Cedar Point 2015 speculation

After seeing what appears to be some kind of construction site at Carowinds, I presume they are getting a coaster (no clue on type at all), I would guess Cedar Point would get an additional flat. I would love a Falling Star or top spin type ride. I know both are unlikely, but I can hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many signs point to Carowinds getting a 300+ foot tall coaster (perhaps 325 feet). Obviously nothing official, but lots of rumors and even some reports in the local paper about a Giga being installed as part of the plan to secure Financing from the state.

• Like 2

^^^ yes, incentives was probably the better term. I don't remember the details that came out in the paper last summer about this project and the negotiations with the state, IIRC a part of it was to be used for a hotel on site (and perhaps that is where the financing part came in thru the use of TIFFs or some other government incentive plan to help lower Cedar Fair's cost burden for the development.) Anyhoo, that is minutia to the average park goer that doesn't really care how the development was/is paid for, just cares about what is being installed and how it affects their experience at the park.

The blueprints for the Carowinds coaster have been leaked, and looks very similar to Leviathan, except with a few more turns and elements. Definitely looks like a B&M giga.

And I guess a dark ride could have a more intense/mature theme to it, but wouldn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a great dark ride? I want a dark ride that the whole family can enjoy together.

As for a new flat, I honestly don't think the park has a need for any new one right now. What flat could possibly add to the park's current lineup without seeming redundant?

Lastly, think of what Tony said at this past winter's Pointbuzz off season tour event. He said that everyone will definitely want to come back for the tour again next year. I don't see how a flat ride would be so much of interest.

I know we just got Gatekeeper 2 years ago, but I feel like at this point with what we know (and what we don't) a new coaster would be the best bet. As for the type, I'm completely clueless.

• Like 3

Lastly, think of what Tony said at this past winter's Pointbuzz off season tour event. He said that everywill will definitely want to come back for the tour again next year. I don't see how a flat ride would be so much of interest.

Bingo. This is why I think it's going to be a major coaster.

The concept of a five-year cycle, where there are five years between major coasters (e.g. DB/Banshee, Maverick/GK), has been bandied about on these forums. If this is a major coaster, we can dump that five-year cycle in the trash, because it will only be three years since GK.

• Like 2

Lastly, think of what Tony said at this past winter's Pointbuzz off season tour event. He said that everywill will definitely want to come back for the tour again next year. I don't see how a flat ride would be so much of interest.

Bingo. This is why I think it's going to be a major coaster.

The concept of a five-year cycle, where there are five years between major coasters (e.g. DB/Banshee, Maverick/GK), has been bandied about on these forums. If this is a major coaster, we can dump that five-year cycle in the trash, because it will only be three years since GK.

The Maverick/Gatekeeper gap is six years.

I agree with the large flat ride idea. The question is, will the ride be original or an existing flat?

While I don't disagree that it could be a large flat, what could they add that wouldn't be somewhat redundant? CP is pretty well covered in the large flat area.

CP is pretty well covered in the coaster, overnight, & restaurant areas too.

It could be anything. My heart wants a coaster, my head tells me it's gonna be a unique large flat.

• Like 4

But how would that appeal to "teens and other hard core thrillsters"? When I think dark ride, I think family ride. Even the high-end dark rides at Universal (Spiderman and Forbidden Journey) are really family rides.

• Like 2

Mr. Kinzel teased Shoot the Rapids as appealing to thrill seekers.

Terp, like Rock and Roll, Never Forgets.

As well as WindSeeker. I guess the only thing thrilling about it is the height. Besides that, it's one of the most relaxing rides at the park IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love it (when it's operational) but I remember thinking when it was announced that it didn't quite entirely fit in with the thrillseeker and teenage appeal category that it had previously been said it would.

At this point I really am clueless. I love Tony and think he's a great guy, but PLEASE give us some hints and teasers soon! Banshee was being teased ever since the park first opened, I believe.

• Like 3

But how would that appeal to "teens and other hard core thrillsters"? When I think dark ride, I think family ride. Even the high-end dark rides at Universal (Spiderman and Forbidden Journey) are really family rides.

You gave me the answer.....what could possibly appeal to teens and other hard core thrillsters? SEX - The Ride!