KI Pet Peeves

emileeee

before this year I never wore my glasses on rides but The Interpreter was suggesting croakies to someone and I saw them at REI and now will not ride without them. Thanks Terpy you may have saved my eye.

You are welcome. Just remember that Croakies is a registered trademark, and, as such, is always capitalized here.

• Like 2

Guests who congregate in big groups in the middle of the midway.

Guests who try to tell you they went to Cedar Point (or any other park for that matter) and tell you that they got stuck on ____ (any given ride) for 8 hours, upside down/ at the very top/any given position because another ride vehicle hit the 3rd one, or some far-fetched story.

You might of over heard me, I got stuck on Shoot The Rapids and two other boats crashed into me. We had to be evacuated. Then, they took down our names and numbers.
  • Like 3

^ Now imagine a person not wearing glasses of some kind taking that bug directly to the eye. That does not sound fun.

It's not, I took a bug in the eye on Son of Beast back in 2007. Not only did it hurt, but got stuck and had to go to first aid to get it rinsed out. Since that day I have worn sunglasses on all rides, I even wear my sunglasses at night.

• Like 4

Definitely for me it would be people not knowing what the ride names are and getting them all wrong. Especially the adults who are holding a map still saying the wrong thing. Drives me crazy!

I say incorrect ride names all the time.

Several rides have had multiple name changes througout my life. I still refer to the ride as the name I originally knew it as.

• Like 5

I call most of the rides by their former names or whatever my son calls them (ie "the ladybug ride" or "the pumpkin patch ride" in Planet Snoopy, which yeah, I might still call HB) ;)

My hugest pet peeve from a recent visit is the spray on sunscreen! People are totally oblivious to the people around them when spraying this crap so liberally that I can taste it. I really hate this stuff and it shouldn't even be used around children because of the inhalation risk. Please have the courtesy to note which way the wind is blowing and kindly move away from bystanders who don't want to breathe in your sunscreen.

• Like 2

What also upsets me is when a kid is to young/small to ride and their parents make them wait in line with them and then sit in the corner in the station while they ride it! Have they heard of parenting?? I feel like going up to these kids and giving them hugs!

I enjoyed the kiddie pens back in my under 48" days, honest.

My pet peeves are:

-People's lack of knowledge on lightning

-Guest (typicaly high schoolers) who think the midway is a fashion rumway. I once saw someone replying her makeup while walking as her friend guided her through the crowd.

-The need to bring ones whole life into the park.

-People who don't pause for the playing of the national anthem

Those kiddie pens... I can't stand seeing a child in those, it almost looks like they are in jail, like KI Fanatic said, I just want to go give them a hug. I couldn't imagine my child having to sit in one of those just so I can ride a roller coaster.

I could... and did. Rode the helicopters in Planet Snoopy enough times, there was much give and take in the family relationship. It wasn't exactly 'traumatic' for my sons, who grew up to love roller coasters. Perhaps because they got to see that they were FUN and not so SCARY, who knows? :D

• Like 3

The line at Backlot Stunt Coaster has to be the hottest line in the park on a sunny day. My son loves this ride & I enjoy going on it with him, but it's the only coaster that I can think of that has a significant amount of wait time out in the open.

• Like 1

What also upsets me is when a kid is to young/small to ride and their parents make them wait in line with them and then sit in the corner in the station while they ride it! Have they heard of parenting?? I feel like going up to these kids and giving them hugs!

I enjoyed the kiddie pens back in my under 48" days, honest.

My pet peeves are:

-People's lack of knowledge on lightning

-Guest (typicaly high schoolers) who think the midway is a fashion rumway. I once saw someone replying her makeup while walking as her friend guided her through the crowd.

-The need to bring ones whole life into the park.

-People who don't pause for the playing of the national anthem

Those kiddie pens... I can't stand seeing a child in those, it almost looks like they are in jail, like KI Fanatic said, I just want to go give them a hug. I couldn't imagine my child having to sit in one of those just so I can ride a roller coaster.

I could... and did. Rode the helicopters in Planet Snoopy enough times, there was much give and take in the family relationship. It wasn't exactly 'traumatic' for my sons, who grew up to love roller coasters. Perhaps because they got to see that they were FUN and not so SCARY, who knows? :D

I've never used the kiddie pens, but I completely agree with you that the helicopters in PS is more than a fair trade off. I've said this more than once, but I'm extremely thankful that the helicopters off very little interest to our children. 6 year old will out grow (54") much of PS, we'll see what the 2 year old demands next year when she reaches 36", but if I have my say, those helicopters will just be things for her to look at. Combine the slow moving line and heat box environment and there is nothing I find appealing about that ride.

Now, if I could just convince the boy that White Water Canyon is really just a once or twice a year ride, not something that needs to soak you every trip to the park I'd be in good shape :)

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

I'll take the helicopters over Sally's Sea Plane any day of the week. Usually the little one will say she doesn't want to ride it, but every now and then she does and I just have to groan and agree to go.

• Like 3

I'll take the helicopters over Sally's Sea Plane any day of the week. Usually the little one will say she doesn't want to ride it, but every now and then she does and I just have to groan and agree to go.

yeah that is bad as well, but at least the line is always short.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh, as if I needed a reminder that jerks are jerks and idiots are idiots.

I was waiting for Diamondback, in my favorite row. I got in line behind a couple pairs waiting in that row. When I got to the front of the gate to wait for next train (with a couple other sets behind me), two girls who had gotten into the next row toward the front of the train asked if I would "switch with those boys back there." I wasn't even able to tell who they meant at first, because the boys didn't seem to give a crap if they rode together with the girls or not. I could tell the girls were really annoyed I told them no, which apparently isn't a response they're used to getting.

Seriously, as a single rider I try to be loose about making things easier for others, and will comply with most requests that make things easier for groups, but these girls' plan was going to shuffle around five pairs of riders (the boys, two pairs behind them, two pairs behind me) and me, all just before our train was ready to load. It made very little sense except being the outrageous late request posited by these girls. It's not as though it was a power hour, there was plenty of time to organize an arrangement (one that didn't inconvenience anyone else) before that moment.

So anyway, we get on and they're radiating hate at me, and the boys are paying little attention to them. Halfway up the lift hill, surprise, surprise, out comes the phone to take selfies, and it stays out until the last brake run. Fortunately I didn't get it in the face, although I was hoping she'd drop it in a non-injuring fashion.

A police officer (black uniform security) came up the exit ramp when we were still sitting there behind the station, and I had an insane hope he was coming for her because they had seen it on the cameras and actually take it seriously. No such luck, he left again before we even got in the station, and I couldn't find any security after I got off. I checked the photos, but she had concealed it behind her other arm during the shots, so I had no proof other than my word anyway.

Sometimes people really steam me.

• Like 7

For some reason SOP @ KI does not allow stopping trains on the lift and taking said device. Hell about 90% of times or more, the op in controls doesn't even use the cameras to watch the lift/brake run when it passes through the zone to view the guests & trains. They're more concerned with watching the train park in the same way it always has everyday, and counting time for power hours and dispatch interval. Controls main job is to watch all ride units at all times as well as review the panel when able to safely do so and make sure there are no discrepancies or safety related issues. That's the basic definition of responsibilities in controls.

So why the park refuses to look at safety related issues such as a cell phone on a ride that goes almost 70mph and one part able to eject the object over a busy midway is beyond me. This is in violation of the ride's loose article policy, ORC, and the companies own cornerstones it stands proudly on. With Banshee, yeah, you'd have to ride stop, and go down/up guest article for a few minutes. But going downstairs, unlocking one fence to a set of stairs, and climbing up the lift hill a bit to take one phone can make or break that one fluke where a guest loses that article and is a repeat of so many other safety incidents involving loose articles that I know of.

It's better to stop operation of a ride to make sure everyone is as safe as possible during the duration of the ride, than to skip it for the sake of numbers or guest satisfaction with their time in the queue, than to have to stop once during the day because you need EMT's on scene, police, etc, and it becomes a much larger issue. I'd be happy to see the ride go down to make sure the guests are safe as that reiterates their focus to the main responsibilities of their job, than to see them cycle, then guess what, we're queued up for a ride that's going to be down for some time because ops couldn't pay attention or do what was needed to prevent an issue from happening. I think most guests would agree with this stance.

It's seriously not that hard to do what's needed that I explain above. That guest may not know the rules, there are stupid people out there. Reiterate the rules sternly and explain, that might get through to them, and if not, park security will def have your back if needed, they are there for a reason.

So all in all, let ops on platform watch the train park. If something happens they let go of the dispatch enable or they hit e stop, let them focus on that. The op in controls needs to watch the train on the lift & the panel to make sure no discrepancies, and occasionally watch the platform to make sure they don't need to release/lock a set of restraints, cross, etc. That's all secondary to safety. Once the ops are good on platform, they'll clear, you'll see what you need on panel and platform, you call a clear, and watch the train dispatch completely, then get back to monitoring outside of platform with your cameras & what you have visuals on.

Safety is #1 ALWAYS. Until the SOP @ KI is changed, their focus is elsewhere and not guaranteeing this cornerstone to it's guests and employees, all day, every day, and every guest.

Another pet peeve came to mind that drives me banannas. When I am by myself at Banshee I often choose a row with three people to fill up empty seats. Sometimes the person in front of me will take the first seat while the other two people will take the two seats on the right. This leaves the second seat open and often when I proceed to get into that seat the person in the left seat will then jump up and say they want to sit with their party like I did something wrong. A word of advice to such people: Try to be a little more considerate toward a single rider who might be behind you.

• Like 9

Another pet peeve came to mind that drives me banannas. When I am by myself at Banshee I often choose a row with three people to fill up empty seats. Sometimes the person in front of me will take the first seat while the other two people will take the two seats on the right. This leaves the second seat open and often when I proceed to get into that seat the person in the left seat will then jump up and say they want to sit with their party like I did something wrong. A word of advice to such people: Try to be a little more considerate toward a single rider who might be behind you.

"Then you shouldn't have left an empty seat in the middle. :) *pulls down harness*"

• Like 3

Gate hangers.

These are people who are waiting outside the exit gate for someone to get off a ride but are unable to recognize that other people are also riding and need to exit. So, they hang on the outside of the gate, and then seem surprised (and annoyed) that it needs to swing outward to open for the people walking toward it to leave. On Adventure Express, they even have a yellow line marked in the exit lane to show how far back you should wait so that the gate can still swing open but I often have to practically shove the gate into people to be able to leave. They'll take one step back and expect everyone to squeeze through the little foot-wide gap the gate can swing open.

I realized just how annoying gate hangers are when I encountered an anti-hanger at The Beast today. I was in the back row, so I was the first to the gate, and before I could even reach my hand out to unlatch it, a woman waiting outside quickly unlatched it and stood far enough back it could open fully. I thanked her sincerely.

• Like 8

Guest dtk1376

Along with station hangers, those that just stand around outside the entrance to the ride. I've noticed this a lot with Flying Ace Aerial Chase for some odd reason and of course at Banshee for the obvious reasons, but I see it at just about all rides. Seriously, either enter the line to get on the ride or get out of my way.

• Like 4

How about when people cram into the station? I get claustrophobic when I'm waiting in the FoF station. It's nice on crowded days when they have a ride op asking how many riders are in each group and only letting a certain amount of people into the station. People seem to think that being in the station faster will get them on the ride faster and will keep wedging themselves in as tightly as they can. It gets confusing since you can't tell if that's just a really long line for the front or if it's the line for the row they are behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2