The Avengers Coming to Kings Island

BoddaH1994

Is Cedar Fair in cooperation with Disney? Disney owns the rights to Marvel, correct? So in order for these characters to make an appearance, there would have been an exchange on currency.

Not necessarily. Sometimes a 3rd party will license the characters and will have the right to do appearance events. That's how it typically works.
  • Like 2

Nevertheless, it's interesting that Disney would sign an agreement allowing them into non-Disney amusement park(s). They traditionally have been rather protective of these rights.

It does make a lot of business sense, though. The Avengers get promoted ahead of the property's next film, and KI's guests get an appearance that many will enjoy. Presumably KI is making money from the promotion as well.

• Like 6

A Disney Avenger would be one in the film uniforms, am I right? A Marvel Avenger would be drssed in the more traditional garb from the comics? Disney Ironman would sound like a trashbag of batting helmets when he walked around to greet the kids.

There's so many legal divisions in companies today. The Marvel Lego game is put out by Warner Bros..

I recall The Transformers were a big hit when they came to the park. They guys inside the suit wore throat mics, so their senses of humor came off a little strange with the flat electronic voices.

I wonder if this has anything to do with a certain Comic Convention later this year....

Plus maybe Marvel is making an attempt to get more buyers of ther comic books....

And nerd moment : the Helicarier is used by Shield, the Avengers use a Quinjet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aren't The Avengers technically agents of S.H.I.E.L.D themselves? At least Director Fury is...

Man that show got good at the end of the season.

:blink: Sure has! Especially since they brought in Hollywood big gun Bill Paxton (Million Dollar Arm, Aliens, Apollo 13, Titanic, Twister, True Lies, Tombstone, The Terminator......)

• Like 1

*pushes glasses up on nose and cracks open the official Marvel handbook*

SHIELD is a government (sometimes world) agency with Nick Fury as director. The Avengers are a group of supers who get together to fight bad guys. Shield does work with them in the way they ask for help or tell them where to go. But many times in the comics, Avengers and Shield don't always see eye to eye.

• Like 5

Ok. S.H.I.E.L.D operates the thing, but Stark built it, and after what he and Cap' had to go through to keep it flying (I haven't seen the movie whose trailer shows it crashing yet), I think they deserve to fly it around awhile; visit an amusement park here and there... see some sights...

:ph34r:

• Like 5

The Marvel thing is confusing as all get out. I can't make heads or tails of it and wouldn't try. But remember that many of the characters are protected by Marvel's contract with Universal / MCA from appearing in theme parks east of the Mississippi. Last I checked, Kings Island was, so either the characters in question are not protected by that contract or they're appearing under a license from a third party who has permission to allow them to appear.

Also, doesn't the contract stipulate something about being in a permanent attraction, which this certainly isn't?

And what about that section saying that characters with familial ties to the Universal attractions couldn't appear? In this case, none of the characters coming to Kings Island (Captain America, Iron Man and Thor – "The Avengers") are reasonably related to the character families present in Marvel Super Hero Island (Fantastic 4, Spider-Man, X-Men).

The two stipulations above explain why Walt Disney World could have the Avengers monorail (sans Hulk) and why Guardians of the Galaxy 3D previews can be shown there just without the Marvel moniker.

One way or another, this is obviously allowed. These contracts are just too complicated for the average person, and even experts could probably play around with relationships and things.

• Like 1

The Marvel thing is confusing as all get out. I can't make heads or tails of it and wouldn't try. But remember that many of the characters are protected by Marvel's contract with Universal / MCA from appearing in theme parks east of the Mississippi. Last I checked, Kings Island was, so either the characters in question are not protected by that contract or they're appearing under a license from a third party who has permission to allow them to appear.

Also, doesn't the contract stipulate something about being in a permanent attraction, which this certainly isn't?

And what about that section saying that characters with familial ties to the Universal attractions couldn't appear? In this case, none of the characters coming to Kings Island (Captain America, Iron Man and Thor "The Avengers") are reasonably related to the character families present in Marvel Super Hero Island (Fantastic 4, Spider-Man, X-Men).

The two stipulations above explain why Walt Disney World could have the Avengers monorail (sans Hulk) and why Guardians of the Galaxy 3D previews can be shown there just without the Marvel moniker.

One way or another, this is obviously allowed. These contracts are just too complicated for the average person, and even experts could probably play around with relationships and things.

I think you nailed it at the top of your post... It's a 3rd party company that has paid for the licensing to solicit character appearances.

I think you guys are reading too far into the Disney connection on this one. Yeah, they bought it but it's not integrated into their ecosystem yet. I think it would be a totally different conversation if Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto were making an appearance.

• Like 4

Marvel and Disney are registered trademarks and, as such, are always capitalized here.

Westcoaster, I know your caps key works (see Scooby), please use it. This is, sadly, serious business. It's not a running gag...or at least not meant to be.

And Roy Disney's counsel in the fabric of Kings Island? The lawyers are EVERYWHERE! Walt's too?

Terp, sitting back waiting for more edjumacation and edification (edifice-ication?)

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd say definitely not Disney who's bringing them in. The Walt Disney Company has much bigger things on its plate and doesn't dabble in character appearances in the Midwest.

The rest of the question is how they can appear in terms of the Universal / Marvel contract period, which I think is because of that third party and because it's a non-permanent attraction that doesn't feature one of Universal's featured characters. But again, it probably didn't even need to get to the point of asking that question.