Band organ back and operating at Grand Carousel

malem

I was really looking forward to this when the park posted that they were working on it during the off season. I was disappointed when the band organ was no where to be found when I rode the carousel earlier in the year. I am so excited to see and hear this in action. It is a wonderful bit of nostalgia. I am so glad that Cedar Fair and Kings Island have taken time to restore this wonderful piece of work, which is actually older than the Carousel itself! It actually dates back to 1918. The Carousel dates to 1926 and operated at Cincinnati`s Coney Island.

I am so excited to get up to Kings Island and check it out! I can`t wait.

• Like 6

stinky, me too more or less. Only for me it was last Monday, and after 25-30 years. I was looking at the remnants of the organ while I was on the ride thinking "geez, I don't think they're ever going to fix that" and I can't express how happy I am to be wrong!

I have been very impressed with KI's motivation this year.

• Like 3

I was at the park today, and as soon as I saw that tweet I headed straight for the Grand Carousel. Wow. What an improvement! I never got to experience the organ before it was removed, and I can see why you all wanted it back so badly.

The sound is crisp and clean, and it just feels right. I loved hearing that while riding. Well done for Kings Island indeed.

• Like 3

The band organ sounds fantastic. I've heard recordings, but the real thing is just so much better. You can hear it with your own ears and see it with your own eyes. It still needs a bit of cosmetic work to be fully back to its original glory, but hey, baby steps. I'll take this as a massive win for now. But I do hope it gets the cosmetic TLC it deserves as well.

I think for celebration, it's time to dust off this old girl!

14687878281_f6154c6bfb_h.jpg

Admit it, you're jealous. Coincidentally, if anyone knows where I might find the other LP they made of our beautiful Wurlitzer 157, I'd love to own that one too.

• Like 5