Cool Idea for visitkingsisland.com

Nick_Plummer

They never have, so I doubt it.

Not never. Back when Paramount owned the park, several rides had POV's.

Not never. Back when Paramount owned the park, several rides had POV's.

Ah, yes. I remember watching the POV's on the old PKI website... good times! B)

I'm not old enough to remember the Paramount times, so I was just talking about the Cedar Fair days.

ahhhh Paramount Kings Island. My childhood. I am part of the Nickelodeon Universe generation. I remember The Beastie, high-fiving SpongeBob, blasting ghosts with Scooby-Doo and the gang, flying with Danny Phantom and splashing (or should I say smashing) with the Wild Thornberry's. It was bliss.

(From my first trip to KI, closing day 2004)

Screenshot_2014-07-21-22-47-071_zps4b3b5

Screenshot_2014-07-21-22-46-501_zps9e0c3

Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.

• Like 11

Terp, I'm sure you are of my generation. The Bat (Original), Hannah Barberra Land, The Scooby Doo roller coaster, Winnie Witches' cauldrons, The Demon, Der Spinnin' Keggers, The Bayern Curve, The Skyline, I could go on.

• Like 2

Would it be possible for Cedar Fair to use the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (15 U.S.C. § 1125(d)) to claim the domain name "kingsisland.com" instead of using "visitkingsisland.com"? The registrant appears to be in Canada and the domain does not appear to be in use. Or I guess they could just email the owner or give him a call...

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

Looks like it's registered to a company named "King's Island Inc.", according to a quick Google search, King's Island Inc. is a Chinese restaurant in Pennsylvania. Can't imagine King's Island is quite as FUN as Kings Island. :)

• Like 2

Looks like it's registered to a company named "King's Island Inc.", according to a quick Google search, King's Island Inc. is a Chinese restaurant in Pennsylvania. Can't imagine King's Island is quite as FUN as Kings Island. :)

According to Yelp, it is not the restaurant's website. (by the way, the restaurant is closed).

Google Trends shows "kingsisland.com" being a frequent search, so I think it would be a good idea for Cedar Fair to claim/invest in the domain name.

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

The address for King's Island Inc is an address in Toronto according to register.com, looked it up on street view on Google, just a house, the owner is driving a Cadillac Escalade, so must be making some kind of money. lol

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

Which would mean Cedar Fair would need to pay the asking price of the owner of the domain, which I would guess they have attempted to in the past with the asking price being too high.

United States Code (USC) does not apply in Canada.

Canada is not a state, territory or possession of The United States of America.

Question: What if I don't live in the US? Can I still lose my domain name under the ACPA?

Answer: Indeed, you can. If the mark owner is protected by US law (uses the mark in the US) then that mark owner can bring an ACPA action in a US court regardless of the domain holder's location. If the domain holder fails to show up in court, s/he may lose by default, in which case the US court will issue an order to the domain registrar or registry to cancel or transfer the domain registration to the mark owner.

(source: http://www.chillingeffects.org/acpa/faq.cgi)

• Like 4

Guest dtk1376

If King's Island Inc is an actual registered corporate entity then the owner of that website has just as much right to kingsisland.com as Cedar Fair does.

• Like 2

Are you on mobile?

Like all Cedar Fair parks, the KI mobile site is rather sad. And not very functional.

FLASH! Desktops are fading away........

We're on it with improving the mobile app. You'll see changes to the app in the foreseeable future.

What about adding an option to report ride wait times?

• Like 2

Guest dtk1376

Thinking King's Island Inc may no longer be an operating company.

According to archives this is the last known good website for kingsisland.com, which was October 2011:

http://web.archive.org/web/20111025001339/http://kingsisland.com/

And here is the corporate register for the company which hasn't been renewed since 2009:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/vwTrdmrk.do?lang=eng&fileNumber=1331267

For those that are unaware, pki.com still works (redirects you to visitkingsisland.com) and requires less typing.

That doesn't solve the problem that the average member of the general public looking for the park website would be likely to try kingsisland.com first and would never think of visitkingsisland.com until they give up and go to Google. I know when looking for an unfamiliar website, I often try obvious domains directly before hitting Google.

• Like 1

Guest dtk1376

Just for giggles I emailed the owner of the domain asking how much he wanted for the domain and he actually responded

"Not interested in selling."

• Like 4

I know when looking for an unfamiliar website, I often try obvious domains directly before hitting Google.

I'm the exact opposite.....search even if I know the domain, lulz, not sure why.

Always find it fascinating how so many people can do the same thing differently.

• Like 4

United States Code (USC) does not apply in Canada.

Canada is not a state, territory or possession of The United States of America.

Question: What if I don't live in the US? Can I still lose my domain name under the ACPA?

Answer: Indeed, you can. If the mark owner is protected by US law (uses the mark in the US) then that mark owner can bring an ACPA action in a US court regardless of the domain holder's location. If the domain holder fails to show up in court, s/he may lose by default, in which case the US court will issue an order to the domain registrar or registry to cancel or transfer the domain registration to the mark owner.

(source: http://www.chillingeffects.org/acpa/faq.cgi)

Note what it very carefully does not say. It doesn't say what happens if the foreign owner enters an appearance and does not allow a default judgment. The reality is a foreign holder interested in protecting its interest won't lose that interest IF they file an answer and enter an appearance. Foreign conflict of laws provisions will apply, and US courts do NOT have sole jurisdiction when there is no default. The validity of the foreign owner's claim would doubtless be decided in the claimant's legal domicile--a US court is not competent to decide such, nor would it have subject matter jurisdiction.

Defaults are easy, it's contested claims that are not. Were this easy, Cedar Fair would already be using kingsisland.com. That it is not speaks volumes.

Terp, who is not engaged in the private practice of law in Ohio, the District of Columbia, any United State, Canada, nor any province thereof. There is no legal advice intended for any particular client herein. Consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction if you have, or think you may have, a legal problem. This is a disclaimer.

• Like 2

We have to see it in Cedar Fair's eyes. Obviously they are not suffering with park attendance, so, in their eyes, why change it? People make their way to the website and find things just fine, so why waste money to get a certain domain and not see profits increase as a result of the business decision?