Cool Idea for visitkingsisland.com

Nick_Plummer

I was just on Cedar Point's website planning a trip for next month when I saw that almost all of their roller coasters have POVs on their page. I was just wondering why Kings Island doesn't have that on it's site. Plus a few of it's rides need updated POVs, (Vortex, Racer, Diamondback) Do you guys think KI would ever add this to their website?

They never have, so I doubt it. It is sad that the off ride video for The Bat contains footage from the Flight Deck days.

I don't know if I'd call that sad necessarily.

The website serves a lot of functions, but I'd say the priorities are park hours, ticket prices and purchasing, season pass information, food allergy information, ride lineup, etc. That's not to say that Kings Island's website excels in all of those areas, but that is really what the site is for.

Stuff like web cams, live cameras, ride trivia, blogs, and POV videos are fun for folks like us, and the general public that searches through it would enjoy it too. But that The Bat is sometimes shown with gray track instead of orange isn't really a failure or anything. So they haven't taken the time and energy and money to film crystal clear official POV videos and update every attraction detail. *shrug* You win some, you lose some. Now, if the website still referenced The Crypt or Drop Zone or Flight Deck by name, that would be a whole different story... (EDIT: And for a while, the misinformation and many errors on the official website had a whole thread here...)

Visit visit Kings Island dot com for more information!

• Like 5

I wish they just had a blog, it works quite well and totally enjoyable from CP.

Live cams would be a huge hit with me

Updated POVs would be great, but let's face it we all can close our eyes and imagine the ride

Tweetups! I know there's the creepy enthusiasts that used to (well still do) hound Don till he hits send on Twitter. However line passes, bogo offers, KI coins or pins, etc would be pretty sweet. Also would add a bit of excitement to the day.

• Like 4

I wish they just had a blog, it works quite well and totally enjoyable from CP.

Live cams would be a huge hit with me

Updated POVs would be great, but let's face it we all can close our eyes and imagine the ride

Tweetups! I know there's the creepy enthusiasts that used to (well still do) hound Don till he hits send on Twitter. However line passes, bogo offers, KI coins or pins, etc would be pretty sweet. Also would add a bit of excitement to the day.

We've done a number of tweet-ups this summer including last night when we gave away Banshee posters. Done randomly and unexpectedly, we're getting different winners every time.

As for the blog, a lot of the things you'll see other parks post in blogs in the news section of our website. Essentially the same thing, different name.

• Like 7

Guest dtk1376

I'm not a big fan for the POVs, they are almost like spoilers for how a roller coaster is going to go before even riding it, I won't let my daughter see the ones for Adventure Express & Backlot Stunt Coaster just so she doesn't expect the theme going into it for when she is finally tall enough to ride. Now, on the flip side, they are nice for retired rides so you can re-experience something in a way that you will never experience again (King Cobra, Tomb Raider, etc.).

The website is pretty well done, the only issue I have had with it this year was with the dining plans having hardly any information posted while the promotion was in full swing. That issue has been rectified since then, I just hope that for future promotions they put extensive information online in a more timely manner instead of how they did the dining plan with the seemingly: Hey! We have a dining plan, ask Guest Relations about it...

• Like 1

Are you on mobile?

Like all Cedar Fair parks, the KI mobile site is rather sad. And not very functional.

FLASH! Desktops are fading away........

We're on it with improving the mobile app. You'll see changes to the app in the foreseeable future.

• Like 12

The mobile app's vendor also supplies the mobile website. Hopefully they'll be improved simultaneously.

I still think that the parks' main websites should be properly functional on mobile devices, rather than redirecting to the outside vendor's site. It's 2014, not 2008.

• Like 5

The thing I've had most trouble with on the app/mobile website currently is finding the Kings Island Five's location schedule. It's the info I most want at the park that isn't otherwise available (like I can just look at the sign outside the theater to check when Cirque Imagine is showing if I didn't have it memorized). Or I could grab the show schedule inside the gates, but it isn't listed on that either.

I can only see it on the full site. I have the page bookmarked, but when I go to the bookmark, it automatically redirects to the mobile site. So, I have to click through about five pages before I see it. I probably should just copy it to a text file and save that.

It kind of sucks that you're tied into the mobile site/ app maker chosen by Cedar Fair as a whole rather than being able to make your own adjustments as needed.

• Like 2

So Don do you think we would see some updated POVs anytime soon coming to the website/YouTube page soon?

The Banshee and Beast pages on our website have POV footage. We may add Diamondback and Vortex before the end of the season.

• Like 8

Make sure next time you see him in the park you add "the" in front of every thing that does not have the in front of it, and everything that does have "the" in front of it take it out just to see his reaction.

• Like 2

Just found the News section which is pretty awesome, but not through the main page. Google is your friend. Figured it'd be in the online fun or plan a visit area..nope, I don't even think there is a way to find it off of the main website easily.

Also why have links to KITV/Newsletter/etc. when it just redirects?

It's under Media Center at the bottom right of each page, then News & Features.