Has Ridership Increased on "The Bat" After This Year's Makeover?

Ffej

Giving "Flight Deck" a new name and theme was something I had wanted and suggested directly to the park. I was delighted to see them do exactly that this year, and I thought "The Bat" theme was perfect, along with new bright colors and signage to attract guests after a spin on Banshee.

It's a great coaster, and its clone is still popular at Canada's Wonderland. In the last couple seasons as Flight Deck, it was sad to see hardly anyone riding it. I typically visit the park during less busy times of the year, but as Flight Deck, the station was usually completely empty. Having a whole train to yourself had its perks, but I worried for the future of the ride.

Since "The Bat" re-theme, I've noticed a steady stream of people walking into the queue, which has been exciting. I've heard reports that the ride had a long line on opening day and has had some decent lines during the busier days this season. On the less busy days I've visited this year, there were actually people filling the trains, and re-rides weren't quite as easy to get.

I'd love to hear from the park if "The Bat" experiment was a success. Was it worth the investment? Has its ridership increased? If it was a success, I could definitely see the park (and other Cedar Fair parks) trying to reinvent older rides. Could Backlot Stunt Coaster be next with a new name and theme?

• Like 11

I joked with my friend that we swear we heard a young man saying, "Man, The Bat kicks [butt]. I'm so glad they got rid of [Flight Deck], it was a piece of [crap]."

A wise man (or two) once said:

Things are seldom what they seem,

Skim milk masquerades as cream.

• Like 13

Giving "Flight Deck" a new name and theme was something I had wanted and suggested directly to the park. I was delighted to see them do exactly that this year, and I thought "The Bat" theme was perfect, along with new bright colors and signage to attract guests after a spin on Banshee.

It's a great coaster, and its clone is still popular at Canada's Wonderland. In the last couple seasons as Flight Deck, it was sad to see hardly anyone riding it. I typically visit the park during less busy times of the year, but as Flight Deck, the station was usually completely empty. Having a whole train to yourself had its perks, but I worried for the future of the ride.

Since "The Bat" re-theme, I've noticed a steady stream of people walking into the queue, which has been exciting. I've heard reports that the ride had a long line on opening day and has had some decent lines during the busier days this season. On the less busy days I've visited this year, there were actually people filling the trains, and re-rides weren't quite as easy to get.

I'd love to hear from the park if "The Bat" experiment was a success. Was it worth the investment? Has its ridership increased? If it was a success, I could definitely see the park (and other Cedar Fair parks) trying to reinvent older rides. Could Backlot Stunt Coaster be next with a new name and theme?

I was in line for 45 minutes on opening day and it was one of only two rides I was on before I left. EVERYTHING had insane lines and in some cases season long record lines that day. If I could go back in time I would've not taken off work that day and not of gone.

The number of riders has increased but it's not some huge massive difference. If I had to guess I'd say it's doubled the amount of people riding it which isn't much. I still see it near empty often but to be fair I still see more people on the ride than last year.

• Like 2

I think the re-theme is part of it, but proximity to Banshee is probably 80% of the increased ridership, if I had to guess.

There's no doubt that Banshee helped get some riders to The Bat, but I'm not sure on what level. Gatekeeper didn't seem to bring an influx of riders to Wicked Twister nor did Maverick bring them to Mean Streak. I think people are drawn to something new, which is why Cedar Point might be experimenting with giving one of their coasters a King James makeover.

I don't think it takes an all-new attraction to get people excited. I'm sure these forums would be ablaze with excitement if Backlot Stunt Coaster got a new name and an extensive re-theme. I can envision them building on what's there now with Backlot and giving it an earthquake-style makeover with minimal investment. Or they could invest more and focus on beautifying that area, giving it a Maverick-esque canyon-carving theme with willow trees and such.

• Like 2

I think the re-theme is part of it, but proximity to Banshee is probably 80% of the increased ridership, if I had to guess.

I don't think it takes an all-new attraction to get people excited. I'm sure these forums would be ablaze with excitement if Backlot Stunt Coaster got a new name and an extensive re-theme. I can envision them building on what's there now with Backlot and giving it an earthquake-style makeover with minimal investment. Or they could invest more and focus on beautifying that area, giving it a Maverick-esque canyon-carving theme with willow trees and such.

Yep! So what we know is:

It takes less than a new ride, but more than a new name.

I wonder if ridership on Backlot Stunt Coaster was markedly higher than on Italian Job: Stunt Track? :P

• Like 2

I hope it does increase in ridership. I like The Bat even though the industry has really taken off in terms of what can be done. I love the new paint job and name. Brings back some great memories of the original coaster which I was fortunate enough to ride. It was definitely a wild ride as I remember it. I would venture to say it had the coolest cars ever.

• Like 3

I was riding with a buddy who had not ridden The Bat ever. He said he loved Iron Dragon because it was a calmer ride and wasnt nearly intense so it was a nice break. He suggested after a Banshee/Invertigo back to back affair we take a spin on Bat in the front row. He was expecting calm and then the first drop happened with the big curve following. He had more fun on that ride than any other we rode that day.

• Like 11

It is probably more popular because Banshee is so close to it. For example, if I went to Kings Island and rode Banshee, I would probably want to go ride The Bat next because it is the closest coaster. Between the years that Son of Beast was SBNO and Banshee opened, the closest coaster was Invertigo.

Edit: What I am saying is that not many people went back there before Banshee opened. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

• Like 1

There's no doubt that Banshee helped get some riders to The Bat, but I'm not sure on what level. Gatekeeper didn't seem to bring an influx of riders to Wicked Twister nor did Maverick bring them to Mean Streak. I think people are drawn to something new, which is why Cedar Point might be experimenting with giving one of their coasters a King James makeover.

Banshee's proximity to The Bat though I think has a different effect than those coasters. The Bat is fairly hidden in the back and hard to see from walking around the park. I have seen and gone with people there that didn't even know the coaster was back there, they weren't carrying around a park map to see that. Now with all the ridership from Banshee and the bright paint you can't help but see it. Plus the exit for Banshee spits you out to where you pretty much see the sign for the ride. So I'd say Banshee's addition probably had at least as much of an impact on The Bat as the the retheme did.

• Like 3

Mind reader. I was just noting today how out of places the storage boxes are. I do wish they'd re-theme it something closer to the midwest.

Midwest isn't bad- midwest IS theme park.

I think Kings Island is a beautiful park that represents what our state is; I love that we have so much greenery. I think the Los Angeles theme in the middle of our park is bizarre looking.

There's actually people in the AZ this year, the remodel did wonders to that flat expanse of cement. That could account for higher rider numbers. The battleship grey hid the a bit anyway.

My mother loved her aircraft carrier, though. I'm afraid to tell her they repainted it.

• Like 2

Yea I loive the ride but giving it a retheming to fit in with the surroundings better would be good. Either jsut grassy adn trees or something to go with Coney Mall or a western type theme similar to Maverick for it to be part of Rivertown.

I never thought the theming on it was terrible persay jsut didn't fit the area. It would have gone perfectly in Action Zone at teh time it wasbuilt as it was teh exact theme of the land. But it never fit in where it is located.

• Like 1

And it is no longer hiding behind a SBNO wall of wood. I would imagine that decreased ridership numbers significantly. Visibility is key.

I agree partly with it being behind SOB that was SBNO was a factor, but not a real significant change because of visibility. The Beast is not that visible.

Yes but The Beast is an iconic coaster that anyone going to the park will know about and will hunt for or ask where it is if needed. Flight Deck was not the same way. There were people that didn't know anything about it and it wasn't some major must ride coaster to a vast majority and so might not take the extra effort to find it if they didn't know where it was.

• Like 5

I think the name has risen this year not only because of Banshee, but 30 years ago this year, the original Bat was dismantled. The re-theme is certainly helping the new Bat, but I wish there were more merchandise than just the mugs/shot glasses. A shirt, hat, maybe a Banshee/Bat or Old Bat/ New Bat shirt would be better?

Some would even say that the trains running on the track fit the theme. Those squeaks really sound like a bat.

• Like 4

Banshee probably can be credited for all of the increased ridership to The Bat. The AZ area is now routinely PACKED- not that it didn't have its share of people before, but I think we can all agree that since about 2006, that area of the park was an afterthought. Even during SOBs operating days- I don't think it had consistent long lines that Banshee will have beyond this year. I think after the first or second year of operation SOB had ruled many people wary about the alignment of their back out. As long as the Banshee trolls the tracks, there'll be a line. All benefit to the existing rides (and future) for the area.

That said, (I like theming elements...)- something could certainly be added under The Bat station for added theming- AND for the cost of replacing the trains with a floorless version would offer a COMPLETELY new experience.

Banshee note: I may have placed this before, but I would love to see KI place "reflectors" of some sort of the Banshee trains that would be unnoticeable during the day, but look like streaks shooting through the woods at night form the ground and Tower. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Well there is no where to walk under the station any more near The Bat. I feel a floor less would be neat but would the general pop feel it's significantly different from Banshee? However swinging out far with a floor less would be fun. Maybe add 1 floor less train and keep one "normal"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3