Skyhawk accident @ CP

Ironically, Dave Althoff, Jr., just posted elsewhere that standards now require that e-stops on rides manufactured after June 2014 stop all hazardous ride movement at once, not just cut power.

Pretty much what I just said.

Amazed that it just recently became a standard......should be a no-brainer.

• Like 5

^ The media would seek accounts from spectators regardless of the PR statement. It's more sensational that way.

What was the media statement missing? It seemed to be fairly complete, for what could be known for certain in the initial hours of the investigation.

The media constantly screws up amusement park info & creates drama when there is none.

Case in point: The other night Disney California Adventure was mentioned on one of the local news stations in Toronto. Why? Because California' Screamin' stopped on one of the lift hills. Riders needed to be evacuated and walk down the steps. The horror.

• Like 4

I make my living off the evening news. Just give me something-something I can use. People love it when you lose, They love dirty laundry...

Well I could have been an actor, but I wound up here, I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear, come and whisper in my ear, give us dirty laundry...

kick em when they're up, kick em when they're down, kick em when they're up, kick em all around.

(Don Henley - Dirty Laundry)

• Like 5

I will say this, if you wonder why these things get publicised (now mind you a cable breaking is a serious news story) its because people talk about it. Generates clicks. If you dont want these things publicised quit clicking on them and quit talking about them...

• Like 5

I love how I'm still reading reports that a man broke a leg and another was really injured.

But per the park:

"At approximately 10 p.m., a cable on one of the Skyhawk swing ride's carriages disconnected. The ride's crew immediately shut down the ride and notified the park's emergency personnel. The cable came in contact with two guests. One was treated and released at the scene. As a precaution, the other was transported to a local hospital for evaluation."

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/07/witness_to_skyhawk_accident_at.html

• Like 1