SeaWorld Misses Targets, Stock Plummets

The people that hold their noses at Seaworld will probably always hold their noses, they get stuck in a mindset like a 15 year old girl that hates the homecoming queen for being homecoming queen. Those people aren't going to stop and re-examine their logic; they are right and cannot be wrong, it would be a loss to their ego. They aren't going to sign up to a rescue blog.

When you suggested a sea pen, my assumption (yah, I know, "ass u me") that you meant a controlled environment that was safe for them.

Seaworld is going have to care for these animals, and Seaworld without the whales still means that the whales are somewhere, being tended to, without the revenue they bring in.

To be honest, the activists are reminding me of hillbilly neighbors, they got mad that I will defend myself against their fighting dogs jumping my fence, but then got mad when I built a regulation pit bull fence to keep the dogs from getting in my yard, because an eight foot fence isn't neighborly.

I would like the makers of Blackfish next film to be about, not tearfully emotional activists on an oily boat looking on a whales in the ocean, but about a pack of activists cleaning up a junked up river, or at least going to the beach and picking up the trash.

They can at least explore the impact of boaters and kayakers barging up to wild whales and getting their butts handed to them by the Big Blues. Have you seen the youtube videos lately? Boaters literally barging up to whale faces. How is that any better than than Seaworld is doing? They are like the Timothy Treadwells of the water.

• Like 4

I can also read that Orlando Sentinel article. It's possible that they're like the Enquirer and similar papers, where you can view x articles for free each month without paying. If that's the case, clearing any cookies set by that site (or viewing that article from another browser) should allow you to view it just fine.

^^ That article is buried behind a premium content paywall, so I can't read it. I can, however, read this story about SeaWorld ending its appeals of the OSHA restrictions against trainers' interactions with killer whales. I wonder what message that move sends.

Just to clarify, this is about the water works in the SHOWS. Waterworks where it concerns for vet care continues which is more important anyway.

I kind of side with Terpy...there have been times where I feel like SeaWorld was better off keeping quiet.

• Like 3

I can also read that Orlando Sentinel article. It's possible that they're like the Enquirer and similar papers, where you can view x articles for free each month without paying. If that's the case, clearing any cookies set by that site (or viewing that article from another browser) should allow you to view it just fine.

I cleared all cookies from orlandosentinel.com, and I still couldn't read it. Looking a little closer, it seems that certain stories are designated "premium" content and require a subscription to view (all others are visible to the public). They offer a free subscription that includes up to five premium stories per 30 days, but it requires me to give them my email address, which I won't do.

PETA buying up stock in SeaWorld?....sounds like they are trying to become majority stock holders just to try to shut down the parks.

Here is another article.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/08/20/peta-takes-advantage-of-stock-dip-to-buy-seaworld-shares/#axzz3B552qOlb

I know I'm thinking small, but with no finances coming in, and let's face it, these are big animals we're talking, who is to take care of them?

I know the dream of a lot of PETA is to ride the larger mammals smiling into the sunset, to the Land of Shangrila, but that's just not going to happen with positive results.

Are there any proposals for sanitary sanctuaries, with quailified caretakers in any of their plans? Does anyone think that they are playing it one step at a time; get control of the park, then worry about the realities of owning these animals when the time comes?

The ultimate goal of PETA is to Free Willie...they don't realize that lots of the animals in the park were rescue animals and some were born in captivity without ever being in open sea. Most of the animals would die because they wouldn't be handed a meal by a trainer.

But I totally believe PETA is inching their way into ownership so they can release the animals and close the parks.

• Like 1

Now if only the Westboro "Baptist Church" and George W. Bush would publicly endorse Blackfish we might be able to convince some folks to reconsider the film's merits.

Perhaps the reason why PETA didn't plaster its name all over the film despite their involvement.

• Like 4