Band organ back and operating at Grand Carousel

malem

My niece and youngest nephew rode it for the first time yesterday. They loved the entire experience and was fascinated by the organ. Unfortnately, I don't remember the organ from my visits in the 80's but I remember loving the ride as a child. I'm glad that this experience continues!

• Like 4

Not to be a Negative Nancy or anything... but I thought that the carousel sounded pitiful (as of lst Sunday anyay).

I am by no means a carousel aficionado, but I've been to a lot of parks with beautifully maintained carousels that put ours to shame.

Hopefully, KI has plans of a full restoration.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I heard it when I was at the park on Sunday. I hadn't heard the good news here, but when I was in line I thought that it sounded a bit different. I asked the ride op and she filled me in. She seemed pretty happy about it and so was I. It was great hearing the ol' girl again, though I have to admit, there were a lot of random drum beats here and there not with the music, but perhaps they're still getting some bugs out.

• Like 4

I also was at the park this weekend and heard the organ for the first time since its return. While I'm glad to hear it back in action, it definitely didn't sound 100%. The bell/chimes weren't working at all, in fact, you could hear it play one or two of them during parts of a song but no more than that. I hope they continue to fix it up.

• Like 2

It still needed some work. The little splash symbol had a residual rattle, and the calliope didn't seem to harmonize perfectly. I think it was out of tune. Those need to be tuned often, and it's not an easy process. They probably had electricians and carpenters working on it, not experts. This isn't Disney.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It was running quite recently (about 2 weekends ago) but sounded off. It was a little slow, and had spots where there were syncopated accompaniments but no melody, so something was definitely amiss. It's great to have it operating again though, Hopefully they'll continue to get it back in shape!

• Like 1