Future Fountain Upgrades?

thedevariouseffect

When I first started working for the Park during the Taft era back in 1972, they played French accordion and classical

music on International Street. Each other themed area also featured their own unique music. River Town was country, HB had cartoon music, Coney Island (now Coney Mall) had ragtime music from the early 1900's, Oktoberfest had German.

• Like 14

It has been worse. When I first entered the park on opening day, 2009, and they had "American Woman" by the Guess Who blaring over the speakers so loud that the speakers rattled, I almost puked. Great song... but NOT for amusemet park ambiance. It kept getting worse, too; like someone had taken the soul away from the park. While waiting in line for the then-new Diamondback, the beauty of the spring day kept getting shot down by out-of-place rock "classics" like "Round and Round" by Ratt, "Girls Girls Girls" by Mötley Crüe, and worst of all, the psychotic, sad strains of "Hey You" by Pink Floyd, which was the soundtrack that moment for... the Kid's area! It was very, very surreal to me to hear "..and the worms ate into his brain..." while watching unhappy-looking people meander through the bright, colorful landscape of that area of the park. I was not impressed. It was just not right at all.

• Like 7

Guest dtk1376

^^ LOL... my little girl likes the music over there so I guess they hit their demographic well, just not much cross-over to the older generations. I think it would be nice to have music themed to each area of the park, I bet the theme music for Action Zone would be pretty cool.

• Like 2

I guess it could be worse...how about Kids Bop childrens versions of similar songs playing in PS. I jet through that area because its like listening to a demented music box while someone scrapes their nails down a chalk board.

2010, walking back to Diamondback through Planet Snoopy on my way to work, I heard the Kids Bop version of "Puff The Magic Dragon." Too much!

• Like 2

"Our" Royal Fountains really are world-class. They don't have to compete with other fountains; they have a charm and grace all their own. The lights play on the sky tones and hues almost magically (certainly by design). The only thing left to change is the music. Maroon 5 or Katey Perry are great for Action Zone or Coney Mall; it can fit well in those areas. These magnificent dances of water and light, however, demand something that is very different - as far removed from the "day-to-day" ambience you can get at a shopping mall, with charm and elegance that matches the artistic wizardry of the visual presentation.

Epic+Sunset.png

• Like 11

So here's my thoughts as of today:

1. Black bottom would hide the wires, and plus to me would make it a deeper, more natural lake kind of look. The wires hidden also, but looking at the videos from CW, the color of the water with the dark bottom looks to keep the illumination on the streams of water, etc. not flood the entire pool. If we kept it clear and blue, ok, but I do dig the dark look here. I think it'd also get rid of alot of bright glare in the front of the park too when looking across the fountains, just making it a bit more peaceful. But to each their own.

canada_wonderland_037.jpg?imgmax=1280

2. Music with the fountains needs to be a plus. It's a cool show, and honestly is a nifty little thing to add. I hate to be that guy, but the nostalgia "bring International music back" deal is dead in the water (no pun intended). If you haven't seen Oktoberfest with the Orange Chicken & Pizza Festhaus, or Cinnabon Chili restaurants, it's gone. The parks dropped it, it's over, it's done with. It's the same as the old Beast being fantastic like we all discussed a month or so ago. It's just nostalgia kicking in making you believe it to be great. I'd love the old atmosphere back too, but honesty, it doesn't matter to me, nor does it change my mood when I walk past the fountains to Tower. I'd also rather hear some neat current music or music timed to a show like CW's Starlight in the area, I know the words, the beats, etc. If you or I want to listen to German music down the German side of IS, pop out your Mp3 player and listen to some Du Hast or something. But seriously check out these shows and tell me you wouldn't love to sit back late at night on a midnight close and watch this and relax or something. The CW & KD shows are awesome.

For HAUNT??? Common guys you'd rather have just plain shoot up in the air fountains in red?

Now here for this too..I know y'all are somewhat anti Luminosity at the park, and trust me I get it and I don't think KI is the perfect demographic for it completely. However, a bit of upbeat, dance ish music at night I think with the fountains would be cool to watch this kind of show, plus it's neat music, and just..awesome. I'd like to see some night time experiences in the park versus, hey it's 2200, fireworks, "All rides and attractions are now closed, have a safe trip home, good night" spiel and walk out and go home. With CP's Luminosity, you get a show, and a dance if you want, and a fun way to end the night so your 1000-2200 or later is to enjoy everything in the park, after that, it's unwind, have fun, and make memories.

After seeing all that, I'd take an upgrade, it looks awesome, and I think KI would be awesome with new fountains after the bit of new paint on International Street. Plus a cool nighttime show at the fountains on the way out or at dusk, maybe a few times during the day too? Sweet. I'll take a Bellagio deal in Ohio with no problems.

• Like 3

1. Maybe it is just the photo, but the black base for that fountain looks like lake water.

2. It is safe to say that International Street needs a whole revamp. I feel like some one tried to mash Germany, Spain, France, and Cedar Point in one spot. I would not mind to see some Roman columns at each corner of the fountains, and a nice classical pick me up in the whole section, especially in the music department.

During my trip to Las Vegas back in 2002, I was impressed by the fountains at the Bellagio Hotel and the computerized show that they put on each night. The Fountains of Bellagio are one of the major draws on the Las Vegas Strip, along with the Pirate Show on the fountains in front of the Treasure Island Hotel. What about if Kings Island was to put on a show like the Fountains of Bellagio during the evening, with the water jets of the fountain being computerized, along with a great light show and be synced to a featured song? Something like the Fountains of Bellagio show with Andrea Bocolli and Sarah Brightman - Con Te Partiro (Time To Say Goodbye) being played in the background as the fountains put on a fantastic show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv82caMZaJA

Also, during the Fourth of July holiday weekend, the Park can put on a patriotic show like the Fountains of Bellagio did with Lee Greenwood's, God Bless the USA, decked out in red, white, and blue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUCid_dW_8o

• Like 2

I think it would be pretty neat if the fountains/international street played a lot of prestigious-sounding music or even WindSeeker-type Harry Potter songs instead of the pop hits to create more of a magical feeling. I think they might already do this to some extent though.

• Like 5

1. Maybe it is just the photo, but the black base for that fountain looks like lake water.

2. It is safe to say that International Street needs a whole revamp. I feel like some one tried to mash Germany, Spain, France, and Cedar Point in one spot. I would not mind to see some Roman columns at each corner of the fountains, and a nice classical pick me up in the whole section, especially in the music department.

I've heard that I-Street is on deck for an upgrade. Only rumors, but I think we all agree that the area could use a hug. What kind of "improvements" could or would be made is also intriguing to think about.
  • Like 4

Well I know that on one of my recent visits, I noticed some rotting wood on one of the facades of the buildings. It was the building right next to the I-Street Skyline. At one point in time it was the Coasters gift shop. Not sure what they have in there now.

Count me in as the many who wish that the classical music would make a return to I-Street.

I have heard that tree removal for quite some time as well. I`d be fine with select removal, but not a total removal. There is a lot of shaded eating areas on I-Street.

The other area that could use an upgrade is Tower Gardens. This is (rather was) a very nice relaxing area of the park. It is now a large designated smoking area, which is a shame. The once flowing fountains in that area of the park look pathetic and as if they have not been cared for or touched in five to ten years. I could see that area getting a sprucing up as well. Heck, while we are at it, why not add a flat ride in back on the area that used to hold part of Salt Water Circus, where the Stars from Snoopy`s Starlight Spectacular used to reside. That stretch of the park always seems so empty,

• Like 5

For an I-Street revamp/touchup - How about a "World Showcase-esque" Nightly Illuminations type show....(of course there couldn't be fireworks)....maybe flame pots in the fountain. Building to building laser show. Marque lighting on the buildings that dances to music for a new dancing fountain/light show. Textured lighting from the buildings to the walkways on the street. How about a revamp of the International Restaurant with a more gourmet menu, and elevator (or is there an elevator there?)

• Like 1

I've heard that I-Street is on deck for an upgrade. Only rumors, but I think we all agree that the area could use a hug. What kind of "improvements" could or would be made is also intriguing to think about.

a staff person to replace burnt-out light bulbs.

• Like 8

I still see hope of International Street becoming what it once was. A lot of the old European stuff is still there, such as LaRosa's, the statue of Don Quixote near the glass blower shop, the European architecture of the buildings, the Eiffel Tower. True, the Munchen Café is gone, however it is now the home of a pretzel stand, and pretzels are a Bavarian food. The Kahn's Sausage Kitchen, in the Swiss building near the entrance, is now the home of Skyline, which is Greek. Although Greek food is now being served in a Swiss building, Greece is a European country, so I guess it fits this section of the park. As for the fountain show like at Canada's Wonderland, I know I objected to it before, but I say it would seem like a cool addition. The only issue with it are the search lights and lasers used in the show. It could cause seizures. I am hopeful that the park is in planning and preparation for renovating International Street, it really needs attention. The biggest thing that must be worked on are the lights on the roofs of the buildings, as mentioned above. Many of the strands have not worked for a few seasons and need to be replaced.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have been checking the weather camera on top of the entrance facing International Street, and it doesn't look like much has changed. The new Starbucks in the Swiss building still has its ThrillSeeker storefront color scheme, and from the look of it, the Spanish building where Sweet Spot will be located still looks the same. However, I am able to tell that something is happening inside the buildings. I'm sure the exterior work will soon follow, but it might not be major changes, maybe just some new paint. It is very nice and exciting to see the new Starbucks get its old Alpine lodge look to it. There is no doubt it will be different while walking down the walkway, but I believe that it will be very similar.

I personally wouldn't want to see a bridge while I sit and eat my Skyline, besides it would be a traffic jam with everyone standing on it hanging around with people bumping into each other trying to get by. Anyways, I just want to ice skate on the fountain again, other than that I could care some. JR... who is excited for new action in Planet Snoopy!

• Like 3

A bridge works for Canada's Wonderland over the fountain. Now, it isn't located in the middle (which would be nice to connect two sections) but it's located closer to the mountain. Still helpful with traffic flow, instead of making guests walk all the way around he mountain to get to the other side.

• Like 3