Ninja at SFMM Accident

Remember how Busch Gardens Williamsburg removed Big Bad Wolf, citing a 25 year shelf life for Arrow Suspended Coasters?

Ninja is 26.

Not saying there's any truth to that, it's just odd.

This is not good at all. Other than Ninja, there are three Arrow Suspended Coasters left operating with their original suspended trains. All three are at Cedar Fair parks.

*gulp*

Either way, this is horrible. Obviously hoping those seriously injured are alright...

• Like 9

You know, there was a huge earthquake in Mexico today - it could have shifted some of those trees just enough to cause a problem. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but it's just my thinking.

Thoughts & prayers for all involved.

• Like 2

I didnt believe the train actually derailed until I seen the photo proving it.

Wish granted:

ninja-ride-passengers2.jpg

Photo: KTLA 5, Los Angeles.

Certainly a frightening event. I hope everyone is okay.

With this, the rider ejection on the Intamin Zacspin at Terra Mitica, and the incidents last year, it sure does seem like bad things happen in bunches in this industry.

• Like 3

Using the "stealth assassin" in the one article is sad.

This is bad news as it is. There is no reason to create more drama.

I pray it sounds worse than it really is.

Totally agree. This information was totally unnecessary in this article. Media outlets today make me sick. They always find a way to twist a story or take words out of context. As a coaster enthusiast, they way they cover ride incidents makes me wanna vomit. It's already bad enough that people were injured, now you wanna twist the story to try to get people to feel that roller coasters are unsafe?

• Like 4

Depends on how suddenly the train came to a stop. A sudden stop at speeds as low as 20mph can cause injuries more serious than you think. Also, you may not see blood or anything, but think about possible neck or back injuries. These types of injuries can lead to a domino effect if not treated and rehabbed correctly. Being a former college athlete, i have all sorts of problems with my back, hips, and most of all, my knees that go all the back to injuries i had in high school.

• Like 6

Concerning the talk of 'shelf life' of suspended coasters, Ninja is regarded as one of the more forceful ones left. I believe it has the most swing of any suspended coaster ever built (I remember reading that somewhere).

All things considered, I'm very glad no one suffered worse than an injury. That looked like it was rather nasty from the riders' perspective.

• Like 2

Thoughts and prayers to everyone involved. This is truly horrible. I hope first and foremost that there are no serious long-term injuries from this incident. Even if there is no physical injury, I can imagine I would be traumatized from going through something like that. Magic Mountain's PR department will likely have their work cut out for them for the next few days.

I really hope this isn't the beginning of the end of the Arrow Suspended Coasters. There are only 5 left in the world, only four in their original form, and one of those four isn't exactly a thrilling and dynamic ride...

I will say that I continue to stand by my statement that coasters are among the safest forms of amusement in the world.

• Like 10

Agreed, homestar.

It's outrageous that these news sources choose to mention the ride's tagline, "The Stealth Assassin." At best, it's embellishment masquerading as fact. A lame attempt to elicit an emotional response, and it'll probably work.

Meanwhile, in Spain, another major coaster incident today as an 18-year-old rider has fallen from Terra Mítica's Intamin coaster "Inferno."

Though news sources leave the park's name in Catalan, they happily translate the roller coaster's name to English - "Hell."

(The accident on Inferno is being discussed on KICentral here.)

It's downright predatory for writers to embellish in those ways.

Some parks make it easier than others. God forbid anything happen on a roller coaster named after an Irish spirit whose scream signals imminent death... And God forbid that roller coaster play an ear-piercing scream right at the top of its lift hill... Should a rider ever return to Banshee's station unresponsive, even a freshman journalist on a high school newspaper could piece together a darning story, no embellishment necessary! Good thing they went with Mantis instead. Oh, wait...

• Like 4

Agreed, homestar.

It's outrageous that these news sources choose to mention the ride's tagline, "The Stealth Assassin." At best, it's embellishment masquerading as fact. A lame attempt to elicit an emotional response, and it'll probably work.

Meanwhile, in Spain, another major coaster incident today as an 18-year-old rider has fallen from Terra Mítica's Intamin coaster "Inferno."

Though news sources leave the park's name in Catalan, they happily translate the roller coaster's name to English - "Hell."

(The accident on Inferno is being discussed on KICentral here.)

It's downright predatory for writers to embellish in those ways.

Some parks make it easier than others. God forbid anything happen on a roller coaster named after an Irish spirit whose scream signals imminent death... And God forbid that roller coaster play an ear-piercing scream right at the top of its lift hill... Should a rider ever return to Banshee's station unresponsive, even a freshman journalist on a high school newspaper could piece together a darning story, no embellishment necessary! Good thing they went with Mantis instead. Oh, wait...

Could it be nothing more than thats the way the park wants to the coaster mentioned in all press releases and news stories? Maybe the park wanted the tagline mentioned in previous stories. Maybe the writer of the story needed more than "Coaster possibly hits tree." Many times a story needs a certain amount of words to be published. A tag line or description of the ride works here in adding information. Again, its not like a park rep was out front answering questions.

And if the translation is "Hell" then whats the big deal. Thats what happens when you name your coaster that.

Not sure why everyone hates on the media.

• Like 4

You would think a thing like trees and limbs would be monitored a little better in a 'just in case' scenario...

Looks like everyone hung in there though.

Probably much easier "said than done". The limbs are likely "easy" and monitored at the start of every season, and periodically thru the season (like morning warm up) for a place like KI. At a full season park, its probably part of the routine maintenance to check for clearances. There is not much that can be done when Mother nature decides that its time for tree to fall over. They could cut down any tree that grew to a height tall enough to fall onto the track, but imagine if they cut down all the trees capable of doing that around The Beast? How many complaints would we hear? How many calls for the significant change in environment that would create.

Unfortunate incident for sure, and I hope everyone involved is ok.

• Like 3

I wouldn't think that there are many places [rather none at all] where limbs may fall on The Beast's tracks encouraging a derailment...and I would hope that any tree that could potentially fall onto the tracks would be removed [dead or problem trees].

Weather causing such things would be the only exception...and I would imagine that would be taken care of during a morning walk through/ testing.

The only scenario I can imagine for anything to happen would be weather related while the ride was in circuit.

And a full season park should not be exempt by time to examine such things ALL the time.

• Like 1

Glad no serious injuries as of current news. I saw a picture of the tree that hit the track. This coaster will probably be down for some time. I'm sure they will have to X-ray a large portion of track and supports to check for cracks. I can only assume some structural damage may have occurred. And with a steel ride this age and how forceful this Arrow is, they will be triple checking everything. I can also assume parks around the country, if not the world; will be doing some evaluation of trees around any coasters or rides in the next days and weeks

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 1

From various reports today it sounds like the tree limb that fell, was across the tracks and the front car hit the limb and was knocked off the tracks. A scary conclusion to the ride for sure and I am amazed that a train was knocked off the tracks in such a way. Always look at the connection between cars and wonder how strong/secure it is. In the case of Ninja, strong enough to keep the first car from plummeting off the tracks. Very scary situation.

• Like 5