Cedar Point to name ride after LeBron James upon return to CLE?

I feel like this to early for them to say , whats happening to Mantis. They are closing it 10/10 and today is 9/16. I have feeling we are just learing they are naming a ride King James and thats all. I don't think they will have anything to do with Mantis.

I gotta say, i applaud the outcome of this. This is more of a community based outcome, rather than being centered around one person who already has everything he could want/need. Both decided to join in a effort to make northeast Ohio a better place. Im glad it turned out this way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Or, it could be another announcement of an announcement.

Tony, you will get a reputation as the little boy who cried wolf if this announcement isn't something to stand up and cheer about, then sit down comfortably.

Thought this was worthy of bringing up again.

I'm happy Cedar Point is partnering with a worthwhile organization. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where they'd be better off keeping their social media outlets quiet until they announce whatever it is they're ultimately going to do and release all of the details - including this recent news - all at once. This whole thing just has a very juvenile vibe to it.

• Like 3

Or, it could be another announcement of an announcement.

Tony, you will get a reputation as the little boy who cried wolf if this announcement isn't something to stand up and cheer about, then sit down comfortably.

Thought this was worthy of bringing up again.

I'm happy Cedar Point is partnering with a worthwhile organization. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where they'd be better off keeping their social media outlets quiet until they announce whatever it is they're ultimately going to do and release all of the details - including this recent news - all at once. This whole thing just has a very juvenile vibe to it.

I don't think it's entirely juvenline.

Let's take out the fact that a charity is involved for a moment.

In the past two weeks they've said that there was going to be a "major" announcement. That "major" announcement was a teaser video for another announcement.

They told the entire world a few months ago that they would rename a coaster King James if Lebron came back to Cleveleland. He did, and Cedar Point was left with a foot in their mouth. Now, several months later, they announce a partnership with his charity. The whole partnership is great and all, but that wasn't what Cedar Point promised. They specifically said that they'd name a coaster after him... and they failed to deliver.

Just another reason why @cedarpoint and @tonyclarkcp are not on my list of people to follow, Stuff like this... all the time. Life's too short to try to decode a pile of wood that Tony Tweets about that turns out to be nothing.

• Like 8

So wait, let me get this straight...Most people complained of how "stupid" it was that CP was going to name a ride after LeBron, and now that they didn't, people are mad that they didn't follow through on their word? Sheesh, only in the enthusiast world could partnering with a worthwhile charity instead of renaming a coaster seem like a bad thing.

• Like 5

Fox Sports picked it up.

http://www.foxsports.com/ohio/story/cedar-point-won-t-name-coaster-after-lebron-but-will-do-something-else-091614

I stand by what I said, but hey... Coverage is coverage.

So wait, let me get this straight...Most people complained of how "stupid" it was that CP was going to name a ride after LeBron, and now that they didn't, people are mad that they didn't follow through on their word? Sheesh, only in the enthusiast world could partnering with a worthwhile charity instead of renaming a coaster seem like a bad thing.

I don't think you're seeing the point (or at least how I see it). It's about integrity. I, like anyone else in the right mind, am glad they aren't naming a coaster after King James, and am even more glad that they are using this for good... but there's more to the story than that.

As I said in an earlier post:

12,000 ReTweets... that's certainly a successful campaign. I think it backfired, though. I think they were pretty sure he wasn't coming back.

Now they have 3 options:

1. Rename a ride after Lebron James, then look like buffoons because... well... they renamed a ride after Lebron James.

2. Not rename a ride after Lebron James which is tantamount to lying to their 100K followers.

3. Rename a ride after Lebron for a few days and prove to the world that this is just another publicity stunt with no real weight, brought to you by the same crew that Tweets meaningless piles of wood and holes in the ground that end up meaning nothing for some cheap ReTweets.

I still think they honestly thought he wasn't coming back, and when he did it put them in a scramble. They needed to do something, and doing nothing wasn't an option. They said they were going to rename a coaster Whether you think that's a good idea or not, they said it and they chose not to follow through.

If you're wondering why enthusiasts and the GP aren't happy, imagine this:

Let's say that KI Tweets out that if Jay Bruce is traded that they'd remove The Beast. Two weeks later, he's unexpectedly traded. There's pandemonium for the next few months as the park sits quietly. Finally they announce, "LOL JK We are donating to charity instead!!! #KIBestDay" No one would be happy about that. If you say you're going to do something, then do it. Be prepared to live with the consequences though.

• Like 5

Let's say that KI Tweets out that if Jay Bruce is traded that they'd remove The Beast. Two weeks later, he's unexpectedly traded. There's pandemonium for the next few months as the park sits quietly. Finally they announce, "LOL JK We are donating to charity instead!!! #KIBestDay" No one would be happy about that. If you say you're going to do something, then do it. Be prepared to live with the consequences though.

At the same time though, one example is more extreme than the other. And is the "GP" really upset over this?

Let's be honest, aside from KIC and PointBuzz who even really remembers or will care whether or not Cedar Point makes good on its goofy promise to rename a roller coaster after LeBron James?

• Like 6

Perhaps James asked them to not name a coaster after him??

Cedar Point made this comment on Facebook, underneath the LJFF announcement:

We are not renaming a coaster. It's now all about our partnership with the Foundation - helping kids and families! By the way, this was at LeBron's request.
  • Like 5

Yeah there was a bit of an exaggeration in there. I'm not going to hijack this thread with baseball talk, but he is hitting .214 this year. His usual 30-90 season is 16-61 with less than a dozen games left. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for this season and take into account the knee issue, but if it continues next year that production isn't worth the contract. Especially with all the contract decisions coming soon.