Banshee On Ride Cameras

jtmorningview

Could you imagine how much slower it would be to view the photo booth if video is added and if the riders want to watch their on ride video? The photo booth could be in a larger area or have the option to exit without having to go through the gift shop. I don't like being caught up in a crowd of people.

• Like 2

I noticed this when I was sitting in 8-4 last night. They were added somewhere between last Saturday and yesterday . There's also a control unit for the camera between the second and third seats of each row on the bottom of the train. Was talking to Devan last night about it, I'm curious to see what the pricing structure will be on this. Two cameras total for each row. For example, if sitting in Row 8 they were mounted to the back of 7-1 and 7-4. You can see what I'm talking about in the above picture.

Also it looked like the lens was moving around getting views of 8-3 and 8-4 while the ride was in motion as well?

• Like 3

I remember when FoF had those. I was riding with my mom and put my hands up before a turn and ended up smacking her right in the face. It was hilarious but the video was pretty expensive so we decided not to buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

^ nah. Most people are in the front seat for on-ride video. It wouldn't work too well.

I can assure you that that is not correct. Onride recording can get you ejected from the park and possibly even prosecuted.

No loose articles means no loose articles. Safety.

And, call me cynical, but the park will also not want competition for its sales. No outside food...no onride photography.

• Like 5

The parks are definitely cracking down on on-ride photography. My friend was terminated from KI after the administration found an on-ride photo selfie on his Facebook while he was there on his own personal time. Cedar Point and KI ride ops have been very vocal about it this year.

• Like 10

This is a neat concept.

I have an off topic question about the trains on Banshee and don't want to start a new topic. When the ride op goes to check your restraint I always see them look up above the OTSRs. I tried to look up there after the ride but I saw nothing. Is there something there that tells the ride ops if the restraints are locked in that row?

• Like 1

Imagine, if you will, this horrid headline:

Rider Gravely Injured At Dorney Park

Hit By Ride Operator Cell Phone

And the public perception.

Worse yet if the rider dies.

The media WOULD trumpet the fact it was an employee's phone.

Over and over and over.

Then the lawsuit(s) would come.

In technicality, the train was stopped before rolling into the station.

One aspiring videojournalist had his phone confiscated on Corkscrew's lift hill yesterday. When his train returned, everyone in the station was told not to be like that guy. I don't know whether security was called as well.

I told another rider to put his camera away, after he pulled it out on Gemini's lift hill while seated directly in front of me. He did. After exiting the ride, he conspicuously took a picture of me walking down the midway. Perhaps he thought I worked there (seeing the event lanyard) and wanted to complain about my "customer service", which would be rather funny. I had no desire to take a camera to the face at 60mph.

• Like 7

I had shattered cell phone parts hit me in the back while sitting in front of Invertigo's return trip to the station. Lucilky it only stung, but didn't break skin. On the same day a cell phone slammed the deck of Delirium, leaving a nickle plated spot and a medical cleanup in one seat of the ride, plus a purple gloved wipedown of said seat which delayed the ride for 15 or so minutes.

• Like 3

This is a neat concept.

I have an off topic question about the trains on Banshee and don't want to start a new topic. When the ride op goes to check your restraint I always see them look up above the OTSRs. I tried to look up there after the ride but I saw nothing. Is there something there that tells the ride ops if the restraints are locked in that row?

There is a control box with LEDs on it for the seats..tells if they are locked or not by that point. Watch from the station or after leaving the gift shop and you can see it in the middle of the row
  • Like 5

It has been CF policy for many years not to take pictures while riding. And if you ask anyone they will always say safety is the reason. But, I feel confident in my opinion that safety is not the only reason, and may not even be the primary motive for the rule.

I don't think they should give any reasons when people ask about it. It's enough to say, "It's our ride and we said no." Saying it's for safety suggests the rule is somehow negotiable, but it's not. For example, if someone wants to take pictures while riding, there's no way they would be allowed to ride after securing the camera for picture taking in any way. That is to say, there's *no*amount* of velcro, straps, twine, special clothing, helmet--anything--that will suddenly make it ok for a person to ride and take video or pictures. There is no approved technique that suddenly makes it safe. Even if it would take 3 NFL players to remove the camera by force, you still can't take a picture while riding.

I take this to mean there are other reasons, and I can only speculate what they might be. Perhaps they feel the images are a copyrighted experience of sorts, or maybe if the ride malfunctioned a person would be able to use evidence against the park, etc. Maybe they want some kind of control over how those images might be published, how it would represent the park...who really knows? But it can't just be safety by itself.

It has been CF policy for many years not to take pictures while riding. And if you ask anyone they will always say safety is the reason. But, I feel confident in my opinion that safety is not the only reason, and may not even be the primary motive for the rule.

I don't think they should give any reasons when people ask about it. It's enough to say, "It's our ride and we said no." Saying it's for safety suggests the rule is somehow negotiable, but it's not. For example, if someone wants to take pictures while riding, there's no way they would be allowed to ride after securing the camera for picture taking in any way. That is to say, there's *no*amount* of velcro, straps, twine, special clothing, helmet--anything--that will suddenly make it ok for a person to ride and take video or pictures. There is no approved technique that suddenly makes it safe. Even if it would take 3 NFL players to remove the camera by force, you still can't take a picture while riding.

I take this to mean there are other reasons, and I can only speculate what they might be. Perhaps they feel the images are a copyrighted experience of sorts, or maybe if the ride malfunctioned a person would be able to use evidence against the park, etc. Maybe they want some kind of control over how those images might be published, how it would represent the park...who really knows? But it can't just be safety by itself.

Taking photos or video on rides can result in being ejected from the park and given a misdemeanor under O.R.C. 1711551. This information is stated in the Park Guide.

• Like 13

Once upon a time (two years ago, to be exact), I was taking a joyous ride on The Beast with my middle daughter. Going up hill was great. At the top of the hill, we began our descent and 4 people in front of us got out their cellphones. The rest of the ride, I feared for my daughter and I's safety on the ride. Phones were not only out, but up in the air. Did I enjoy my ride? Absolutely not. My eyes were on the phones at all times, just waiting for one to become a pain inducing projectile. The phones were turned around to film the 'on ride experience' and back around to get the track. Very scary. Upon return to the station, many security personnel were awaiting the would-be, uh, photojournalists. At this point, my daughter (who at that time was 10) looked at me and said "I'm glad they'll get punished for being so stupid". Some people have no regard for the safety of others.

That said, I'm off topic a bit, but yes, if this is something we can purchase soon, I'd love to do so when my youngest conquers the ride for the first time :)

• Like 6

^ nah. Most people are in the front seat for on-ride video. It wouldn't work too well.

I can assure you that that is not correct. Onride recording can get you ejected from the park and possibly even prosecuted.

No loose articles means no loose articles. Safety.

And, call me cynical, but the park will also not want competition for its sales. No outside food...no onride photography.

I believe he was referring the the comment above his that these new cameras might be for use in enforcing the rule of no on-ride photos or video. That indeed wouldn't work well because many who do illegally shoot photos or video are in the front seat for an unobstructed view, and these new cameras apparently do not cover the front seat.

• Like 4