Whats up with Shake Rattle and Roll

Dr Zhark

Does it get torn down like this at the end of every season?

That's what I'm thinking. This deconstruction looks like what I would expect at the end of the season. My (completely uninformed) guess is that a part that is replaced every offseason and is otherwise inaccessible broke, and they have to completely tear it down to get at that part. Perhaps something in the ground under the center support?

This is sad. I hope it's not done for the season as it's the ride my nephews like to use to torture me. Well, that and Monster.

I've seen our team work on some program materials. It's surprising how much they have to move or take out to make some repairs. Hopefully that is the case here.

• Like 3

I would choose a ride to be down for most of a season over a ride that never returns. Unless, of course, the ride isn't safe for the public. If SR&R does move, lets hope it goes to a good location and not in a scrap yard or online sale. Let's see what happens, a little TLC for the ride would be good.

Does it get torn down like this at the end of every season?

Based off this old WindSeeker webcam from March 23, 2011, it looks as though only the cars are removed. The giant arms appear to stay in place during the off season.

uml6p7A.jpg

Of course, as the photo is from late March, maybe the arms were removed earlier in the off-season and were simply reinstalled before this screenshot was taken.

• Like 4

That can't happen! I'm not gonna allow it! We should make a petition!

Petition. Heh!

How many petitions were there for Son of Beast's return?

As if a few dozen enthusiast signatures somehow outweigh shareholders, dividends, safety, operations, etc.

• Like 8

That can't happen! I'm not gonna allow it! We should make a petition!

Petition. Heh!

How many petitions were there for Son of Beast's return?

As if a few dozen enthusiast signatures somehow outweigh shareholders, dividends, safety, operations, etc.

Wasn't Six Flags Great America's Whizzer roller coaster saved as the result of public outcry over its planned removal?

Not to mention, public opinion made our own park reverse a couple Halloween Haunt decisions back in 2009.

• Like 4

Keep in mind that for several weeks it was up on blocks. Apparently they were looking for a replacement part. It's quite possible that it was determined that the replacement part/s would cost as much as replacing the entire ride with a new one. Maybe a new SR&R from Huss is on it's way. Fingers crossed!

• Like 5

I would say she is done for good. Especially since none of the KI reps on this forum have spoke up about it. :(

I don't think it is. I personally think they're not talking about it on here, because they don't find it necessary to post about and/or they've got bigger things to deal with, such as promoting Kings Island Kicks Cancer campaign among many other events happening in the park.

• Like 5

As far as Flying Eagles, I'd rather see those appear on Flight Commander's old pad. The height of the platform would certainly add some thrill to the ride.

I want to stay positive about SR&R. It's a fun ride. Hope it's only a matter of time before we find out what's happening.

• Like 12

I hope it's not done, but keep this in mind, everyone. If SR&R's time has come, then it's come. No amount of petitions are going to bring it back. Kings Island isn't going to tear out a popular family ride on a whim, and if it is leaving us, it's with good reason. I have full confidence that Kings Island and Cedar Fair will take the best possible course of action for all parties affected. The only thing I think we can postulate for now is that even if it's not leaving us, the ride isn't going to be back up and running for a little while.

If SR&R leaves us, then I am grateful to have had an opportunity to enjoy this classic ride with multi-generational appeal. If not, then I know which ride I'll be headed to as soon as it opens back up. Just sit back, grab a Snickers and wait it out. No sense working yourselves into a tizzy over something that is completely beyond your control and, in the grand scheme of life, not terribly important.

• Like 7

Shake Rattle & Roll might not be going to the scrapyard because the arms don't look like they were cut off with a blowtorch. As mentioned before, the ride is still on the parks website, if it were going to be demolished, it would have been long removed (ex: Tomb Raider and Days of Thunder). If I remember correctly, the park used to completely dismantle Zephyr during the off season, so there's hope that SS&R is just getting some tlc.

• Like 2