Ideal Build-Out: Kings Island

bkroz

Think that overall this sounds great. I would just make a few minor changes to it. Going with the theory of it all being an ideal buildout. But I would put a Tilt-A-Whirl type ride where Tower Gardens is now. This would still leave space for lots of trees and a sitting/garden area next to it as well to not affect the look too much. Also have the Steeplechase take up more of just the current footprint of BLSC and maybe swing out over the space next to Diamondback and the International Street Theatre. Then can use the remaining area next to Steeplechase and the area below Steeplechase next to the Theater and Diamondback to put in a new antique car ride. Just do a bridge over the walkway there to connect the two lots. Think this would really give it that classic feel to that area. Could also make the entrance to the antique cars be off the walk way by the carousel and have those rides and the Tilt-A-Whirl become a midway for International Street around the base of the Eiffel Tower.

I would keep Rvertown with it's current name and theme, I think it fits well. And think a mining themed ride where Crypt's building is would be best, but instead of an interadctive dark ride I imagine something more akin to Mystery Mine at Dollywod, with dark ride elements but outdoor portions of coaster as well. Woudl fit perfectly int his area.

Didn't see it in the write-up but agree compeltely with changing Boo Blaster to a Peanuts dark ride with a revamped and more polished look. Overall think Planet Snoopy is pretty good now.

I would keep Oktoberfest as a seperate area too but keep the plans about how you have them now. Think a Darkastle style dark ride would be great right there. I would also move Slingshot somewhere else (X-Base woudl be a good spot for it) and put a ride like Der Spinning Kggers there to bring that back adn give us a teacups style ride at the park too.

Can keep a dark Woods theme for Action Zone though adn think it woudl fit well with what we have there now. Think the Cobra idea would look great for Invertigo as well, and the Stonehenge-esque decorations for Delerium. I would however take out Timberwolf and add in an interactive dark ride here to fit the area, but I'm thinking something more like what it seems Voyage to the Iron Reef will be like and be mroe a standard dark ride with motion cars and not a rollercoaster type dark ride. This could incorporate a story for the area as well too. Finally I would add a giga coaster that utilizes SoB's old tation gong out behind Banshee for it's course.

X-Base Plans look good but might try to add a quick service restaurant in here. It could go next to Flight of Fear's exit. With Slingshot across from it next to Mission Control. I would add another big flat ride over here too , maybenext to Firehawk's exit. Think a Screamin' Swing or a Sledgehammer would be great here.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

While I like the idea of a Ferris Wheel returning to Kings Island, I don`t see that happening any time soon.  Ferris Wheels do not get great capacity (you can only load one or a couple of cars at a time versus loading an entire ride at once, like Scrambler and Shake Rattle and Roll).  It would be nice to see something put on that plot of land between Adventure Express, Racer and Flight of Fear though.  I don`t know if we will ever see anything placed there or not.

• Like 3

I agree that a Ferris Wheel and Triotech attraction could both make great additions, although I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of those spots.

That Ferris Wheel location would remove the Skyline Patio, which is a convenient dining area for guests. If it was gone guests would have to crowd the Coney midway while eating.

For Triotech, we have two oversized, empty buildings that could potentially fit a ride. Both the former Action Theater and Crypt are now storage / haunt mazes, yet both seem large enough for an attraction like Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2014 at 8:30 AM, The Interpreter said:

You should be an architect or designer.

Definitely not an engineer. Your obvious great talents lie in the domain of the former.

And you should have a great staff to advise and steer you.

I'm completely serious.

In another day and time, I'd have suggested Imagineer.

Zamperla. Zierer. Cloning another chain's rides. And what is soon to be a multi-use residential development. Unpronounceable and unrememorable German ride name--for the Midwest.

So many other great ideas. Such artistry.

Yep.

Designer.

Architect.

Not bean counter. Or engineer.

Your great prospects would quickly be snuffed.

May you win the Irish Sweepstakes, inherit a great fortune or become the favored employee of Matt Ouimet.

But please forget Zamperla.

At least.

One modern day Luna Park is sad enough.

Completely agree with all of this right here. You should seek to be a designer or architect. Seriously

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 4:33 PM, Spectrum91 said:

I agree that a Ferris Wheel and Triotech attraction could both make great additions, although I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of those spots.

That Ferris Wheel location would remove the Skyline Patio, which is a convenient dining area for guests. If it was gone guests would have to crowd the Coney midway while eating.

For Triotech, we have two oversized, empty buildings that could potentially fit a ride. Both the former Action Theater and Crypt are now storage / haunt mazes, yet both seem large enough for an attraction like Knott's Voyage to the Iron Reef.

They can always build another dining shelter can't they?:)

Also I was thinking of originally putting the dark ride in the old Crypt building but the building itself isn't large enough to fit a coaster like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. It could fit an Iron Reef style attraction but not a coaster. 

On 2/13/2017 at 7:35 PM, SonofBaconator said:

They can always build another dining shelter can't they?:)

Also I was thinking of originally putting the dark ride in the old Crypt building but the building itself isn't large enough to fit a coaster like Wonder Mountain's Guardian. It could fit an Iron Reef style attraction but not a coaster. 

Yes, but where would this be? And wherever you suggest, why not put the Ferris Wheel there instead?

Regarding Crypt, I think that building could fit a Wonder Mountain style attraction. Especially considering that the majority of Wonder Mountain is near-identical to Iron Reef, pardon the outdoor lift-hill and drop track. Both of which could fit into Crypt's building.

1 hour ago, Spectrum91 said:

Yes, but where would this be? And wherever you suggest, why not put the Ferris Wheel there instead?

Regarding Crypt, I think that building could fit a Wonder Mountain style attraction. Especially considering that the majority of Wonder Mountain is near-identical to Iron Reef, pardon the outdoor lift-hill and drop track. Both of which could fit into Crypt's building.

I chose my location for the Ferris wheel because it would be within close proximity to Dodgem and the carousel. 

The reason why I think a dark ride should be near Adventure Express is simple. I am not a fan of the Crypt building and would rather just see it knocked down because it sicks out like a sore thumb.  If a dark ride was put in the little "Triangle" between Racer, FOF, and Adventure Express, then KI would have more room to work with as opposed to trying to fit a coaster into a pre-existing building. Plus the extra building would cover up that giant empty space making up what I previously called the "triangle." They could install a building that could house a dark ride and still have enough room for a maintenance road. 

On 2/13/2017 at 4:33 PM, Spectrum91 said:

The Crypt building looks huge but is smaller than you would be likely to guess because it is very tall.  It is actually only 100 ft. by 100 ft.  While Iron Reef is 200 ft by 100 ft and that ignores the maintenance area.  Elevators add a massive level of complexity and cost to this type of attraction because you are moving a ride vehicle between floors while it is occupied.  The cost of adding elevators is likely so high it would be cheaper to tear down the building and just build a new building.  I just cannot think of a way to do this with ramps either, the vehicles cannot handle a very steep grade.

The old Crypt building needs something which can be built vertically, a very custom wild mouse coaster for instance.  I also think a flying theater ride similar to Soarin at Disney would be a good fit.  A number of companies are showing off similar designs but I do not know if any parks have built one.

Action Theater is also too small.  Plus the levels where the motion seats are located plus interior walls etc are all still in the building.  All of this stuff would have to be removed and I have no idea if it is even possible in a reasonable way.

• Like 1

I have been telling myself for about a year (maybe more) that I need to get back into NoLimits 2, master the coding for it, and actually make this (bkroz's) build-out plan in it. I keep procrastinating and procrastinating, mainly because coding isn't exactly a passion of mine and it's going to take a loooooooong time to do. Maybe I'll make this my big project for the 2017-2018 off-season...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...