and groans. ew.

That's just my main pet peeves.

• Like 5

This past Saturday as I was next in line to board Surfdog an eldery man cut himself on the ride and began bleeding profusely fromm an area near his elbow. It looked like he hadan existing wound. The Ride Op was obisoulsy flustered and didn't know what to do so he first offered the man a tiny bandage, which would have been no help at all. He then told the man to exit the ride, which he did, bleeding all over the exit railing. The ride op then got on the horn and called for a first aid team to come and clean the ridew ince the man had bled all over his seat and the seats next to him. Several minutes went by and nobody in sight. At this point, we were ordered by the ride ops to wait just behind the gate in the exit que. The ride was going to be full, so imagine 30 or so of us crammed into the exit area where blood was still visible and now dripping from the railing. We were told to wait there and not leave the area, even though none of us were exposed to any blood (though we were all trying to avoid the blood on the railing).

About another 30 minutes and 2 phone calls later and still no haz mat team has made their way to the now closed ride. As I didn't want to spend my whole day waiting for smeone to come and clean the blood and/or question me about what I saw, I simply left the ride and went about my day. I know Saturday was a busy day at the park, but in the absence of any other emergencies, I would have hoped a team could have made the short trek to the ride from the first aid hub. I don't know what the protocol is for handling blood, but in every job I've had, it is treated as an emergency and handled quickly. I was sorely disappointed in the lack of a quick response from the park.

• Like 4

hmmm... I've got a couple.

1) someone mentioned it before, and I assume they still do. tweens and teens that scream in The Beast tunnels. I assume they still do it, though I haven't braved the ride in 2 years.

2) Over the weekend they had a Luau in Soak City. Great idea; tons of people with very few options = 2 HUGE lines converging on one area for food. "swimming" in the big wave pool.... and half the thing is blocked off. and a huge line of people waiting so that they can sit in a tube in 3.5' of water. Who among us didn't see that one coming. Again, Great idea... free food- but only lasted 2.5 hours and the food lines were over an hour. Good idea, don't want to fault them for it- but they must have under estimated the response.

3) People that choose to smoke anywhere as if the rule/request doesn't apply to them.

4) guests with inappropriate/exposed tattoos. At SC the other day and noticed a lady (mid-20's) with the word "_itch" tattoo'd on her ankle/foot. first of all, why would you immortalize that on your person.

5) many other guest'isms.

Actually, outside of the issue at the water park on Saturday- which had to be an underestimation function, the park- grounds, theming, rides, employees have been pretty solid this year.

• Like 7

In the wait to re-enter The Racer station one day this season, a trashy guy behind me was complaining loudly about losing his cigarette on the ride. I don't know for sure he was talking about a lit cigarette, but I believe it was. He was mostly complaining about not being able to smoke while "stuck" on the ride. He was a real winner, let me tell you.

A woman in her fifties behind me in line for Adventure Express was smoking last time I was at the park. It is a particularly bad line to have a smoker in because it is so enclosed. I didn't feel like finding security because I was fairly sure they wouldn't do anything anyway. Fortunately there does seem to be a lot less smoking outside the designated areas than in the past.

• Like 3