How to ride Magnum XL 200

I have been wondering for a long time how to ride Magnum at Cedar Point with out getting my thighs crushed. I would love the ride if the air time hills didn't require me to take an aspirin after riding it. Also I have a similar issue on Maverick but I developed a method. I usually push forward on the lap bar while riding Maverick so it doesn't squeeze my legs and cut off circulation to them. Any other tips for either of these rides would be great!!!

• Like 1

I remember this one time me and my dad were one train away from boarding Magnum and this guy, I kid not, thought he was going to ride the ride while sitting on top of the seat (the man weighed in at like 400 pounds, perhaps more) when he realized he wasn't going to fit.

• Like 1

If you're looking to avoid strong ejector airtime on Magnum, try sitting towards the back. You'll come out of your seat more on the first three drops (starting with the drop off the lift, of course--not the drop after the station, haha.) Unless the trim brakes are turned off, it will be a tamer ride on the rest of the hills.

Truthfully, though... As one of Magnum's biggest fans, I have to admit that looking past the restraints at times is part of the experience of riding the ride. Anymore, I've ridden it so much that I don't notice it that much. I do remember my first few times riding it hurting like crazy, though. I think you just kinda get used to it after a while.

Also, on the note of Magnum being designed by hand instead of by computer... Where do you think the computers learned how to do the calculations? And why are Schwarzkopfs from the same time period or earlier significantly smoother? :)

For being the last Arrow welded on site 25 years old, and sinking, Magnum has held up incredibly well.

There is also no better queue to be in late in the day during the first 5-8 years Magnum was around. The wave, "Tastes Great, Less Filling!", or the occasional beach ball going through the crowd was as much fun as the ride itself.

• Like 9

Like Devan said, Maggie got a new PLC this past offseason.

B&M actually came in from what I heard and was responsible for the new system.

From what I've heard, the airtime hills toward the end of the ride are much more tolerable than in years past.

Rode it for the first time this year, one of the rides being in 1-1. Very painful.

If that statement holds true, I would have left on a stretcher and that's no lie.

• Like 1

Did I read this right?

In essence, "How do I avoid getting airtime?"

Really?

Terp goes off muttering to himself (Lord help the guy if he ever rides Lightning Run, Steel Force, El Toro, Bizarro at SFNE....

No, in essence, "how do I avoid getting my thighs destroyed?"

I honestly hated Magnum the last time I rode it. It really did hurt. And was not fun, at all.

• Like 1

Magnum is one ride that I ride every time I visit CP as I want to love it as much as everyone else does. I like the ejector air; the slamming into the lapbar, not so much.

Last year I tried different seats and rows and all seemed equally painful. This year, I paid closer attention and tried a non-wheel seat. It was less painful and I was able to enjoy the ride more.

Maybe that, along with the recent changes listed above will help you?

I did not hear the B&M deal, someone I know personally was involved in setting it up, I'll talk to him in regard to it. I figured he did everything considering his involvement.

I heard this on CPFansite, not sure how credible it is.

Paging Hydra...