Phantom Theater vs The Haunted Mansion and possible idea for sequel to the Phantom Theater

kingsislandfan1972

Now if you are a true Kings Island fan, then you know what to pick. Also I had something else on my mind, remember when you exited the Phantoms Theater ride at Kings Island, and he said "You'll be back,(laughs) "You'll be back". Now since the ride has been gone for over a decade, the park should now bring it back (preferably where the Crypt formerly was) and have it called the Return of the Phantom since Revenge of the Phantom is already taken. When you go inside you will hear the Phantom say "I knew you would return" ( along with a sinister laugh). It would also be nice for Kings Island to have a real haunted house and not just Boo Blasters. As for the Haunted Mansion vs the Phantom Theater I would obviously choose Phantom Theater despite all the technology on the Haunted Mansion, Phantom Theater was a classic and should come out of retirement.

• Like 9

This is the best idea I've heard in some time. I have very fond memories of Phantom Theater. At the time it opened, I was so amazed to have something nearly Disney animatronics' level (Disney was worlds ahead of any other parks at that time) here in li'l ol' Ohiah. It would be great to see something new, and even more advanced than the original, but based on its ideas. Who doesn't love a haunted theater?

• Like 6

I've said it before and I'll say it again : a big gap in Kings Island's lineup is a quality dark ride. I think revamping the Phantom Theatre concept is an awesome one, and probably the best possible idea they could use. Phantom Theatre, even at its worst, was a work of art. SDATHC and to a slightly lesser extent, Boo Blasters, are not a comparable product. I think the interactive shoot games are kind of dumb with the exception of maybe Men In Black since shooting targets actually results in notable physical action.

With that being said, I'd hope that Kings Island (if they were ever to roll with the dark ride idea) would do it on a year in which they have the necessary capex to make a good quality experience. Furthermore, I'd hope they would train the necessary people to maintain the elements of the ride themeing and account for these costs in future budgets.

• Like 8

A sequel is a fantastic idea! It would be a fun idea to return to the Phantom Theater to see what the cast has been up to lately. It would be even more fun if they referenced the "demolition" of their former theater. The premise could be that their beloved theater was torn down so they set up shop in this new space and now they're really out to get us! This could also give it the opportunity for the ride to be slightly more edgy and to work in some sweet special effects. What an amazing experience that could be!

Oh, and if KI is looking for someone to train to maintain a ride like this, I'm totally free so I volunteer myself lol. B)

• Like 5

Why not a crossover to a Phantom Theater using technology used in DarKastle/Spiderman. State of the art 3d and less moving parts to deal with. Plus, being video, several versions could be created to give visitors different experiences.

• Like 8

I'd just like to point out a quote from the interview with Mr. Ouimet found here.

"Canada’s Wonderland near Toronto opened an interactive indoor ride that is part roller coaster, part haunted house with a 500-foot long screen where riders battle dragons and other creatures.

The characters on the screen can be changed to create a different experience during the park’s Halloween events.

It’s the type of ride found at one of the Disney or Universal theme parks, and one that Ouimet likes because it embraces a new technology and could work easily at Cedar Fair’s other parks."

This clearly indicates that Cedar Fair is working on getting it to at least some of their other parks. I definitely agree we need a good dark ride and to me this seems like the technology Cedar Fair would use if they were to install such a ride at Kings Island.

• Like 6

The benefit of Phantom Theater over a branded theme like Peanuts is that it would be added value to the park if it were to be sold again. It wouldn't have to be changed by the new owners.

Also, the Great Pumpkin is very autumn-specific AND already in use as a theme for one of the rides. Phantom Theater makes as much sense no matter what time of year.

Other than that, though, I absolutely love the Great Pumpkin, and am sincere in my desire to see a great dark ride of any theme.

• Like 5

I've said it before and I'll say it again : a big gap in Kings Island's lineup is a quality dark ride. I think revamping the Phantom Theatre concept is an awesome one, and probably the best possible idea they could use. Phantom Theatre, even at its worst, was a work of art. SDATHC and to a slightly lesser extent, Boo Blasters, are not a comparable product. I think the interactive shoot games are kind of dumb with the exception of maybe Men In Black since shooting targets actually results in notable physical action.

With that being said, I'd hope that Kings Island (if they were ever to roll with the dark ride idea) would do it on a year in which they have the necessary capex to make a good quality experience. Furthermore, I'd hope they would train the necessary people to maintain the elements of the ride themeing and account for these costs in future budgets.

Ryan: Toy Story Mania is a terrific shoot the targets game (in 4-D no less!). Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is pretty fun too--way better than what it replaced! (Delta Dreamflight). But I agree--using the empty Crypt building would save teh park some money on development costs and give the park a true dark ride which I agree it needs.

• Like 1

After visiting Kennywood and Knoebels (both great parks, by the way), it's easy to see that Kings Island is missing a good quality dark ride. Though I'm sure Cedar Fair would most likely embrace the latest technology and trends, I have seen with my own two eyes that fancy animatronics, interactive games, and 3-D glasses do not always make the best dark ride. Noah's Arc, Exterminator, Black Diamond, and Knoebels' Haunted Mansion all manage to provide an unforgettable experience with simple props and effects. Keeping a new dark ride simple would be the key to keeping it maintained.

• Like 3

Kings Island is missing a quality dark or two.

At least at one point, we had Tomb Raider, Flight of Fear, and Haunted Castle. Even exchanging the first and last for The Crypt and Boo Blasters, that's a lot of A/C and a lot well-done dark-ride-esque experiences. Imagine Cedar Point, where literally, you cannot go indoors unless it is to eat or see a show. Consider that Amusement Today's "Best Park in the World" for the better part of two decades does not have a dark ride. Wow.

• Like 6

Kings Island needs to have both Phantom Theater and a ride similar to Wonder Mountain's Guardian and put them near Banshee to play with the supernatural/fantasy theme. Plus our dark ride should be extremely themed and be the largest in the Cedar Fair chain.

• Like 1

I don't know, as much as I do love new technologies, there's just something about animatronic figures that just bring a certain type of feel to a dark ride. Can you imagine Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney if you floated through while looking at screens projecting 3D pirates and ships? Although it looks neat, it's just not the same. There's just something about having the real, physical figures there that adds a certain element. It might be nice to mix the two though. I think we do need some animatronics, but some scenes could benefit from the 3D screens and such. I think a hybrid ride would be an interesting concept.

• Like 6

I don't know, as much as I do love new technologies, there's just something about animatronic figures that just bring a certain type of feel to a dark ride. Can you imagine Pirates of the Caribbean at Disney if you floated through while looking at screens projecting 3D pirates and ships? Although it looks neat, it's just not the same. There's just something about having the real, physical figures there that adds a certain element. It might be nice to mix the two though. I think we do need some animatronics, but some scenes could benefit from the 3D screens and such. I think a hybrid ride would be an interesting concept.

I like that idea a lot!

I agree with the sentiment that animatronics or other props really make a dark ride. Due to some technical issues, I haven't visited Canada's Wonderland this year to ride Wonder Mountain's Guardian, but the whole idea of strictly using 3D video game-esque screens for the whole ride seems a little plain. (I still think the idea behind WMG is awesome, though. It just doesn't meet my criteria for a dark ride.)

I personally like the video-projected-onto-a-physical-object effect that has been seen at Haunt within the last few years. I cannot remember what years exactly that it was there, but there was a bust in the window by the International Restaurant entrance inside the park that had video of a face projected onto it. The face would unexpectedly morph into some evil expression and cackle as people walked by (or something to that effect). It was effective and believable with the way the lighting was set up. It would be neat to see something like that integrated into a dark ride someday.

• Like 3

It looks like the new Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride at Walt Disney World uses projected faces on the dwarfs animatronic figures. It looks so real that when I was watching the video, I was wondering how they got those animatronic faces to move so well.

• Like 3

It looks like the new Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride at Walt Disney World uses projected faces on the dwarfs animatronic figures. It looks so real that when I was watching the video, I was wondering how they got those animatronic faces to move so well.

It's basically the same effect seen at the Haunted Mansion, just with more up to date technology (though during the Mansion rehab, I believe they did upgrade the Madame Leota scene with the same effect found on Snow White).

Ryan: Toy Story Mania is a terrific shoot the targets game (in 4-D no less!). Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is pretty fun too--way better than what it replaced! (Delta Dreamflight). But I agree--using the empty Crypt building would save teh park some money on development costs and give the park a true dark ride which I agree it needs.
Oh, I love Toy Story Mania. That's a whole different "thing" than the red light and laser ordeal by Sally's.
  • Like 5

• 1 year later...

I would want the whole ride brought back in it's original building. It would need a lot of upkeep, yes, but so many people want it back. And Cedar Fair has done really great jobs in keeping up the park in general. Maybe one or two added new effects (perhaps A Maestro fog screen?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That sounds awesome a Maestro fog screen. I too would love to see a Phantom Theater return as I sincerely loved the original. Though being realistic it will probably be Great Pumpkin themed. It would be spooky but also great for kids. I would love either one. But I feel as though Phantom would be out of place and a Peanuts ride makes more since in the current Boo Blasters building. As for using The Crypt building for Phantom that's a possibility.

• Like 3

Agree with the location I think a classic Peanuts themed dark ride would be better there as it is bascially inside Planet Snoopy. A new one coudl work in either Crypt's building or Action Theatre.

A ride like Curse of Darkastle would be great for it, but I'd settle for a classic ride liek the original. Just hopefully it wound't be a shooter, rather have a good story and effects than just targets.

Also instead of anything with "return" or "revenge" in the title think to keep with the theme of a theatre and the Maestro should be something with "Encore", like Phantom's Encore or Phantom Theatre: Encore.

• Like 3

Agree with the location I think a classic Peanuts themed dark ride would be better there as it is bascially inside Planet Snoopy. A new one coudl work in either Crypt's building or Action Theatre.

A ride like Curse of Darkastle would be great for it, but I'd settle for a classic ride liek the original. Just hopefully it wound't be a shooter, rather have a good story and effects than just targets.

Also instead of anything with "return" or "revenge" in the title think to keep with the theme of a theatre and the Maestro should be something with "Encore", like Phantom's Encore or Phantom Theatre: Encore.

Phantom's Encore sounds perfect, I'm surprised that I didn't think up of that name.

• Like 1