Cedar Point to name ride after LeBron James upon return to CLE?

I take it they're pretty sure that Lebran ain't coming back...

Either way, they get a lot of publicity.

If he comes back, a roller coaster might even get some TLC. Assuming they could actually secure rights to use his name/likeness.

• Like 1

Conflicting reports about LeBron James' decision: one source says that he is returning to Cleveland, another source says that he has not decided

http://www.wkyc.com/story/sports/nba/lebron-james/2014/07/09/lebron-returning-to-cleveland-according-to-chris-sheridan/12434767/

I think it's kinda sad in a way that we are legitimately discussing NBA free agency in the "other parks" section of the forums.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure calling it "King James" could be pulled off (in a legal sense) as long as they are very careful in their approach and don't make it obvious that it is related to LeBron James. I mean, King James could describe any of several monarchs throughout history, a couple different translations of the Bible, or any number of other things. Now, that's not to say a legal battle over the naming rights wouldn't happen if they did that, but I think it would be a legal case that Cedar Fair COULD win, if they wanted it badly enough.

Of course, if you try to justify the name with the King James Bible, I think from a political correctness perspective you would have a different set of problems. Then again, another Cedar Fair park has two coasters built back to back that share a name with Biblical creatures, so maybe it wouldn't be as problematic as it might seem.

Conflicting reports about LeBron James' decision: one source says that he is returning to Cleveland, another source says that he has not decided

http://www.wkyc.com/story/sports/nba/lebron-james/2014/07/09/lebron-returning-to-cleveland-according-to-chris-sheridan/12434767/

I think it's kinda sad in a way that we are legitimately discussing NBA free agency in the "other parks" section of the forums.

He's certainly a source of amusement, and parked in Miami...for now.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure calling it "King James" could be pulled off (in a legal sense) as long as they are very careful in their approach and don't make it obvious that it is related to LeBron James.

Argue that it's a different James after releasing media statements to the contrary?

• Like 3

LaBackstabber ended his meeting with Pat Riley not signing a deal.

This was the best time for him to sign with the Heat. Walking away tonight is a sign he will probably not sign with them.

The media frenzy will only get worse & the rumors to Cleveland will intensify.

• Like 1

I kinda feel like they'd rename a coaster only temporarily. A day or two.

It's happened before at different parks. A fun way to celebrate something.

Alton Towers' THIRTEEN was briefly renamed FOURTEEN on Friday the 13th for "safety reasons." At the same park, RITA - QUEEN OF SPEED was renamed CAMILLA - QUEEN OF SPEED to commemorate Prince Charles' marriage to Camilla Parker Bowles in April 2005.

• Like 2

Oh come on. He did not betray anyone. He went to where he thought he would have a better chance at winning. These athletes are employees of a business. They do not owe anyone anything. They are paid to do a job. No one ever gets mad at a manager who goes to another job because they have better benefits. By winning, LeBron has made more money through endorsements that he would have never gotten here (without winning).

Not to mention all of the money, time, and other intangibles he brings back to the city of Akron and the Cleveland area, its laughable that people can even attempt to paint him as a bad guy. I was upset that he left, I admit that. Not because of any other reason than that meant the Cavs were going to go back to losing. Which they did.

On the ride, its a marketing move. Maybe it will be something like "LeBron's Raptor" or "The King's Mean Streak"....

He did betray them..... He wanted and made his little own show for national tv to make his choice! Who does that? He knew he was picking the Heat. No reason to rub it in a cities face.

And yes he is the one who went to ESPN about it. They didn't go to him. He is a stuck up guy who actually doesn't do a lot for the community. Look things up there is a lot of things that he is done that will change your mind about him.. He's not a professional at all..

Hate him and if Cedar Point names a coaster after him they should probably name it "The Flop King"

I'm done here. Haha

• Like 2

While the show was misstep ( someone should have said hey this seems like a bad idea) but where did all of the advertising dollars of that show go to? The Boys and Girls Club of Cleveland.

He also does his yearly bike donation to Akron. Not to mention his continuous funding of his high school and grade school athletics.

Plus the other stuff he does that does not get publicized....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Oh come on. He did not betray anyone. He went to where he thought he would have a better chance at winning. These athletes are employees of a business. They do not owe anyone anything. They are paid to do a job. No one ever gets mad at a manager who goes to another job because they have better benefits. By winning, LeBron has made more money through endorsements that he would have never gotten here (without winning).

Not to mention all of the money, time, and other intangibles he brings back to the city of Akron and the Cleveland area, its laughable that people can even attempt to paint him as a bad guy. I was upset that he left, I admit that. Not because of any other reason than that meant the Cavs were going to go back to losing. Which they did.

On the ride, its a marketing move. Maybe it will be something like "LeBron's Raptor" or "The King's Mean Streak"....

He did betray them..... He wanted and made his little own show for national tv to make his choice! Who does that? He knew he was picking the Heat. No reason to rub it in a cities face.

And yes he is the one who went to ESPN about it. They didn't go to him. He is a stuck up guy who actually doesn't do a lot for the community. Look things up there is a lot of things that he is done that will change your mind about him.. He's not a professional at all..

Hate him and if Cedar Point names a coaster after him they should probably name it "The Flop King"

I'm done here. Haha

I can't say I know how much he does/did for the city of Akron, but my take on LeBron goes back a bit further than most.

LeBron was a rising legend in the city, while I grew up in SW Ohio, my Father grew up as the oldest of 10 kids in Akron, attended St Vincent's (where LeBron would end up for HS) so I was pretty familiar with his name even as a frosh in HS. My cousin was 1 year behind him in school. Fast forward a season to LeBron's sophomore season, by this time he was obviously a huge name in Akron, and pretty highly regarded amongst the AAU/basketball recruiting scene. They had won state as freshman and were in all of the big showcase events. My cousin was on the freshman team during LeBron's sophomore season. My grandparents would attend most if not all of his freshman games, often times my grandmother would be sitting in the first row by herself while my grandfather was catching up with people around the school. As my Aunt has told me, as a young 16 year old kid, LeBron would take it upon himself to go sit down next to my grandmother during the frosh games and talk with her for a few minutes, just give her company. I know he still gives back to St Vincent's and is a huge reason why they still attract a ton of top end talent from NE Ohio. By all accounts he's a good person, and his heart is still in Akron.

As far as stabbing Cleveland in the back, he gave that team his all for what 7 seasons? Look how quickly they fell off the map once he departed. It was a team built upon him and nothing else. I find it hard to fault him for trying to put himself in a situation where he increased his chances of playing for a ring. He owed the team nothing more than an honest effort, which I believe he gave despite Dan Gilbert's comments about the Boston series. If he comes back great, if he moves elsewhere that is his right, I'm a Bulls fan so it doesn't matter much to me since he's not going to make his way to Chicago.

• Like 5

Had he given anyone in CLE prior Knowledge that he was leaving for MIA then I'd have no problem with what he did. But alas he didn't and that's where my problem with him lies not to mention he seems to be outrageously self centered. Look at his interviews after his championships it's I this and I that. Plus his weekend in Vegas after the decision. It's the same reason I don't like Manziel. Also Lebron will never be better than Jordan EVER.

• Like 3

His own people admitted that LbJ didn't know where he was going till the morning of his tv special.

As for being self centered, well that's almost every star athlete.

As being compare to Jordan, not many will be as great as Jordan but Jordan lost before the finals more than James has.

I have no real dog in this fight but if you are looking for "role models " in professional sports look at what he has done : no drug or alcohol arrests, marries the mom of his kid, has another and pregnant with a 3, always goes back to his home town to give back, took care of his friends an family (probably why he has no one to tell him no).

Side note I hate when people try to make athletes role models

• Like 6

His own people admitted that LbJ didn't know where he was going till the morning of his tv special.

As being compare to Jordan, not many will be as great as Jordan but Jordan lost before the finals more than James has.

I have no real dog in this fight but if you are looking for "role models " in professional sports look at what he has done : no drug or alcohol arrests, marries the mom of his kid, has another and pregnant with a 3, always goes back to his home town to give back, took care of his friends an family (probably why he has no one to tell him no).

some athletes can be role models. Freestyle skiers are good people. Nick Goepper is my role model because he proved that if u work hard then anything can be achieved. He won an Olympic medal and grew up skiing on a hill. But i also know him because our sisters know each other from that Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy
  • Like 3

Absolutely, and will stand by that statement any day. I've been to 4 Cedar Fair parks, and frankly, the one in Sandusky is my least favorite. I really don't See Der Point of all the hype.

Of the ones I have been to.

Cedar Point

Kings Island

Then way down beneath them because it doesn't even come close....

Carowinds.

^^ He has said many times that he will not make a decision until after his trip to the World Cup championship game in Brazil this Sunday.

Where did you see that at?

He said that he would announce his decision after going on vacation with his family. Now that I think about it, I don't know if this was the same vacation he was talking about... so I might be wrong!

• Like 1

some athletes can be role models. Freestyle skiers are good people. Nick Goepper is my role model because he proved that if u work hard then anything can be achieved. He won an Olympic medal and grew up skiing on a hill. But i also know him because our sisters know each other from that Cincinnati Gymnastics Academy

Okay, let me clarify what I meant. You are absolutely right, some athletes can be role models. I dont like when people say "Athlete X should behave this way because he is a role model."

A role model, should be someone that has lived a life that you want to emulate. So for example, you know Mr. Goepper and have seen his hard work. He earned being your role model through his hard work, not just because he is famous.

• Like 5