Kings Island Kicks Cancer Campaign

Help Kings Island kick cancer. You will make an impact. You might win a new car!

Kings Island Kicks Cancer is a new park initiative this year. Beginning July 25 - August 24, you can purchase a soccer ball for only $5 or get 5 soccer balls for $20 and kick them into the fountain for your chance to win a 2015 Honda Fit, courtesy of our good friends at Performance Kings Honda.

Net proceeds benefit Melanoma Know More, The Dragonfly Foundation and Pink Ribbon Girls.

Share a photo of you getting ready to kick your soccer ball into the fountain on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #KIKicksCancer for your chance to win a behind the scenes tour of our maintenance shops this winter. You must follow us on one of the three social platforms listed to be eligible.

• Like 8

It looks like some great causes are benefiting this year. I am curious about the soccer balls: what happens when guests kick them too hard?

As part of this campaign, KI is looking for at least 184 heads to shave on Friday, August 1 to raise awareness and break a world record: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4baeaa23a13-kings

Greg Sheid registered to have his head shaved, according to his Twitter account. Presumably Don will join in on the fun as well? :)

• Like 4

It looks like some great causes are benefiting this year. I am curious about the soccer balls: what happens when guests kick them too hard? As part of this campaign, KI is looking for at least 184 heads to shave on Friday, August 1 to raise awareness and break a world record: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0b4baeaa23a13-kings Greg Sheid registered to have his head shaved, according to his Twitter account. Presumably Don will join in on the fun as well? :)

There was a target for the duckies, I would suspect they would try to coral the soccer balls likewise. The only people I can think of that would purposely kick a soccer ball into a crowd, or "misdirect" a soccer ball by kicking so hard to cause mayhem, wouldn't be the type to lay down donation money.

• Like 1

What happens when a well-meaning person attempts to kick the ball, only to display a complete lack of soccer skills by accidentally glancing it off the side of his foot and sending it sideways into the crowd? Some people just suck at kicking balls.

jcgoble3, one of those "some people" :P

• Like 3

What happens when a well-meaning person attempts to kick the ball, only to display a complete lack of soccer skills by accidentally glancing it off the side of his foot and sending it sideways into the crowd? Some people just suck at kicking balls.

jcgoble3, one of those "some people" :P

You run the same risk with throwing a ball.

See Mark Mallory.

A short, gentle toss can be easily controlled by almost anyone. A kick, even a gentle one, requires pinpoint accuracy when foot meets ball, or else the ball will fly sideways. And a small error at the contact point results in a large error in the path of the ball.

• Like 1

A short, gentle toss can be easily controlled by almost anyone. A kick, even a gentle one, requires pinpoint accuracy when foot meets ball, or else the ball will fly sideways. And a small error at the contact point results in a large error in the path of the ball.

Clearly former Cincinnati mayor Mark Mallory is not "almost anyone"

• Like 1

You do have a point. I'm just going to throw mine. Whatta they gonna do? Flag me?

edited to add on July 23:

Looks like they have a lot of net and astroturf for the area where you kick it into the fountain, from a picture on FB;

They are ready for clumsy sportsmen.

• Like 3

My friend and I did the $5 donation of Friday. The only way my kick could have been worse is if it had hit me in the face when it bounced back. It was pretty bad. My friend however made it in the goal. He won a free appetizer at Bonefish.

• Like 3

Oh gosh, there's a goal too? I am getting all my school gym class anxiety up over this promotion. I want to participate, but I am really bad at sports. I hope they'll be ok if I just toss mine in by hand. If not, I'll probably just donate money and leave it at that.

Don't fret. They have a pretty decent setup that forces the ball into the fountain. Even toddlers were tapping the ball and it was rolling into the fountain.
  • Like 1

Ape - I think you are awesome.

I hope you get a "kick" out of this down the road when you think back about it. Maybe there will be a story for you to share with your son as he gets older and gets to kick the ball himself. It would be nothing shy of awesome if he kicked the ball just like you.

• Like 2