Will Diamondback always be the tallest at KI?

skylar.heizer

Kings Island will get bigger coasters and other massive attractions. It depends on what the park's General Manager wants and what Corporate wants.

Really?

I would HOPE it depends, at least in part, on what the target market wants.

I thought Dick Kinzel retired.

By Corporate, that means Matt Ouimet, Rob Decker and other executives.

I think for crowd distribution reasons, the next big coaster will go either in X base, or at least back in that corner of the park. Right now you have Banshee drawing people to the front left corner and Diamondback drawing people over to the right side of the park. Its better to distribute the guests throughout all areas of the park and that back right corner, even with Vortex and WindSeeker there, doesn't seem as crowded. Now what type of coaster, I think the giga is probably next on the agenda and would would be a good change of pace for that area of the park. A wing coaster is always possible, but less likely imo. A new woodie isn't out of the question, but when was the last time Cedar Fair built a woodie? Now if they decide to do entrance gate interaction like they appear to be doing at some parks now, anything is possible.

• Like 1

I think for crowd distribution reasons, the next big coaster will go either in X base, or at least back in that corner of the park. Right now you have Banshee drawing people to the front left corner and Diamondback drawing people over to the right side of the park. Its better to distribute the guests throughout all areas of the park and that back right corner, even with Vortex and WindSeeker there, doesn't seem as crowded. Now what type of coaster, I think the giga is probably next on the agenda and would would be a good change of pace for that area of the park. A wing coaster is always possible, but less likely imo. A new woodie isn't out of the question, but when was the last time Cedar Fair built a woodie? Now if they decide to do entrance gate interaction like they appear to be doing at some parks now, anything is possible.

Crowd distributions.

Just yesterday, I listened to a new podcast with famed Disney Legend and leading Imagineer Tony Baxter. When he and his team designed Indiana Jones Adventure at Disneyland, they were told in no uncertain terms that it would go in Tomorrowland. It had to! Crowd distributions!

Imagineers re-formatted the concept to fit Frontierland as a compromise, until they came up with that genius idea of the quarter-mile themed queue to lead out to showbuilding beyond the park's berm. Fun fact!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A new woodie isn't out of the question, but when was the last time Cedar Fair built a woodie?

Gold Striker opened at California's Great America in 2013.
I wonder if a GCI is more likely at the largest CF parks now that GCI has shown that they are willing to make a coaster large enough for 3 trains. The Son survived with 2 trains but it was THE SON. It wasn't exactly a fan favorite.

As long as The Beast is popular, (don't see that changing) and barring some kind of fire or disaster it probably will never be removed. Wooden coasters have an unlimited life if properly maintained. Look at Kennywood. Steel coasters on the other hand are often hit harder with the concept of obsolescence, and the steel simply gets fatigued with age and use. Space Mountain in WDW was completely re-tracked not too long ago. How many other steelies would get that treatment? Why not a woodie, just curious?

• Like 1

Never say never. All it takes is a company to make an investment (via loan) that it believes will make the park more profitable to sell. Then do so with all loans going with the property or paid off plus a handsome increase for the original owner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^ I said PROBABLY never as long as it was popular and barring a fire or disaster. In other words, it is not impossible for it to be voluntarily removed, but very unlikely. You seem to like to ignore the message of my posts, and instead pick at them.

Honestly I never look at who is posting and think "hmm I'm going to pick on this one poster." Plus this is the first time I noticed you, sorry. Instead I just added more fuel for thought. Nothing more. Many apologies if you think I'm picking on you. Next time why don't you PM me so as not to clutter the boards with this silliness.

My original point was this about The Beast or any ride. We are only one bad owner or ownership group away from them making some very terrible terrible decisions.

• Like 2

No hard feelings. Of course, bad management can result in poor choices in any business. Apple could be bankrupt in 10 years; no one knows. My point was directed at KI Fanatic who alluded to the end of The Beast, which I took to mean "when it reaches the end of it's life cycle." The Beast has the potential for a pretty much unlimited life because woodies are rebuilt slowly over time. The Beast seems to be about as popular as when it was built so I don't see people suddenly not liking The Beast. There can always be what ifs or exceptions, but I think it would just be a waste of time to mention all of them.

• Like 2

Personally, no, I don't think Diamondback will always be the tallest at Kings Island. The direction Cedar Fair is taking is one that shows a significant balance between top-notch roller coasters and family friendly fun. On one side, you have Carowinds, who will be building Fury 325, which will be the world's tallest and fastest non-launched roller coaster. One the other hand, you have parks like Cedar Point and Valleyfair who just this year have added several family rides such as Northern Lights and Pipe Scream. Seeing that Kings Island just received Banshee, I think it might be 5-7 years until we see our next big coaster... but when we do I suspect that it will be a giga, and it will hopefully be one of the best, if not the best giga out there.

• Like 1

Assuming many, many things:

* Perhaps most significantly, that something called Cedar Fair still owns Kings Island.

* That the national economy is such that people can afford to and do patronize parks like Kings Island.

* That cash or financing is available for such an investment.

* That steel, labor and logistics for such an investment can be had.

* That no disaster or other unforeseen event has eliminated the park and/or the surrounding area.

* That roller coasters are still a major draw to parks.

* That even if they are, that a giga is the best investment in the eyes of the park's owner, operator and/or managers.

* That such coasters are available for purchase.

* That such a coaster can be legally built in the park.

* That such a coaster can be physically built in the park (the New Madrid fault may have caused such an earthquake that the site may not be habitable or buildable).

I could go on for hours, but, as can be seen, for some reason I have experience in writing these types of provisos.

• Like 4

Personally IF we ever get a giga hopefully it's not made by B&M. I feel like it would kill ridership of Diamondback. Think about it the two coasters are from the same manufacturer. Only difference being one is 100ft taller and about 10mph faster.

Given B&M's track record of Reliability and Capacity over pushing the issue, what more can they really do with another 100ft that they can't, and didn't do with Diamondback. While I'm sure Leviathan and Fury are/will be great rides. They just kind of make the hyper coasters in their respective parks redundant. Thoughts?

Personally IF we ever get a giga hopefully it's not made by B&M. I feel like it would kill ridership of Diamondback. Think about it the two coasters are from the same manufacturer. Only difference being one is 100ft taller and about 10mph faster.

Given B&M's track record of Reliability and Capacity over pushing the issue, what more can they really do with another 100ft that they can't, and didn't do with Diamondback. While I'm sure Leviathan and Fury are/will be great rides. They just kind of make the hyper coasters in their respective parks redundant. Thoughts?

Let me guess...Intamin fanboy?

Think of Millie..speed speed speed speed. Airtime is still present, but speed and rapid changes in height occur. Plus nice sweeping turns and overbanks.

Mega coasters by B&M are usually airtime machines..usually

Gigas from B&M so far seem to be about raw speed the whole ride, Fury does have a few new elements within thought that I haven't seen on any Giga (the neat Horseshoe turn to start). But regardless contains large overbanked sweeping turns that keeps speed almost the whole ride, and that seems to be the design process about them.

Edit: Also don't knock what you haven't tried..I remember thinking Maverick was going to be a lame coaster..small hill, just a bit fast, big whoop. Was I surprised. Same with Montu, figured it'd be another Werner Stengel invert cookie cutter from B&M, but it's still my #1 invert.

• Like 2