Skeleton Key

BoddaH1994

The Great Adventure complex exceeds 2,200 acres...

That's a figure I saw. How many of those acres are publicly accessible? Is that what matters? Do animal exhibits count? Backstage areas? Parking lots? Undeveloped land? That's what I mean that I don't know what exactly "counts." Disney California Adventure is 54 acres, or about 10% as large as Great Adventure. (In comparison, The Beast covers 35 acres!) Is that because Disney only counts public areas? Do they include showbuildings? Backstage? The idea that most of California Adventure could fit within The Beast's footprint seems... not right.

Six Flags itself labels Great Adventure as the world's largest theme park... at "510 acres." *shrug*

I guess it's a rose-by-any-other-name situation.

Kings Island once had some pretty intense competition! Just in Ohio, the de facto leading Paramount Park was down the highway from a Six Flags park, a SeaWorld park, and Cedar Fair's flagship. That's not to say things were so black and white, but Ohio really was sort of the nation's leader in parks after the year-round states like California and Florida.

Now? Well... What was the world's largest Six Flags a decade ago now faces biting competition from lawn sprinklers and Slip'n Slides.

Some might say different but I have a hard time viewing SeaWorld as "competition" their focus is different than that of Cedar Fair/former Paramount Parks/Six Flags who care/cared more about thrill rides. SeaWorld/Busch Gardens are a category by themselves as far as I am concerned since coasters to them are to attract visitors who might also check out the exhibits while there. (considering the fact SeaWorld don't blow their money on a bunch of coasters which is nice)

^ Kings Island's competition extends beyond just amusement parks. They compete for time and dollars with many other forms of entertainment. Everything from travel to museums to theatre to sporting events.

And do keep in mind I was only talking about other parks like in my previous post before that. I'm well aware of that.

Sometimes I feel like what KI needs is competition and by competition I do mean another amusement park. KI has potential to be top dog in the midwest at least, they just need some help, lol.

Shall we get back onto the topic now?

Sometimes conversations evolve naturally. We almost always find our way back to the words in the topic title. Until then, posts begging people to "get back on topic" only add to the chaos. We're flexible here. :P Welcome.

• Like 9

Just looked at the construction...and it appears that there is only one entrance/exit into and out of the building. There is a base board all the way around, except at the back of the building. In the back, there is a large area framed in that looks like it could be the entrance.

• Like 4

I figure the back side of the building will be the entrance so they can use the access road as space for queues away from the midway, with the exit close to the midway for easier traffic flow. Considering how crowded Rivertown is during Haunt with Madame Fatale's and Tombstone Terror-tory, not to mention The Beast, I'd imagine the further away this is from the midway, the better.

• Like 2

(with the exception of Slaughterhouse which is very close to BGT and USO in quality)

Also, I've noted your praise of Slaughterhouse suits my observation as well.

Slaughterhouse is the only one that actually startled me :o in a couple of places.....

It's a good thing that Sam's in hibernation right now. If he read these comments he'd get a big head! Of course, I mean that figuratively but Sam would take it literally and go on the prowl for victims with large noggins.

• Like 4

Just looked at the construction...and it appears that there is only one entrance/exit into and out of the building. There is a base board all the way around, except at the back of the building. In the back, there is a large area framed in that looks like it could be the entrance.

By code, you have to have at least 2 means of egress inside a building. Perhaps this structure falls into an exception, but I'd be shocked if there was only 1 entrance/exit into the building when all is said and done.

• Like 3

I have to update. From just the other day, there appears to be an entrance forming at both ends of the building and there are two possible fire exits on the south side (one may be access to fire sprinklers or plumbing of some kind)......so far. And crappy looking steel siding that makes it look out of place near The Beast.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I want one of those so bad, but I don't know if Skeleton Key is really for me. I've only gone to like two haunted things in my life (the caves, and a hayride) and they were both about startle rather than scariness, which I don't really like. I guess I'll give one of the attractions a try tomorrow and decide if I think it'd be worth it.

Or maybe I'll just buy one of the key chains on eBay later. Surely there are people out there that want the experience but not the souvenier.

• Like 1

The only thing about it, at Cedar Point they gave you a plastic skeleton that attached to your Fright Lane pass that lite up so the actors in the house knew you had Skeleton Key so I'm not sure how the actors are going to be able to tell that you indeed have it. I guess I'll find out next Saturday.