Will Diamondback always be the tallest at KI?

skylar.heizer

Honestly, I would say so. Yes they are different, but in the simplest form they just are smaller versions of each other- with each individual ride appealing to a different taste.

And I just talked myself into understanding what you are saying. Different tastes are appealed to on different rides because each ride is unique in it's own way. Gotcha! :)

I would say that there are categories and major variations that can help differentiate things, (Ex. woodies, inverts, stand-up, sitdown etc...) but yes all coasters are in fact coasters.

I wouldn't compare WWC to Banshee though, as water rides aren't coasters. However they are both rides, so at the very central core they are basically the same concept. Get on, get off, have fun in the process :)

Geez... I've been back at school for like 6 hours and I'm already getting philosophical and over-analyzing things.

• Like 4

I disagree with the whole ridership would be killed on Diamondback if a Giga were added. As Terp stated: Two Words: Canada's Wonderland.

Leviathan and Behemoth both have comparable lines. Diamondback and the possible Giga would offer different experiences most likely. It's too early to judge a future project that hasn't even been announced nor hinted at.

• Like 1

Personally IF we ever get a giga hopefully it's not made by B&M. I feel like it would kill ridership of Diamondback. Think about it the two coasters are from the same manufacturer. Only difference being one is 100ft taller and about 10mph faster.

Given B&M's track record of Reliability and Capacity over pushing the issue, what more can they really do with another 100ft that they can't, and didn't do with Diamondback. While I'm sure Leviathan and Fury are/will be great rides. They just kind of make the hyper coasters in their respective parks redundant. Thoughts?

Let me guess...Intamin fanboy?
Actually no lol Intamin's Safety record scares the bejeebies out of me every time I ride one. But that also adds to the adrenaline rush, granted not in the way the manufacture intended.

Also I'm looking at it more from an average park goers point of view. We may know that the Hypers are more airtime based and the Giga's are based on raw speed but does the GP? Probably not they're just gonna see what I said in my first post.

You also might want to see Cedar Point on that issue. Both Millennium Force and Magnum get hefty lines through coexisting.

Magnum has been a walk on every time I have been to Cedar Point after Millennium Force was built. The frist time I went to Cedar Point the year after Rator was built I waited hour and a half. Both give different rides one is speed and the other is hills.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread. I've been thinking about this recently- will Diamondback be stay the tallest coaster at KI? Sure we might get a giga but after that then what? I'd love to see KI have multiple coasters exceeding 200ft but other than a giga, I really don't see anything else topping Diamondback. Thoughts?

2 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

Diamondback is coming up on 10 years in 2019 as being the tallest, fastest, and meanest coaster at KI. I say it's about time we should get something taller and faster than Diamondback.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do you think we'll ever get more coasters over 200+ft besides possibly a giga?

I think the idea of a coaster at Kings Island taller than Diamondback BESIDES the seemingly inevitable future Giga is possible, but unlikely as most of the coaster styles that have broken the 200'+ barrier KI doesn't already have don't seem like rides Cedar Fair would build for Kings Island:

-Strata Coaster: Only built by Intamin, whom CF hasn't done anything with since 2010, and these are known for reliability issues.

-Impulse Coaster: Intamin again...also I can't recall if one of these has been built recently or not, and the low capacity could be a issue.

-Dive Coaster: Not likely due to Cedar Point's Valravn still being very new. Maybe in the later 2020's when Valravn is no longer as big a draw for Cedar Point?

-Wooden Coaster: Traditional is out of the question for sure, given how bad SOB came out, and a Intamin woodie would likely break the bank. A RMC topper track coaster is possible, but we did just get Mystic Timbers so KI probably won't be looking at more "wood" anytime soon...

-4th Dimension Coaster: These can break the 200' mark and one is actually BIGGER than Diamondback, but only 3 have been built and I assume reliability is a concern due to all the moving parts on the trains. Also seems like a very expensive coaster model. Though if KI actually built one, they look incredibly cool and reviews of X2 @ SFMM have been very positive.

-Infinity Coaster: Shockingly, there is one in Europe over 240 feet tall, with a inversion. However I'd bet there would be major capacity issues with the small trains and The Smiler which had a recent accident is this model as well, and that may push Cedar Fair away.

-PolerCoaster: As far as I know none have even been built yet, so this is completely untested at this point. I'd think Cedar Fair would wait and see how the one being built in Florida goes first, before adding these to their parks.

And that seems pretty much like most of the current models of coaster that KI could add that break 200', besides the hyper and giga coasters. And to be honest once Kings Island gets a Giga coaster, there isn't much else the park would really "need" (Heck IMO the park is fine ATM even pre-Giga) coaster-wise. I could see a B&M Wing or Floorless in the next decade or so, but those are not likely to go over 200', or a multi-launch terrain coaster or Wild Mouse, which also wouldn't break 200' (A 200'+ Wild Mouse would be ridiculous though in a crazy way).

In short: While it's possible, other than a Giga, I don't see Kings Island building more coasters taller than Diamondback in the next decade or so.

• Like 5

@McSalsa 

I completely agree with you. I haven't made it shy on here that I've always wanted a dive coaster to come to the park one day per personal preference. I'm really surprised that there aren't more dive machines out there in the industry, especially given the fact that they're compact, tall, and are really popular with the GP. I feel like if the park got a dive machine, enthusiasts and the GP would be pretty tied over for a couple years- however, the same could be said for any park. I know that's probably the last possible coaster we'll ever get but it doesn't hurt to hope!

I'd like a dive coaster, but Valravn is such a boring ride to me, it would have to be something like Sheikra, which uses B&Ms old OTSRs rather than the vests, also if it did, not sure if possible with the old restraints but I'd go for something like Valkyria at Liseberg, where it focuses more towards the rolls and doesn't have the really pointless (other than for capacity) MCBR and second drop. I'm the type of guy that's willing to sacrifice a little bit of capacity for a better ride, I think it would fit really well in X-base, but I'd personally rather go for a coaster like Smiler, I've heard nothing but positive things from it, and the capacity is great when you consider it as a Euro Fighter type ride, also it looks far more thrilling!

Valkyria:

For those who have never seen a Smiler POV:

• Like 2

I guess I'm confused as to why everyone thinks a Giga is "inevitable." Has there been any substantial information to suggest this? Or just wishful thinking? 

Personally I see Diamondback as the tallest coaster at the park for a while. There's probably a good 20-25 other things that should come before a Giga. 

• Like 2

I'd say a Giga is inevitable.

I was fully on board for Misty, actually once I rode Renegade at Valleyfair, something similar to Misty is pretty much exactly what i wanted and felt like KI needed for their next coaster install.  KI's last handful of installs, Diamondback, Banshee & Firehawk all played to the thrill seeker side of the revenue equation.  It had been a while since KI added that 48" coaster that would serve as a good inbetween coaster for both the 7 year old kid who hadn't grown into Diamondback or Banshee yet, as well as their parents and "chicken" older siblings that didn't want to experience something so tall, or so many inversions (or in the often heard complaints about The Beast and The Racers..."too rough").  Renegade absolutely blew both myself and my then 7 year old son away on our trip there.  I think something similar to Firechaser express would have been a good add, something in the 44" height restriction range that the entire family could enjoy.  KI has Woodstock Express and Flying Ace Arial Chase, I still think that lineup could be expanded for a park that caters largely to families.

With the addition of Misty, I now feel like KI's biggest hole is a Giga.  Cedar Point, Carowinds, CW and Kings Dominion all have a giga, KI as one of their higher revenue generating parks is screaming to potential thrill seekers... "wait and visit me some other time when we get something as tall as Millennium Force".  They've seemingly shown to be give good return on investments for Cedar Fair as the additions in both Canada and the Carolinas have shown.  With B&M coming in with glowing remarks on their gigas, KI will eventually get the "best of the bunch".

As far as other rides reaching or exceeding Diamondback, I think that is inevitable as well.  "Ever" is a really long time, but even if I just narrow it down to my children's coaster riding lifetime (they are 1, 5 & 9 today and lets say they are riding into their 50s, so another 50 years) we are looking at another 10 or more additional or different coasters at KI.  If dimondback can last that long (?), what is to prevent them from adding a 200'+ floorless, a 200'+ dive coaster, a 200'+ wing coaster, another try at a 200'+ woodie.  I think those versions of coasters are all likely over the next 50 years of KI's history (though perhaps not all topping the 200 foot mark).  Throw in rollercoaster types not yet invented or made popular, or B&M expanding to the 400' mark comfortably.  Even if you ignore what I think is the inevitable Giga coming in the next 3-5 years, I think its highly doubtful that nothing else will challenge Diamondback's height over its lifetime at KI.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Something will go taller sooner then later. Diamondback is now a Ki classic. It stays forever.

Agreed, Parks will eventually build something bigger, I asked myself this question, "will TTD remain the tallest ride at CP," And I reasoned no, because Eventually, CP is going to build a 500ft+ coaster and who knows somewhere down the future a 600ft+, because they have always been known to want to go bigger and faster, You can see the same thing in companies they always want to improve the products and we should expect the same from KI, to eventually get a bigger coaster. At the current state, coasters will keep on getting bigger since there isn't really a "height cap/" limit for them, and parks love setting records for coasters. People always want bigger and better, So again to state my point Diamondback WILL not remain the tallest coaster in the park. For example, it's like saying Windows 10 is going to be the final OS that Windows will make, Eventually one way or the other there is going to be an upgrade or a new better system. So eventually there will be a coaster at KI that is taller than Diamondback.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be taller? I think the answer to that is no doubt. Think of how far roller coasters have come in your lifetime. I'm 36, and can say that when Vortex was built, it was breathtaking. Over 30 years, it's become one of those coasters that people love still because it is what it is, but I can tell you that anyone born after 1997 would laugh at that coaster. Ten more years go by, and you have Diamondback. All the while, CP has been going taller and taller and taller. When they built top thrill I remember saying "No way that's going to last, the stresses of supporting itself alone are insane" 

In another 10 years, these whacky engineers may be able to figure out to build something that makes current standards Giga's look like child's play. And by that time, us old folks will still covet our Vortex, and still be impressed by our Diamondback, and look at this 525 foot 87 degree drop, 145 mph coaster, and just shake our heads going "how did we get here?"

• Like 2