Teen dies after fall from Terra Mitica roller coaster

Via CoasterBuzz.com :

"A teenager thought to be British has died after being thrown from a roller-coaster called Hell at a theme park in Benidorm, it has emerged. The 18-year-old is thought to have been flung from the ride at the Terra Mitica theme park after his harness failed."

More information regarding this tragic accident can be found via The Independent

• Like 1

This is horrible and unimaginable and awful and tragic.

1) That said, why leave the park's name - Terra Mítica - in Catalan, but translate the roller coaster's name - Inferno - into English? I suppose it's viral-friendly and gives the story a little zest, but must we really say that the individual died on a ride called Hell?

2) I'm having flashbacks to "the stealth assassin." And by flashback, I mean a few hours ago... Story is awful enough. This is embellishment, even if its embellishment masquerading as a factual lean. Fact checkers? Or tabloid gossip mongers?

3) And then there's Banshee at Cedar Point... Oh, wait...

4) Hopefully things like this having real consequences will help us think twice before making jokes next time an accident is reported. Flashing back now to Flight of Fear just a few weeks ago when many decided it was prime time for a punch line... while we still thought the building was on fire! These things can have real impacts... It's not funny for the riders who go through it, even the ones who are physically uninjured.

• Like 5

Inferno was the world's second Intamin ZacSpin, opening shortly after an identical twin in Finland.

Inferno_en_Terra_M%C3%ADtica.jpg

inferno_.jpg

The ride's restraints appear to be the newer, soft over-the-shoulder restraints used on the modified Intimidator 305. To my knowledge, there are no reports yet as to whether the restraint failed, or if the rider slipped out.

There are only 4 ZacSpin coasters in the world. It'll be interesting to see how California reacts with the only one in the United States, Green Lantern: First Flight at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

By the way, Terra Mítica was briefly named Terra Mítica: A Paramount Park during a brief management deal from late 2001 to 2004 (before Inferno was built). If we're being honest, it was certainly the best-themed Paramount Park, too. ;) If you're a theme park fan, look into Terra Mítica (formerly of Paramount) and Spain's PortAventura (formerly of Universal) for two incredible examples of themed environments and stories blended with great rides.

83011d1329866843-0f0lgh23n61suc23i000ip.

• Like 6

Quite a business to be in.

Imagine you purchase five new theme parks – including your flagship's greatest competitor – and just one month after your massive acquisition, just as you begin to meld your new parks into your legacy portfolio, a massive roller coaster that you inherited injures twenty-seven riders and sends nineteen of those to the hospital. Quite a welcome present from your new park, eh? $20 million+ later and an empty field to show for it... Any regrets?

• Like 4

Horrible Accident.

Regarding the restraints, they have a seat belt, I can't see that failing unless it was never buckled properly and checked or the rider unfastened it. Anyone know if these belts are keyed or your standard push button open?

Horrible Accident.

Regarding the restraints, they have a seat belt, I can't see that failing unless it was never buckled properly and checked or the rider unfastened it. Anyone know if these belts are keyed or your standard push button open?

Just from the image, they look like Intamin's standard ones, with the two metal clips to push. Most times I rode Millennium in its early years, people looked absolutely puzzled as to how to unlock the thing.

• Like 1