7/18/14

coasterfanatic83

I went down to Kings Island with my brother today, and it was a beautiful day at the park. It was one of my favorite trips in a like time! It felt like forever since I had been there and it was a great day to visit, especially since we left before the rain got here. Here are a few notes:

• The band organ on the Grand Carousel. Wow. What an improvement! I never got to experience the organ before it was removed, and I can see why you all wanted it back so badly. The sound is crisp and clean, and it just feels right. I loved hearing that while riding. Well done for Kings Island indeed.

• I saw the Kings Island 5 for the first time today. Another success for the park. That was probably the highlight of my day. They were so peppy and upbeat, and they all sounded phenomenal.

• The cars on Shake, Rattle, & Roll were being taken off the ride today. They were stacked near the queue when I left the park, so I don't know if they were reattached or not.

• Drop Tower no longer plays Van Halen in the queue because of the FunTV. That was disappointing. :(

• During ERT, we were on Drop Tower when the national anthem was playing. Is there any way the ERT rides could be closed during the national anthem out of respect?

• I went through Dinosaurs Alive! for the first time today. I had been through Cedar Point's and Kings Island's was similar. A nice break from the park though!

• The Reds HOF Grille was fantastic as always.

• Maybe I'm just getting older, but is Flight of Fear more rough than in the past? It was nearly unbearable this morning in terms of shaking and rattling and whatnot, not to mention the lap bar tightened another notch twice during the ride. I found myself not enjoying that ride at all today.

• I had the push-up fudge things today for the first time today. I had the blue ice cream, chocolate, and peanut butter, and enjoyed all of them. Is the creamsicle flavor good as well?

• I noticed that Banshee had a rattle to it today, specifically in the blue train. Is that the train that has given everyone else problems?

• The construction of the building near The Beast was in full swing today, and that is a large building. I'm excited to see what goes in there.

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask.

• Like 4

Thanks for your report!

As for ERT and National Anthem, it is possible to close the rides during the National Anthem out of respect, but 99% of the time, the rides are already mid-cycle when the National Anthem starts. They could close the rides a few minutes prior to the National Anthem starting, but then there would be guests angry that the now 1/2 hour ERT session has been cut down to 20 minutes, or whatever it'd end up being. I personally am fine for the rides to be going for several reasons, one being that not everyone is patriotic and it may not be their personal choice to stand and listen to the performer (it's their personal Freedom). But at the same time, it irritates me when people run by during the singing to get to a ride first after ERT is over. Not to mention, the National Anthem can be heard all the way out in the parking lot, but the park doesn't stop traffic from coming in, to observe the singing.

It's a great thought, but in my opinion, it'd be harder to deal with, the stopping of running rides during the singing than to just let it go as it has been.

As for the Fudge Pops, the Creamsicle one is pretty good! I'm currently eating the Blue Ice Cream one.

I've noticed the rattle on Banshee too, but toward the back. My thought, wheels need changed.

• Like 3

I personally think it would make more sense to stop the singing of the national anthem every day at park open. Maybe reserve it for Independence Day and other national holidays.

They could bring in special performers for those days, which would hopefully also stop the butchering of the song with added sex gasps and grunts, which I find a lot more offensive than people at an amusement park enjoying the amusements they came for.

To be fair, those gasps are actually needed for singing. To be a powerful voice for a powerful song, short but deep breaths are needed to produce strong dynamics. However, doing so in the mic is not required or needed. Not to mention, taking in too much air to perform a song such as the National Anthem with longer phrasing can be damaging.

-Hydra, the Theatre/Music (Vocal) Major

• Like 2

Nor are the singers I have heard doing it during the anthem this year singing with a powerful voice, they are clearly just doing the gasps and grunts for effect. I understand that they are young and more interested in showing off their "talent" and less about the song they are singing. I've heard enough famous singers making the same mistake with the anthem to not hold it against a bunch of kids singing at a seasonal park. I just would rather the powers that be (who should know better) offer either an orchestral recording or no anthem, personally.

• Like 1

Yeah, last time I was at the park, it wasn't until I was halfway up Drop Tower that I got far enough away from FUNTV to hear the anthem was even being sung. At first I thought "oh, they're starting the anthem," then recognized "oh say does that Star-Spangled Banner yet wave" rather than "oh say can you see."