Whats up with Shake Rattle and Roll

Dr Zhark

Shake, Rattle & Roll to me always seemed to glide, swing and spin... smoothly, rather than in a manner reminiscent of its Haley-esque moniker (I used to believe (theorize) that its proximity to the old "Haley's Comet" ride somehow contributed to the ultimate choice of names for our venerable Troika -- for you see, Bill Haley and His Comets had a hit cover of a Jesse Stone/Joe Turner song called "Shake Rattle & Roll" in 1954...) I could be wrong, though; but it feels right. :unsure:

• Like 7

One thing to note about HUSS. The current HUSS is not the same company as the one that built SRR and similar rides back in the 70s and 80s. (See Wikipedia for a general idea of what happened with that as it's a bit complicated). It's my understanding that the original HUSS rides are much more reliable than current ones. This is the first time I can recall ever seeing SRR down for major maintenance like this - Delirium was down for a while only 2 years after it was put in. SRR has been at KI since 1975 according to Wikipedia.

• Like 5

I seem to remember Troika being down for quite some time at Cedar Point a couple of seasons ago. These rides are aging, and some repairs and extensive maintenance can be expected.

A disturbing thought? That new HUSS? That's probably the parts supplier now. Just as modern hardware is often not as durable or overengineered as older hardware...

• Like 6

I vaguely remember a year back in the early 90's where SRR was down for seemed like most of the season. The only reason I remember this is because it was the first year of many where we had season passes and I remember seeing it and not knowing what the heck the ride experience was like for what felt like the longest time.

• Like 4

With the caveat that line length is not necessarily an indicator of popularity, I have never seen a line longer than a one-cycle wait for SR&R, even on a busy Saturday. IIRC they even have arrows permanently painted on the ground at the queue entrance directing riders to bypass the switchback, which suggests that that switchback is never used.

If it does get removed, hopefully they will replace it with something good, like, I don't know, our Flying Eagles? ;)

I remember being a youngster and the line being quite long. Perception or really? I'm not sure.

I also seem to remember The Beast filling all switchbacks on almost every visit but there used to be those prints painted on the ground...

• Like 1

maybe the part is no longer available

In the sense of mass production/off the shelf...possibly.

But the idea of any part/device/mechanism simply no longer available is incorrect. Anything can be reverse engineered and duplicated to the original specs......albeit, given enough money.

Trust me, it's one of the many things I do to put food on my family's table.

• Like 10

I'm sure the removal of the cars was done simply to give maintenance easier access to the inner parts of the ride. It's much easier to do what they need to do when they don't have to duck under bars and such. It could also be that they're trying to lessen the strain on the arms while they're waiting for parts.

• Like 2

maybe the part is no longer available

Anything can be reverse engineered and duplicated to the original specs......albeit, given enough money

Exactly, that is why I mentioned ROI ( return on investment). They are not going to spend a lot of money on a part if ridership is low. In turn the land could be more valuable with something else there. I'm sure the park would like to keep profit per sqft up, not down. Especially, when they want to save the cost of expanding usable park space ;)

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.