Eating food in parking lot

Nick_Plummer

I was at Soak City with my friends yesterday and we went out at about 3:00 to eat lunch. We got to my dads pickup and started eating lunch when a guard approached us and told us that we couldn't have food outside of the park on park grounds. WHAT? I've never had this happen to me before and we went back in the waterpark for about 2 hours and we went out again and ate but this time we weren't approached. Does anyone know why this happened?

• Like 3

The only problem I could see with it is if someone decides to make a mini tailgate party. A couple of times this year I've seen people set up chairs behind their spot and into the driving lane. If that became a trend it could be a major liability. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with people eating inside of their vehicle though.

• Like 4

As long as there is no grilling , open flames or safety issue of a tailgating party or tables or chairs set up in the parking lanes or roadway , outside food is acceptable to eat in the parking lot area. security should be informed of this and he should have known better. If anything a formal complaint is advised so the appropriate managers can better inform staff of policies and procedures. Call the guest services line at 513-754-5700. They are great to get your information and send it directly to the area manager to be informed of this situation.

• Like 4

Are there not still picnic tables under Invertigo's lifts outside the park?

What are those for? For deciding you'd rather eat your in-park-purchased food outside the park?

It's gotta be a misunderstanding on the guard's part. Folks lay out picnic blankets along that grassy median and have full-fledged picnics every time I'm there.

• Like 6

I don't ever remember having problems eating a picnic lunch on the grass in the parking area by the main entrance. However a few years back my friend and I had a picnic lunch on the grass by the water park entrance and told by a police officer ( who was actually very nice-of course I am not stupid and am always respectful to police) that we could not do this-he did let us finish our lunch however. In short my impression is that there are two different policies in the main lot area and the water park lot area.

• Like 2

They should realize that that just how it is. Some people just find the food in the park expensive and some will rather pack a lunch or go somewhere else for food. So parking lot eating is just part of those reasons and they should think about that. Granted I have the All Season Dining Plan and eat at the park. Though I think you guys get what I'm saying.

To me, there really only are like 6 options at the park:

Pizza

Burger

Panda

Skyline

Burritos

Chicken

I don't count Reds Grille because inherently someone in the group will think it's too expensive, although I don't feel like it's much worse than the rest of the park.

By late June I'm pretty burnt out on it. I spend more on food there than most of their guests annually. As many of you know, I'm there almost every evening after work which usually constitutes dinner. I'm also at that age where you start to not feel well after eating badly. I didn't get the meal plan for that reason - I didn't want the temptation. It's still the best deal in the park (except for the season pass itself).

So with that being said: if I owned a cooler and planned my days better I might eat in the parking lot. For now I either eat in the park or go to Chipolte.

• Like 5

I don't count Reds Grille because inherently someone in the group will think it's too expensive, although I don't feel like it's much worse than the rest of the park.

It is expensive when you have the season dining plan and a tight budget. I have both, and have to choose between several places where I can eat for free or paying $15 to eat at the Reds Grille. Guess which one I'm going to choose?

I think a major improvement could be made to the season dining plan by including the Reds Grille. If higher cost is an issue preventing that, then perhaps they can require you to spend both meals from your daily allotment to eat there (not unlike Disney's Signature Restaurants that require two meal entitlements for a single meal). All-day dining plan users might be required to "recharge" for a longer time before their next meal (3 to 4 hours instead of 90 minutes).

Guest dtk1376

I like that idea, I could see them adding that in the future if they decide to bring it back in the coming years. I really hope it does pass this pilot phase it's in as it has saved me loads of money this year.

• Like 2

The one problem including Reds HOF Grill (in any fashion) is a potential increase in customers. Being a sit down nature variety restaurant, I assume it can't handle crowds the way most other food stands can in the park that offer a smaller selection with few items being made to order.

• Like 6

Another thing worth considering: how many folks would leave without tipping since the meal was covered by a Dining Plan? Servers would rely on those tips as an inseparable part of their wage, and I can see it being an issue.

• Like 8