Will Diamondback always be the tallest at KI?

skylar.heizer

I think we will see something taller at KI in the next 10 years (coaster wise). Hopefully not something like 250ft, just barely breaking the record. Hopefully more like 300+ft. Also wouldn't mind it being from a different company other than B&M. Love the company, just would like to see something from a different company.

• Like 2

Great question, OP. I'm setting the over/under at 15 years. And I think that may even be too low. I just think that the next 2/3 major coasters they go with are going to fill other niches besides height and speed. But I obviously could be wrong.

If anything, KI is a record breaking park. It will want something new or record breaking. A news article said that maybe amusement parks are reaching it's peak dealing with record breaking. Personally I would like them to have a Maverick type ride over the lake in Octoberfest area removing Viking Fury or moving it to another section of the park. Or just a total revamp section of Oktoberfest bring back some old favorite rides like Flying Shoes or The spinning barrel ride (can't remember the actual names I'm sure someone will say something). It would be nice to bring back a classic family style ride.

• Like 3

You haven't been there in recent years, it has gotten MUCH better. Everything now is down to a science. Only downtime now is generally weather related or this years big big issue but noone could prevent that. But in the past few years it's finally had more uptime than downtime moiving people.

Unless of course your one week to hit the point is just after a water main break that also just happens to be the weekend TTD was down all weekend. I'll agree it has gotten much better... but still seems like it can go down if the ride op sneezes on the panel.

if I had the choice between a gig or Maverick I would go with Maverick

Agree 100 percent. But I would love to see a giga at KI in the next 10 years and I think we will. I see a giga as a 2019 project or a 2024 project if they they continue to get new coasters every 5 years.
  • Like 1

The only thing KI is truly lacking with coasters is a giga and a stand-up, right? And I don't see them going down the stand-up route anytime soon..

Agreed. I don't forsee KI going down the route with a stand-up coaster anytime soon, if ever. Last new B&M installation of a stand-up was Georgia Scorcher at SFoG in 1999. All others since then have been ones relocated within the Six Flags chain which I've both ridden at their new parks, Apocalypse at SFAm (former Iron Wolf at SFGAm) and Green Lantern at NJFTP (former Chang at SFKK). I never got to ride King Cobra when it was at Kings Island, but I did ride Shockwave at Kings Dominion earlier in the month. Safe to say I prefer B&M stand-ups more than TOGO. Stand-Up coasters are still offered by B&M per their website so it could happen, but given the amount of installs I wouldn't hold my breath.

Giga...I would love for Kings Island to have one of these. Millennium Force and Intimidator 305 are both in my Top 5, with a slight preference to I-305. I would love for KI to have something identical to Intamin's latter installation, but I'm pretty sure that Cedar Fair and Intamin have already burned bridges permanently- Shoot the Rapids is a good example of why. I haven't been on Leviathan so I'm not sure if it delivers airtime in spades like Diamondback but given my experiences with B&M I would be satisfied with a giga made by them.

I wouldn't mind an Intamin Blitz Coaster (Maverick) but again for reasons specified above, I don't think it will ever happen.

• Like 4

I don't know, I just don't see a giga happening within 15 years of a hyper. Not enough variety among the 2 through they eyes of the layperson IMO. My prediction is that they'd put in at least a couple more niche coasters before adding a hyper; maybe a floorless or wing or dive or something like that. Then again if CF keeps up their trend of going with B&M for major coaster projects, I guess I could see a hyper being installed 1 or 2 major coasters from now. But things can and likely will change over time, especially in such a wide time frame in this industry.

Looks like I'm basically saying that I have absolutely no idea what to predict, which is why I think this is a great topic.

• Like 1

I don't know, I just don't see a giga happening within 15 years of a hyper. Not enough variety among the 2 through they eyes of the layperson IMO. My prediction is that they'd put in at least a couple more niche coasters before adding a hyper; maybe a floorless or wing or dive or something like that. Then again if CF keeps up their trend of going with B&M for major coaster projects, I guess I could see a hyper being installed 1 or 2 major coasters from now. But things can and likely will change over time, especially in such a wide time frame in this industry.

Looks like I'm basically saying that I have absolutely no idea what to predict, which is why I think this is a great topic.

Carowinds is about to get a giga, and Intimidator was built in what...2009, 2010?

• Like 1

Intimidator was built in 2010.

I think a Mack Rides launch coaster like Helix or Blue Fire would be a good addition to Kings Island. In fact, I think that one of those would be more likely than a giga in the coming years. It would also be a good alternative to an Intamin Blitz like Maverick because we all know about how Cedar Fair feels about Intamin nowadays.