Skyhawk accident @ CP

I love how I'm still reading reports that a man broke a leg and another was really injured.

But per the park:

"At approximately 10 p.m., a cable on one of the Skyhawk swing ride's carriages disconnected. The ride's crew immediately shut down the ride and notified the park's emergency personnel. The cable came in contact with two guests. One was treated and released at the scene. As a precaution, the other was transported to a local hospital for evaluation."

http://www.cleveland.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/07/witness_to_skyhawk_accident_at.html

What else do you expect them to say regarding injuries? They can't disclose patient condition or injuries unless given permission by the injured.

• Like 1

One treated and released at the scene (not a broken leg) and as a precaution, the other was transported to a local hospital for evaluation (nothing serious if just an evaluation and an evaluation wouldn't be a broken leg either).

I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

I mean, I get with HIPPA laws, they can't disclose the extend of injuries, but these "reputable" news sources saying there was a broken leg and another serious injury without having anything to support it (like a phone call to the local hospital where said victim was taken, saying the patient is in ___ condition like they do with car accidents), is insane. Most of the things I've read from the news sites are saying "eye witness accounts say one male victim has a broke leg from the accident. The witness was standing in front of the ride watching it operate." Or something very very similar. Speculation has gotten way out of control with "news sources" and reporters have gotten lazy when it comes to researching the facts.

• Like 4

Car accident and amusement park accident are very different situations.

In both cases, the hospital will release this statement: We are not allowed to release patient information.

In a car crash, the police will release an official statement with injuries, etc.

In an amusement park situation, there may not be a police report, so they only have what the park releases.

PLUS it is not speculation when taking an eye witness account. You are reporting what people are saying. Many times, a news station is not filled with enthusiasts. They are reporters who are trained to write a news story.

When trying to get information, here is how a normal phone call would go.

ME: Hi, this is XXXX XXXX from WETM news, I was wondering if I could get some updated information about the incident on XXXX

Park/police/etc: At this time, we have nothing new to add until our official statement is release.

ME: So the reports of a person with a broken leg are true?

PARK/POLICE/ETC: At this time, we cannot issue a statement/there has not been more information

ME: When will we get more info?

PARK/POLICE/ETC: It is forthcoming, have a good day.

Versus an eye witness

ME: Hi, Im from WETM 18 news, can you tell me what happened?

Person: I was standing right there blah blah blah blah blah

ME: Thanks

Edited by shark6495
  • Like 4

One treated and released at the scene (not a broken leg) and as a precaution, the other was transported to a local hospital for evaluation (nothing serious if just an evaluation and an evaluation wouldn't be a broken leg either).

I guess you didn't understand what I was trying to say.

I mean, I get with HIPPA laws, they can't disclose the extend of injuries, but these "reputable" news sources saying there was a broken leg and another serious injury without having anything to support it (like a phone call to the local hospital where said victim was taken, saying the patient is in ___ condition like they do with car accidents), is insane. Most of the things I've read from the news sites are saying "eye witness accounts say one male victim has a broke leg from the accident. The witness was standing in front of the ride watching it operate." Or something very very similar. Speculation has gotten way out of control with "news sources" and reporters have gotten lazy when it comes to researching the facts.

In news cycles, it seems that we have evolved from factual to "first and factual" to just plain first. In this day an age of twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc... its a rush to get the news out the door and into the public's hands as quickly as possible, truth be darned, because if you're not first, its going to be old news 10 minutes later. The general public likely won't remember where they heard the news first, they'd be lucky if they eventual get the whole, factual story before they've moved on to the next news item.

• Like 6

In both cases, the hospital will release this statement: We are not allowed to release patient information.

In a car crash, the police will release an official statement with injuries, etc.

In an amusement park situation, there is no police report, so they only have what the park releases.

PLUS it is not speculation when taking an eye witness account.

medical evaluations are often very much speculation when taking eye witness accounts. Very few eye witnesses are equipped to offer up an accurate medical evaluation, let alone when they are standing 5 or more feet away.

• Like 6

In news cycles, it seems that we have evolved from factual to "first and factual" to just plain first. In this day an age of twitter, Facebook, blogs, etc... its a rush to get the news out the door and into the public's hands as quickly as possible, truth be darned, because if you're not first, its going to be old news 10 minutes later. The general public likely won't remember where they heard the news first, they'd be lucky if they eventual get the whole, factual story before they've moved on to the next news item.

Not so much that as the way the news is delivered has changed. Every news organization should be going for the truth. There are a few places who have an ulterior motive when leaving out details or delivering the news with a slight slant (see FOX for a pro-conservative view and MSNBC as pro-liberal). But in reality, the news cycle has changed so so much. 10-20 years ago, you had a relatively long time to get information to the masses with all of the details. If a story broke at 10pm, you gave out some information and followed up the next morning on your morning news or at noon. Now, everyone is clamoring for details and a story needs to go up. Its the truth, but it may not be all of the details. The way you make it sound, is that the journalists are lazy. I can guarantee you that, that is false. Unless you have spent time in a newsroom, you have no idea how hard it is to get an official statement.

In an amusement park situation, there is no police report, so they only have what the park releases.

medical evaluations are often very much speculation when taking eye witness accounts. Very few eye witnesses are equipped to offer up an accurate medical evaluation, let alone when they are standing 5 or more feet away.

I dont disagree with this, but by this logic no one but a trained medical professional is equipped to offer up a medical evaluation. Even then, I would say the only person who can say something is broken, is a Dr looking at x-rays.

BUT I get it, its easy to comment on the ability of the news people for not having a full story or ruining parks because it fits what most on here want to think is that the media is full of people who are not smart, dont like the truth, and looking to scare people about the parks. Continue on with the news people bashing, I dont want to stand in yalls way.

Edited by shark6495
  • Like 3

This is why I try to stay away from S&S whenever possible.

You do realize that they do provide some of THE safest rides ever built. S&S towers are so beautifully redundant you don't even realize. This accident is a huge what the heck kind of fluke. The fact that cable actually held enough tension to do this even surprises me. The ride had a failure, the ride was e stopped and did everything as intended (trust me, would you want to have a swinging cable, then e stop from 60mph to 0 quickly, probably would make it worse), and then crews responded very well. If Skyhawk survives this which I hope it really does, I will certainly ride it again...

In regards to updates for the patients or ones treated, those details can't always be revealed without consent of the patient. Even saying one was taken to a local hospital, notice they did not give a name/status/etc. HIPPA lawsuits are easy to start, and usually never end well for those providing care. Many times the violations are not actual neglect, but acidental or unintentional. However, a violation is still a violation. Just know, one was treated on scene using BLS (Basic Life Saving) skills, and was released, so very VERY minor injuries. Another was taken to a local hospital, so as a medic to me that means they needed diagnostic proof of something that they suspect may have happened to that patient, or to finally rule out that it never happened, but covering their rears.

Neither patient sustained any injury that has caused severe harm, I can def. state that. Were there injuries and probably a pretty scary incident for those involved, oh I'm sure. However, everything that needed to happen to keep everyone safe post accident happened flawlessly and as quick as possible

• Like 7

I'm not an engineer, but I understand that sometimes very small flaws in the composition of metals can lead to failures ranging from simple malfunctions to catastrophes. As many as 30 years ago, I watched something like "That's Incredible," or some such show, where they talked about robots that existed even then, that could crawl about on things made out of metal, and alert on any cracks, stress or fatigue that could lead to collapse. Is this kind of thing done on rides, restraints, etc.? I'd be fascinated to know what kinds of meters/tools are used to test the metal (or even carbon or plastic) components of my favorite rides.

• Like 1

Not so much that as the way the news is delivered has changed. Every news organization should be going for the truth. There are a few places who have an ulterior motive when leaving out details or delivering the news with a slight slant (see FOX for a pro-conservative view and MSNBC as pro-liberal). But in reality, the news cycle has changed so so much. 10-20 years ago, you had a relatively long time to get information to the masses with all of the details. If a story broke at 10pm, you gave out some information and followed up the next morning on your morning news or at noon. Now, everyone is clamoring for details and a story needs to go up. Its the truth, but it may not be all of the details. The way you make it sound, is that the journalists are lazy. I can guarantee you that, that is false. Unless you have spent time in a newsroom, you have no idea how hard it is to get an official statement.

I dont disagree with this, but by this logic no one but a trained medical professional is equipped to offer up a medical evaluation. Even then, I would say the only person who can say something is broken, is a Dr looking at x-rays.

BUT I get it, its easy to comment on the ability of the news people for not having a full story or ruining parks because it fits what most on here want to think is that the media is full of people who are not smart, dont like the truth, and looking to scare people about the parks. Continue on with the news people bashing, I dont want to stand in yalls way.

I agree with much of what you said, particularly about news reporters being lazy. I think its the exact opposite, as news is so widely dispersed thru so many different mediums that every story is on a time crunch. Essentially every person walking around has the ability to be a news reporter. Many of us have cameras or video recorders built into our phone, twitter and instagram are often a fingertip away. If you want to be relevant, you have to stay in front of the "man on the street", in that rush, its much, much harder to be accurate, to back check and double check your leads. While technology has made many jobs easier, this is one case where it has made a professional's life more difficult.

• Like 3

See Pointbuzz for quick and easy answers, and an assessment from someones opinion I highly respect. Looks like the fitting up top came loose and detached, the cable didn't snap off, but moreover looks as if it came off and under a 60mph ride, whiplashed the ground.

And the one reporter that honestly has made me lose so much respect for the news...

• Like 5

From http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5926601

A nearby gift shop employee told a Register reporter he heard series of loud noises—he described them as bangs— then watched as the ride jolted to a stop.

One of the arms, the employee said, swung until gravity stopped it—normally, the ride is slowed down mechanically.

I suspect that that gift shop employee has found that they're suddenly no longer employed...

• Like 8

There won't be a state investigation.

http://on.wlwt.com/1nAehR7

I'm glad Cedar Point has announced that they will not reopen the ride until their own investigation is complete, because reopening it quickly would strongly reinforce a lot of irritating, widespread misconceptions that people have about amusement parks. The fact that the Department of Agriculture isn't conducting an investigation is surprising, though--this seems like exactly the sort of incident that they would investigate.

• Like 1

From my understanding the cable didn't "snap" but came disengaged from the upper locking mechanism.

Not sure what type was used on this ride but this type of failure will happen over time if not pro-active.

Perhaps a tether as a backup?

Along with the friction brakes after e-stop?....that I mentioned earlier in thread.

• Like 1

This thread is old news.

Absolutely not, especially when we don't even have official word yet as to the actual cause or a re-opening date.

This thread is old news.

Wut?

Perhaps you could fill us in on all the missing info since this is "old news".

troll.jpg

• Like 8

Friction brakes would not stop that train 60 to zero "that fast".

Think of a failure like this, at full cycle with that cable,....how many rotations do you think it would take to naturally stop??

The less the better for me.

Edit : A tether system on those cables and this thread wouldn't exist.

• Like 1