Six Flags Great Adventure 7/10/14

Ride On_17

So I finally got around to making this trip report. Our friend who works at the park once again was able to get us free tickets so we (my parents and I) were very thankful. We decided on this day, Thursday the 10th, since the weather looked decent. It wasn't supposed to be too hot and it was supposed to rain/storm in the morning so we hoped this might hold off some of the crowds like in previous years. We sure were right! It ended up being a perfect day.

We arrived at the park a little after opening and headed straight for El Toro. No line at all. I wanted to ride in the back and got right on within a few minutes. It was such a perfect way to start the day, and the coaster was just as crazy intense as I remembered it. There really is no other coaster like it (as far as I've experienced) when it comes to its intensity. It literally leaves you breathless and speechless. I wanted to go on it again, so this time we rode in the front. I definitely like the back a lot better. In the front, there are only a few "OMG!!!" airtime moments, unlike the back where it's like this constantly. Plus the first drop was disappointing. Yes, it's fun just hanging over the crest but you don't get the insane negative Gs like you do in the back. Still fun though.

Next it was finally time to try out Zumanjaro! Thankfully it had opened the week before, so I was very excited to ride it. It seemed amazing and I knew I would love it. First off, I love how you can hear the people screaming while you're still pretty far away from it. This section of the park is relatively quiet so you can hear the screaming coming from the ride really well. It adds to the excitement as you make the long trek back to the ride entrance. I do hope the park adds more to this area, since right now there's just Kingda Ka and Zumanjaro, as well as a kids water/spray park thing. For having to walk such a long way to get to either of these 2 rides, it's too bad there isn't more to do. Yet.

So finally we made it to the entrance. Then you have to keep on walking a ways until you reach the covered queue area. It was sad walking along where Rolling Thunder used to be. I'm still mad they took it out, especially since it wasn't even immediately replaced with anything. Anyway, in total we waited between 1 to 1 1/2 hours to ride, but it was worth it. There was one girl who passed out in line ahead of us, so that was pretty scary. Even though it wasn't too hot, she just probably wasn't drinking water. I was really impressed with how quickly the park took action. Within several minutes, the park's ambulance/EMT was at the scene. Thankfully the girl was alright but they took her away, probably just to be safe and to let her rest and have her get some water. The park did an amazing job being quick to the scene.

It was such a pain how Zumanjaro and Kingda Ka can't run at the same time, since that means lines for both rides would be lengthened substantially. These already poor capacity rides would have even worse capacity. But there's nothing that can be done about it, so you just have to be patient. Kingda Ka runs 2 trains and then Zumanjaro completes a cycle. Repeat.

Eventually it was our turn to ride. An employee divides people to go into 3 separate little waiting areas, one for each of the 3 ride cars. We got assigned to the far car (if you're looking at the front of Kingda Ka, the car farthest to the right). And it worked out that I was able to get the far outer end seat! The seats and restraints are very comfortable. Unlike some other Drop Towers, the seats don't tilt forward slightly, although I sort of wish they did. That adds to the thrill. But the restraints give you a lot of freedom and comfort.

You start by slowly lifting up out of the load area. You continue on up, gradually increasing height. It was so funny listening to all the others rides. People really start to freak out the higher the ride goes and it's so funny to hear. The suspense keeps building as you climb higher and higher, an amazing view unfolding in front of you. You can see the entire park, as well as the beautiful forests that surround the park. It truly is breathtaking.

I also thought it was cool looking to my left and seeing the green track of Kingda Ka. It is very cool being attached to the coaster. Then as you start to reach the top, the ride cars slow down a lot. So much that it feels like you have completely stopped unless you look to your side and see that you are still moving slightly up in relation to the coaster track. This is the point when everyone really freaks out, since by now everyone know we have almost stopped. Unlike the S&S Drop Towers, you don't fall/click into place. You just come to a gentle stop and hang there, waiting. The suspense is amazing, since you are so high up and have time to realize that in a few seconds, you're going to come plummeting back down to the ground. Suddenly your stomach lifts up into your throat as the cars are released and plummet down. You experience true weightlessness and it is such an incredible feeling. Now here is what is so cool about this ride. You continue to gain speed as you descend the tower, and the brakes don't slow you until you are precariously close to the ground. Just when you feel you can't get possibly faster and you're going to crash into the Earth at 90 miles per hour, you are pushed into your seat as the brakes smoothly glide you to a crawl to lower you back into the station. This ride is a pure adrenaline rush and I'd wait hours and hours for it. I think it would be a cool idea if that ride had on-ride video cameras that you could purchase the video, or at least a regular camera. But oh well. The ride experience itself is amazing.

I had hoped to ride Kingda Ka next, but unfortunately it was down. So we were starting to get hungry and decided to get something in the food court just outside of the entrance to the Golden Kingdom. We got chicken tenders, fries, and shakes. It felt good to sit down and relax for a little before moving on. Before riding something too crazy yet, we decided to try the Parachute Training Center. We hadn't gone on it before and I wanted to try it. Only waited a few minutes, but my mom and I had to split up since there's a weight limit on the ride, and the 2 of us together exceeded it. It was a nice view from the top but it's such a short ride. Relaxing, though. Plus our ride op was fun. She was happy and gave everyone high fives before they rode.

To continue on with the gentler rides, we went to the Big Wheel. The line was pretty slow and we ended up waiting 20-30 minutes for it. But it was nice having a long ride on it to enjoy the view of the park.

Following this, I really wanted to try the Dark Knight Coaster. I had never been on it and wanted to experience it. I had heard mixed review about it so I was curious about trying it out for myself. We only waited about 5 minutes outside before going inside for the pre-show. I really enjoyed how it started, and it set up the atmosphere and theme. Why can't Cedar Fair have something as simple as this?????

Then for the actual ride itself, I was really impressed. I love indoor coasters, and I'll be honest: I'm jealous Great Adventure has 2. Granted I never liked Disaster Transport at Cedar Point, but since it's my home park, at least it was unique. Indoor coasters are so cool since they can surprise you with twists and hills and are unique to the other rides. Even though the Dark Knight Coaster isn't heavily themed, what it does have is pretty cool. Plus I'm a huge fan of Wild Mouse coasters. Every park should have one (*cough cough* Cedar Point). When we got back into the station, the group from the next pre show hadn't entered yet so instead of running empty trains, the ride ops offered for us to stay on to ride again. So of course we did! It was just as fun the 2nd time and it was awesome to be able to do that. If you get lucky and are able to ride again before the next group enters the station, do it.

Next it was time to try Batman: The Ride. I had never been on this coaster either. I know it's a generic clone like some other Six Flags rides but I've heard it's pretty intense and has been described like Raptor in 30 seconds. After waiting 5/10 minutes for the front row, I could see why. It may be short and compact, but it sure does pack a punch. It was fun and pretty intense, and I enjoyed it.

I wanted to ride Nitro next, and after a half hour wait we were in the front row. However, while waiting in line under the stairs going up to the station, somebody spit and thankfully most of it missed me, but a little bit landed on my head. I quickly looked up and saw someone pull their head back. That was frustrating. But I love this ride, and the view and experience from the front is great. My favorite part is either the first drop or the 2nd element of the ride, the hill that banks sharply at the top and dives down to the left. There's also a smaller one right before the helix. I love the sensation you get, since it is a combination of laterals and airtime.

Then 20 minutes later we were back on it, this time in the back row. I love the airtime you get in the back, especially the first drop. Plus Nitro doesn't have the rattle that so many never B&Ms have, even Diamondback. It's such a smooth coaster.

From here we were going to take the cable cars over to Bizarro, but they were down. We walked over and only waited about 5 minutes for the front. This ride was a little bumpier than I remembered but it was still fun. I like floorless coasters and this is a great one.

Thankfully I saw that Kingda Ka was running, so we decided to head to it. After the long walk, we made it and it was open! We waited about a half hour and then we were on it in the front row. It definitely rattles more and is rougher than Dragster, plus I hate the OTSRs and how secluded it is. Dragster is still way better, but KK is a fun coaster. Even though it's only 8 mph faster than Dragster, it does feel more intense.

It was around 9 pm and was getting dark, so my mom and I decided to quickly head over to El Toro. I wish we could just cut through, since it's a pain walking all the way around to get to it. We waited about 15 minutes and rode in the back. This was my first night ride on El Toro and it was AMAZING. In the day this coaster is incredible. At night (and especially in the back), it's pure insanity.

It was 9:30 and we hurried all the way back around to Zumanjaro. So much walking! I had planned all along for us to end the night with this ride, since I knew the view from the top would be awesome at night. So we got in line and only waited about 20 minutes before we were once again waiting to get on the far car. We were going to be on the next ride cycle when the ride went down. The ride ops announced it was down and the people who had just boarded got back off. Some of them came back in line and others decided to leave. I was so disappointed, since I had waited so long to be able to get a night ride on this ride. We decided to wait and hope that it was just a quick fix. After about 15 minutes, they ran 2 tests of it. Then they opened it back up! People got back on it, but we were still in line. Then just as they got checked and the ride was about to start...it went down again. This time I was even more upset since I really didn't think it would ever reopen, especially since it was already after close. But I could tell the staff didn't just want to close the ride and make everyone still in line leave. They kept working on it, and after another 15 minutes they did 2 more tests. Some people in line in front of us had left so if the ride repoened, we would get on it next. So after the test runs, they let us board. We got seated, our restraints were checked, and we were given the clear to go. Then...were started our ascent! The ride worked! It was finally time to get my night ride on Zumanjaro. The climb at night was even freakier than during the day, and it was so cool. The experience is like nothing else. Then you plummet toward the Earth, and all you can see is darkness and the sensation of freefall and speed. The feeling is out of this world, and you don't regain your sanity until you feel the magnetic brakes slow you down. As we exited the ride, I couldn't stop talking about it all the way back to our car.

We had an amazing day at the park. Lines weren't bad at all and the weather was great. Six Flags does annoy me with its advertising all throughout the park (especially giant banners in lines, ads covering coaster cars, and a massive "Jersey Boys" banner spread across El Toro's hill). But the coasters and rides at this park are so much fun. Already I'm excited about returning next year!

10464046_928836327143095_177518454575606

• Like 10

Great trip report! I was there earlier in May and didnt have a chance to ride Zumajaro or Kingda Ka, though ive ridden Kingda Ka before. I agree, Dragster is much better. The launch feels much more intense than Kingda Ka. Imo, the biggest disappointment to me at that park is Superman Ultimate Flight. That ride just lacks any kind of intensity.

Great trip report! You always do a wonderful job on your trip reports. I wish I could put in the detailed descriptions like you do. I suppose I could, I just don't take the time. Thank you for taking the time.

We rode Zumanjaro the day it opened and absolutely loved it. We had the privilege to ride at night during the July 4th fireworks which was breathtaking.

I love Ka. TTD is the only coaster I've not ridden at CP. Once it was shut down due to weather another time (Coastermania) it was just down.

I did not get to ride Superman Ultimate Flight or Green Lantern (we waited a longer time than expected for Zumanjaro.). I really wanted to ride Green Lantern. I loved it as Chang.

• Like 1