2015 Season Passes

momtowkco

There's a lot to like there, including the people.

They try. They need to replace Spider and the Dodgems. Badly.

I will admit, I didn't completely hate it. They had the best Whip I've ever ridden. The food was kinda meh for me, but the pricing was fair, so I can be a bit more lenient there. I spoke to a nice young lady working the register at one of their shops who noticed my Vortex shirt and we had a great discussion about how Kings Island is far and away the best theme park in Ohio (for some reason, I seem to only ever meet cute girls at parks that are several hours from home... Sigh...)

Two things were red flags, and they are the main things that scared me away. Bathrooms. Absolutely filthy that day. I didn't want to touch the sinks to wash my hands. And the second, the train on Big Dipper. It looked unloved and poorly maintained, and it didn't give me the warm fuzzies to ride. I appreciate the rarity of the Century Flyer trains, but perhaps it's time to invest in a used PTC that's in good shape. If Stricker's can afford it, I'm sure Camden can, too.

• Like 2

Snacks are carefully marketed impulse purchases.

The point of the meal plan is to simplify dining for frequent visitors. With meals prepaid, you might visit more often and have more spending money at each visit.

The point is not to take your in-park spending to zero, though it has had that effect for some visitors.

For me personally, my in-park spending dropped to basically zero, but not because of the dining plan. Before that, I would pack a lunch and eat in the car or leave for Taco Bell.

Banshee's requiring a locker for loose articles is what brought my spending to zero. I used to bring my souvenir cup and drink lots of soda. Now, when faced with the option of stow the cup in a locker at $2 (or more) per use, walk back to my car and put it there, or just get free water, I elected for water. Not having soda on the meal plan has also more or less eliminated my desire to drink soda at the park period.

So, uh, thanks for not having bins on Banshee, Kings Island. You make the line move faster, make me spend less money, and keep me somewhat healthier :)

To echo this post, I too feel like no bins on Banshee was for my own good, for the fact that it forced me to not bring my (small) Nike bag whenever I visit, and instead renovate my cargo pockets with safety pins so that they would actually HOLD things without falling out....

The main reason I ever brought my bag was not because I brought a ton of stuff with me (it never held more than what I could fit in my cargo pockets anyway), it was just because I was afraid of my stuff falling out. I knew the cargo shorts didn't have very secure pockets, but so then I adapted and evolved to completely external-article-less park-goer...

Thank you Banshee for making me a more responsible member of society :)

• Like 6

If I remember right, Dorney usually opens one of the first weekends in May, KD opens either right at the end of March or at the start of April, and Carowinds usually opens mid-March. Of course, don't take my word for this--parks' operating schedules can and do change from time to time. But yeah, the operating schedules are typically announced in January or February.

• Like 1

Don't forget that most (all?) Cedar Fair parks have buy-out days that may change from season-to-season.

The timing of holidays (esp. Easter), spring breaks of local schools, and even which days of the month that weekends fall on can also be factors in the calendar. March 23 could be better for an opening day than March 18.

• 4 weeks later...

Boy, the 2015 season is going to be a hard decision. Get passes again, or no.

With high school and travel softball, we did not get to the park nearly as often as in years past, though, enough to make the pass worthwhile.

This next season will be more of the same, though now I have taken on coaching duties on the summer team.

Guess that I have a few weeks to comtemplate.

Boy, the 2015 season is going to be a hard decision. Get passes again, or no.

With high school and travel softball, we did not get to the park nearly as often as in years past, though, enough to make the pass worthwhile.

This next season will be more of the same, though now I have taken on coaching duties on the summer team.

Guess that I have a few weeks to comtemplate.

I will say the same thing I said to my wife: if you think you will go 2 times then it's cheaper to buy the pass ($30 ticket + $15 parking)

• Like 3