WCPO: Woman asked to upgrade son's Jr Season Pass mid season

BoddaH1994

You call it short sighted when it actually covers the potential height issue long term and will not hurt the park long term. The only ones hurt are those who refuse to read the details.

Those details to any park are as important as letting members know why it is important to capitalize something because it is trademarked. ;)

My daughter has grown 3.5" since April. Should we bring all her Justice clothes & Nike sneakers/ soccer shoes back because she no longer fits into them? Yeah, we would get laughed at. Ironically we purchased her clothes a .5 size big in anticipation for growth.

The park has different pricing to make things easier for those with younger families. Take advantage of the pricing while you can. When a certain level is achieved, take advantage of the bigger rides.

Well, there are these awesome stores that you can get cash for your clothes. The example doesn't really hold water though. Many dresses are returned after dances. Many televisions are returned after the Super Bowl, etc. You can even return a pizza to Marion's if you are not satisfied with a pizza, as long as a certain percentage of the pizza is not eaten.

• Like 1

Guest waitinginline617

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Universal, but it seems to me that if you decide to make a locker mandatory, then make them free. I know the argument is "You could leave it with a non-rider" but c'mon. There isn't always a non-rider. The park knows we're captive and that if you want to ride Banshee, you have to leave carry-on items behind. I think that's fine, and fair, and a great choice! But then, make them free. Talk about a gesture of good will. Because as it is, making lockers mandatory doesn't come across as a rule put forth for safety and to keep the line moving quickly. To say, "You have to do this, and it just so happens we get money when you do, but I PROMISE that's not why we say you have to..." Conflict of interest there haha.

If suddenly guests didn't have to pay $5.00 for lockers throughout the day, they would probably say, "Oh! Well since I don't have to pay for lockers, I might as well get some ice cream." People are so used to getting gouged for the old crappy food the park used to have, and for lockers, and for parking, and for drinks that if the park slowly backed that down to a reasonable level, they'd find that more people would be willing to pay more.

I don't know anything about economics, but I even said years ago that if they charged half as much for a burger, three times as many people would buy them. Seems simple enough to me, and I know the profit would be there. *shrug* Same goes for lockers, but in a goodwill kind of way.

Tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.

Completely agreeing with the fact that free lockers would not ultimately damage the park's profits. I would also probably spend that money elsewhere, especially since I usually set aside a certain amount to spend each time I go there. I think the same could be said for this policy. The children you are forcing to upgrade are the ones asking their parents for the ice cream and the merch; now you are losing their money altogether.

Just a curious question: Is there any argument to having pay lockers to keep them open for guests? As in, discouraging some people through the cost so there are always enough lockers. *Not my personal opinion; just playing on an idealized version of companies not intentionally trying to take all of my money*

You call it short sighted when it actually covers the potential height issue long term and will not hurt the park long term. The only ones hurt are those who refuse to read the details.

Those details to any park are as important as letting members know why it is important to capitalize something because it is trademarked. ;)

My daughter has grown 3.5" since April. Should we bring all her Justice clothes & Nike sneakers/ soccer shoes back because she no longer fits into them? Yeah, we would get laughed at. Ironically we purchased her clothes a .5 size big in anticipation for growth.

The park has different pricing to make things easier for those with younger families. Take advantage of the pricing while you can. When a certain level is achieved, take advantage of the bigger rides.

Well, there are these awesome stores that you can get cash for your clothes. The example doesn't really hold water though. Many dresses are returned after dances. Many televisions are returned after the Super Bowl, etc. You can even return a pizza to Marion's if you are not satisfied with a pizza, as long as a certain percentage of the pizza is not eaten.

I can't imagine returning a Marion's pizza, its the best :))

• Like 3

I believe many need to understand why the policy is in place: With the convienance of online purchases comes deceitfulness (or literal stealing) from those purchasing tickets/ passes.

If the policy is written, then it should not be a surprise. The policy(-ies) are available well before actual payment, if they are not read, shame on you.

Now, the park should pro-rate the increase based on when the over 48" happens & how much time the pass can be used- not charge the pass holder full price. Same goes for under 62- and allow a discount if the pass holder turns 62 during the year.

I'm not sure why so many want to jump on the bandwagon speaking negative of the park. They are in the business if making money. If they are not making money, then they are losing money. This situation is not the park losing a few hundred $$, but possibly thousands upon thousands.

If I had to guess, I'd say "thousands upon thousands" is a gross overstatement of how much revenue this policy generates for the park, and whatever the number actually is appears to have been surpassed by the negative publicity.

Edit: Also, I think your point that everyone needs to see the park's side of the issue is a PR pipe dream. I certainly understand the park's side of the story. But you have to pick your battles.

• Like 1

I believe many need to understand why the policy is in place: With the convienance of online purchases comes deceitfulness (or literal stealing) from those purchasing tickets/ passes.

If the policy is written, then it should not be a surprise. The policy(-ies) are available well before actual payment, if they are not read, shame on you.

Now, the park should pro-rate the increase based on when the over 48" happens & how much time the pass can be used- not charge the pass holder full price. Same goes for under 62- and allow a discount if the pass holder turns 62 during the year.

I'm not sure why so many want to jump on the bandwagon speaking negative of the park. They are in the business if making money. If they are not making money, then they are losing money. This situation is not the park losing a few hundred $$, but possibly thousands upon thousands.

If I had to guess, I'd say "thousands upon thousands" is a gross overstatement of how much revenue this policy generates for the park, and whatever the number actually is appears to have been surpassed by the negative publicity.
Not a gross overstatement in the least bit. If anything, thousands upon thousands underestimates the true impact of under 48" pass vs. over 48". We constantly discuss upset parents because their child cannot get onto a ride due to height. This falls into the same exact catagory.

Just in the restauraunt business alone, families will make children "younger" to either get a free meal or a discounted meal.

The true gross overstatement would be to believe this will have such a negative impact because people refuse to not only ignore the details but refuse to accept them even after becoming aware of them.

If the park gave in to everything because a select few insisted on ignoring the details, the park would lose so much $$ it would cease to exist as we know it.

• Like 2

Don't forget, until gold is gone, the price difference between an adult season pass and a child's has been: 0.

Not one dime.

Where'd the thousands and thousands go?

There was a price difference when we bought ZombieJR's first gold pass. It was only about $5 though. If we had bought his when we bought ours the previous year, it would have been the same price.

• Like 1

Don't forget, not everyone purchases a Gold pass just like in this exact case.

If this were a Gold pass, it would not even be discussed.

Let's not also forget, Gold passes are not available at every CF park. Much like pricing integrity is discussed, policy integrity is important too.

Its starting to become a trend of fleecing us. The other day somebody said KI security made them stop eating in parking lot. Now this? I know its a business and every thing is about money but you dont want this kinda of reputation, not very family friendly.

• Like 5

I think the most sensible option for the policy that benefits both sides would be to prorate the price of the pass as a previous post mentioned.

This lets the park charge people fairly for what they are able to ride at the park, while also not making the guest pay for more than they are able to use. If you can ride all of the rides, it's only fair that you pay as much as someone else who can ride all the rides and paid full admission for it.

I'm sure there are a lot of instances where parents buy Junior passes online for their kids who they know are taller than 48' just to scam some money. Not saying this is one of those instances, but the park does need to be protected of that.

I like the idea that they should measure anyone wanting a Junior pass at processing just to establish a baseline from the beginning. After that though, enforcing the policy would seemingly be difficult to me. How do they/did they catch someone who has a Junior pass but is taller? Did they measure them at the front gate while swiping their pass or something? I feel like the only time people are measured is in line for rides, and it's not like they know/ask what pass you have, do they?

And while this is "negative" publicity for the park, most kids probably don't care. And come next Spring when they want to go to Kings Island, they will beg their parents for a pass.

• Like 1

Its starting to become a trend of fleecing us. The other day somebody said KI security made them stop eating in parking lot. Now this? I know its a business and every thing is about money but you dont want this kinda of reputation, not very family friendly.

This happened to me also. A friend and I were eating in the parking lot and security said the park does not allow food being brought in. Well we were outside the gate in the parking lot. I don't know what is going on with Kings Island right now. They never said anything in the past. In fact they always had picnic tables right outside the front gate.

• Like 5

And it is sad that the park has to have such policies because the ones purchasing the pass are representing such little integrity for the kids.

Moral of the story- read the fine print. If you do not agree with it, don't buy the item & complain later.

I'm looking at my niece and youngest nephew's gold pass (JR, not adult and bought/processed this spring) and it doesn't mention Having to get a new pass. I bought theirs online and don't remember seeing anything about needing to pay the upcharge for adult pass when they hit 48" in the middle of the season. I couldn't find this fine print on their website until I went through the portal to buy a regular pass.

My concern is the lack of consistency and good customer service. Depending on who swipes our passes for our next visit, I'll have to pay an additional fee for only one more trip to the park.

I fully understand the need to prevent people from skirting the system. That makes good business sense. However, that's not happening. As others have said, in terms of good customer service and showing they understand that children grow - measure them on the first swipe of their pass for the season. Then they keep that card for the season. That is logical and will give a sense of good will to the customer.

If we go to the flip side, I seriously doubt that the park would issue a partial refund for someone who has a birthday and now qualifies for a senior pass. Their pass doesn't change for the season...but the children does? No thank you.

• Like 7

Don't forget, until gold is gone, the price difference between an adult season pass and a child's has been: 0.

Not one dime.

Where'd the thousands and thousands go?

Adult and junior Gold Passes are only the same price during the fall sale. As soon as the fall sale ends and prices go up for the first time around the beginning of November, there is a difference between the cost of an adult Gold Pass and a junior Gold Pass (both, however, more expensive than the fall sale price). At least that's the way it's been in the past few years.

• Like 2

Here's how I would adjust the policy:

When you come to the park to get your season pass processed, anyone that will be using the Junior pass will be measured. If, at that point, the person is under 48 inches, that is what you are for the season. No measuring would be required at the gates for pass holders.

I believe this would be the best method to solve this situation. Figuring out prorated amounts sounds like a waste of everyone's time.

• Like 3

Not a gross overstatement in the least bit. If anything, thousands upon thousands underestimates the true impact of under 48" pass vs. over 48". We constantly discuss upset parents because their child cannot get onto a ride due to height. This falls into the same exact catagory.

Just in the restauraunt business alone, families will make children "younger" to either get a free meal or a discounted meal.

The true gross overstatement would be to believe this will have such a negative impact because people refuse to not only ignore the details but refuse to accept them even after becoming aware of them.

If the park gave in to everything because a select few insisted on ignoring the details, the park would lose so much $$ it would cease to exist as we know it.

How many kids with season passes do you think cross the 48 inch threshold during the season? Methinks your guess is way on the high side. Either that or you don't understand the price difference between Junior and Regular. Because I'd put it in the very low thousands at most.

No one is saying the park should give in on everything. But there's a fine line between standing your ground and bringing negative publicity to the park, and this issue quite obviously crossed over that line. For MAYBE a couple thousand bucks.

• Like 3

I can understand both sides of this. But truthfully, in the grand scheme of things, it just seems really unimportant to me. I guess that I have just learned to deal with things differently in my life in the last year with where I have been. And I won't discuss where I've been in the last 1 1/2 years unless you are interested enough to PM me. It would be a discussion that we don't have here on the boards,

I highly doubt a Mr. Don Helbig would be defending the policy in the media unless a decision has been made to retain it, at least for the remainder of the season.

Except many passes are now renewed online with no processing. For those (and all), check height at first entry each season.

Such a change in policy would likely require training as well as changes to the gate admission software. Hopefully procedures will be revisited following this media incident, but I would expect this to take time.

Even though current policy is apparently not conducive to good customer service, it's not the only problem here. Enforcing this at all for passholders in August, as the regular season concludes, seems silly. Even so, had enforcement been limited to a reminder after allowing them into the park, they probably wouldn't have gone to WCPO.

The kid from the article was 1" too tall. Had his mom received a reminder to upgrade earlier in the season, she might have even stopped at an admission window and happily paid the extra ~$0-$10.

• Like 2

I received my gold pass as a gift (thanks Mom!) and then waited until the week before the season started to buy my daughter's pass and the price difference was pretty significant at that time. Junior gold pass was $99 and adult gold pass was $117. She was right above the 48 inch mark at the time so she got an adult pass, but I could see having to pay $18 out of pocket randomly on a later visit when you weren't expecting it and hadn't budgeted for it could be annoying. I often don't even bring that much money with me because we try to eat before we go.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So I got a few questions about this and sorry if i missed the answers in the previous posts but couldn't find an answer... (and sorry about the bump, figured it was better this way than creating a whole new topic)

1. If I ended up having to upgrade my daughter's pass to the adult pass due to her reaching 48 inches, does this guarantee her to be at the 48 inch level for the rest of the season? I know when she was between 43 & 44 inches there would be times she would measure at 44 then others at 43, usually depending on who was doing the measuring.

2. If I end up having to upgrade will I be upgrading at the discounted price from when I bought the pass or will I be upgrading at the current inflated price?

• Like 2

I don't have an answer to question 2, but in regards to question 1,

It will not guarantee here being 48" all season. She'll have to get measured each trip regardless of your pass. I know where you are coming from, my son would fluctuate between a specific mark from one trip to another just a week apart.

• Like 3