Six Flags Texas/Sid & Marty Krofft Puppet Theater

The Krofft puppets first gained US attention at the 1962 Seattle Worlds Fair. There, they presented a show called "Les Poupees de Paris" that included puppets/marionettes impersonating popular celebrities. They then toured the show throughout the US to great popularity. In 1964-1965, they once again presented the (updated) show at the Worlds Fair in New York. Here's a pic of the 1964-65 Worlds Fair Krofft Pavillion:

6dd2a47a5b4fa4adc95a7921d711d349.jpg

08b451689602705a62a237653efda07a.jpg

The show was later presented in 1968 at a large fair in San Antonio. Here is a pic of the pic of the Sid and Marty Krofft Pavillion in San Antonio, where they presented a show called "Kaleidescope."

CokePavilionSwissSkyRide.jpg

It was at the show in San Antonio where one of the heads of Six Flags saw the production and contacted Sid and Marty to design a show for SFOT.

They did and the show ran for years at the park. Originally, the show had a circus theme but it was changed over time. Here's pics of the Six Flags theatre:

91b2d7f996c0708619d11eb18a55bee8.jpg6240444805_7639b29b56_z.jpg

Other parks took note, such as Cincinnati's Coney Island, and had the Kroffts design shows for them as well. The Cincinnati Coney Island Theatre was located to the left (facing down the mall) of the Lost River, near the parking lot. It was only there one or two seasons, until the park was dismantled afaik.

I didn't see the show...( I wasn't born for another year...I am the same age as KI.) But as I understand it, the Coney Show probably originated at Six Flags Over Texas and was likely a duplication. Here's a pic of the Cincinnati Coney Island Sid and Marty Krofft show:

Coney-Circus%2070.jpg

The Krofft's transferred the show to Kings Island where it operated in the giant red inflatable Theatre to the left of the Eiffel Tower.

KingsIsland_8-22-73-C.jpg

Here is the only pic I know of, from the King's Island Krofft Production.

kroftpuppet.jpg

I believe (don't hold me to it) the elaborate puppet show that ran at Busch Gardens: The Old Country during it's first season was also a Sid and Marty Krofft production. (I saw this show when I was a kid!)

It was through their associations with the Amusement industry that the idea for their ill-fated amusement center "The World of Sid and Marty Krofft" in Atlanta was born. In the meantime, they achieved mainstream notoriety... and lots of cash to fund it... via their immensely popular 1970's television children's shows and variety programs. (PuffnStuff, Krofft Supershow, Donnie and Marie etc) Here's a pic of the map of the "World of Sid and Marty Krofft" in Atlanta... which opened in 1976 and lasted a mere 6 months. I actually work with someone that visited it as a child... and was able to ride the infamous Pinball ride! (Also pictured below.)

kmap101.jpg220022386_84ae456b5c.jpg

Does that help?

• Like 9

• 5 months later...