Mantis at Cedar Point

^ Yeah, I'm not talking about the corkscrew, like goodyellowkorn said. I'm talking about the rider heartline, which is the axis that all track banking on the ride is based around.

Ah. Yes. Now that you put it that way, I can definitely see where that could be an issue. I think it just goes to show how... not worthwhile (for lack of a better word) such a conversion would be. Mantis has a layout that is very intense for a standup coaster. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that everything could work out from a physiological, financial, legal, and any other relevant standpoint and this project were given the green light, how exciting and intense would it really be as a floorless? I haven't ridden a floorless personally, but it seems to me like Mantis has a layout that is very tame in comparison to a lot of them, judging by photos, videos, etc. that I've seen. Perhaps I'm wrong, though. It would bring a floorless coaster back into Ohio, but at the same time, we'd lose our last standup.

• Like 4

I think Mantis is intense because of its layout. Certainly standing has its own exhaustive quality, but the layout itself is pretty... shall we say, convoluted? I always compared it to the old coaster-building PC games where you'd try to connect back to the brakes only to find that you're off a square or something, so you add a loop... Then you have to bring it back around so you add a helix. But you need an S-turn to line up to complete the circuit, etc etc. By time you're done, you look back and find you've built...

4fe0g9bbqor70004a007g0.jpg

Frankencoaster.

Just twists and rolls and bumps and turns and loops. And not even in an attractive and inspired way like Flight of Fear.

I don't know a thing about engineering or physics. Doesn't seem to me that changing the train or heartline would have some disastrous result on riders, but I literally have absolutely no idea whatsoever. Really.

• Like 10

I mean, I've ridden two floorless coasters (Dominator and Bizarro) and they were fun rides. The floorless aspect is unique but not drastically different from a standard sit-down coaster unless you sit in the front row. I think Mantis would make a decent floorless coaster, but I feel like making that change would really only matter to enthusiasts.

• Like 4

I want a flyer. It would be awesome to have it fly over the water.

I suggest you go to Carowinds sometime in the future.

Or SeaWorld Orlando. Manta looks pretty darn awesome!

I agree. I would love to ride Manta.

But I would go to Carowinds first because of the new giga coaster they are getting in 2015 and besides, his favorite coaster is I305 so he could hit up that on the way down to Carowinds. Also, if he owns a Platinum Pass he gets in for free! :D

ThatGuy, a planner.

• Like 3

Manta is an awesome ride and I would love to have a B&M Flying Coaster in closer proximity.

• Like 3

I would really love it if something is done to Mantis for next year. Maybe the paint will grow on me (if it's indeed being painted), but I find Mantis' current colors to be among my favorite color combo in the park. It's so unique and cool. But I do like that shade of green. I wonder what the supports would be...

• Like 1

I agree. I would love to ride Manta.

But I would go to Carowinds first because of the new giga coaster they are getting in 2015 and besides, his favorite coaster is I305 so he could hit up that on the way down to Carowinds. Also, if he owns a Platinum Pass he gets in for free! :D

ThatGuy, a planner.

I do got 'dem Platinum Pass. I now know what I will do next year.

• Like 1

I would really love it if something is done to Mantis for next year. Maybe the paint will grow on me (if it's indeed being painted), but I find Mantis' current colors to be among my favorite color combo in the park. It's so unique and cool. But I do like that shade of green. I wonder what the supports would be...

I would be happy with green and the current support color. Maybe yellow rails. Red, yellow, and blue never seemed to suit Mantis: TCFKAB to me.

I think Mantis is intense because of its layout. Certainly standing has its own exhaustive quality, but the layout itself is pretty... shall we say, convoluted? I always compared it to the old coaster-building PC games where you'd try to connect back to the brakes only to find that you're off a square or something, so you add a loop... Then you have to bring it back around so you add a helix. But you need an S-turn to line up to complete the circuit, etc etc. By time you're done, you look back and find you've built...

4fe0g9bbqor70004a007g0.jpg

Frankencoaster.

Just twists and rolls and bumps and turns and loops. And not even in an attractive and inspired way like Flight of Fear.

I don't know a thing about engineering or physics. Doesn't seem to me that changing the train or heartline would have some disastrous result on riders, but I literally have absolutely no idea whatsoever. Really.

Anyone notice anything different about this photo? This was Mantis as it was pre-2000 when the entrance was behind the train tracks from the beginning of the Frontier Trail. After Millenium Force opened in 2000 the entrance to Mantis was changed to its present location by the photo booth. Notice also the long line. Used to love Mantis especially the brief air-time after the dive loop. For the past few years, sadly, it has gotten kind of rough around the edges. I am certainly keeping my fingers crossed that they will give this coaster a bit of TLC whether as a floorless or some other style.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is the new paint scheme much more appropriate for a "Mantis" than the former?

Green and silver with red rails?

giant-rainforest-mantis-hierodula-majusc

I'd count that as evidence against this being a potential Lebron coaster.

Unless the Lebron coaster is a testament to his high school days, during which he was a green-and-gold "Fighting Irish" leprechaun at St. Vincent – St. Mary High School here in Akron. (By the way, my own high school's big rival! We famously lost the big basketball match 4 years in a row. ;)) Probably little St. Vincent – St. Mary would be easier to rein into a deal than the Cleveland Cavaliers.

• Like 6

Screamscape just posted that the Mantis new paint and floorless conversion are linked and are going to happen. This makes the chances in my opinion 70% sure it will happen. But it is Screamscape and they have been wrong

Screamscape just said my a$$ was purple, because I sent an anonymous email saying it was. :lol:

• Like 3

Nooooooooooooo. I love Mantis just as it is. It's one of my favorite coasters, and the only stand-up I've ever ridden. I really, really hope that they don't convert it to floorless.

The fact you've ridden only one goes far in explaining why you like it.

In my opinion, it's the second worst in America, better only than the aptly named Apocalypse at Six Flags America.

• Like 2