Kings Island Pass Renewal Deal

KI FANATIC 37

Canada's Wonderland lists their "bonus" for online purchases, and I'm sure it will apply here as well. Buying online includes all the benefits of buying at the park, though an extra processing fee may be charged.

Offers can and do change without notice, so those interested in the free bonus should renew soon after sales begin.

• Like 2

If this offer continues into the fall, it could potentially draw a lot of renewing passholders into the park on Sundays just to redeem this. KI's other season pass offers this season have received a huge response.

Perhaps this offer will ironically create a need for Fast Lane.

• Like 1

I do not understand the willingness to give the house away, for a perk that will cause more harm than good.

To promote season pass renewals in Q3, to promote visits on days when business is light, and to make customers think that they're getting a really good deal.

• Like 8

So, if you take the tweet literally, it says those that renew on Thursday get the Fast Lane Plus - is that offer only valid on a renewal this Thursday or is it valid if you renew anytime between then and the end of the operating season?

And I do believe/agree the perk will cause more harm than good - it has been duly noted/witnessed/experienced by members on this forum that pass holders come out of the woodwork for "free stuff" - some of the longest waits of the season for Banshee was on exclusive ride time for pass holders; reported almost 2 hour lines for free food at Soak City event, etc.

We may see the Fast Lane lines be longer than the general public line on Sundays in the fall! It will probably turn the pass holders that are not fans of Fast Lane into even bigger haters; and could potentially tick off those that do not have a pass that purchase a Fast Lane for a Sunday in the Fall and experience Fast Lane lines longer than the non-Fast Lane lines and cause them to never want to visit again as they would not see the advantage of a Fast Lane perk! We all know that even with a low attendance, folks still purchase Fast Lane. Take today for example - in many instances I would follow a Fast Lane person into the respective general public ride line and get on same train as them and even once ahead of them!

Another problem I see - are the "free" Fast Lane Plus wristbands for renewals included in the allotted/supposed 20% cap of Fast Lane passes sold each day based on historical attendance numbers? If so, what happens if more than 20% of the pass holders wait until the last operating Sunday to redeem and are then denied the free perk. And if the free perk is not part of the 20% cap, then potentially you could see the abovementioned problems of a larger percentage of Fast Lane holders to non-holders.

Now if the perk is only valid if the passes are renewed this Thursday, then I don't think it would be as big of a deal as I don't think the entire renewal population would even know about the renewal offer and even if they do, would probably procrastinate on it. But if the perk is extended to a renewal anytime between Thursday and the end of the season, look out!

• Like 6

Advertising this promotion well will also prove to be essential. I know many people who wait to renew their pass until the spring. I'm not sure why, it's like they WANT to spend more money. Suffice it to say that no matter how the promotion works, if you renew after November 2nd, you won't be getting a free Fast Lane for 2014.

Quarter 2 results for Cedar Fair showed attendance down 2%. I would be willing to bet that this promotion might have something to do with that.

You (and Malem) hit the nail on the head. Fortunately, you see a lot of the benefit of this program (if you choose to participate). You get a free Fast Lane Plus (and more?).

The truth is, the company missed some Q2 metrics. They NEED to make it up in Q3. There essentially is no Q4 for Cedar Fair.

If you purchase the pass on Thursday you:

1. Have just added to their Q3 metrics

2. Are almost guaranteeing another Q3 visit (using your FL Plus)

3. Your extra Q3 visit is on a day that many wouldn't typically visit (Sunday during Haunt)

4. Added value to your season pass (Don't forget, some simply choose not to renew)

This plan is almost brilliant. It's very mutually beneficial. I don't think it erodes the value in FL Plus either since the intended demographic is for one time visitors, not necessarily season pass holders. I suppose the only disservice would be to those who actually spent the $90 or whatever for the FL Plus on those Sundays.

I think Haunt will be a good example of a "forest through the trees" situation. Cedar Fair has to make up ground in the coming weeks and months. Kings Island and Cedar Point already pack 'em to the gills during the Haunt nights. If we start seeing extreme discounts and the oh-so-desperate bring-a-friend-cheap days during Haunt nights, it's going to really erode the experience. Many people who visit will perceive Haunt as a time when the park is packed and you can't do anything, so they won't come back next year. I could see some of the parks in the chain doing that, but I'd like to think Kings Island wouldn't make that mistake.

• Like 7

Advertising this promotion well will also prove to be essential. I know many people who wait to renew their pass until the spring. I'm not sure why, it's like they WANT to spend more money. Suffice it to say that no matter how the promotion works, if you renew after November 2nd, you won't be getting a free Fast Lane for 2014.

Some people don't have the extra cash to renew in the fall. I usually wait till I get my tax refund in February to renew my Platinum Pass. So it has nothing to do with wanting to spend more money it's just the way it is sometimes.

• Like 2

You cant please everyone, so you gotta please yourself....

Seriously, I know it may be a very busy time in the FL queue on the Sundays, but it is free. Its a perk they dont have to offer.

Are we that jaded as a group that its sometimes hard to see that something like this has to be seen in a negative light, instead of a slight positive? In the past what was a perk for renewing in the fall? Cheaper prices? Maybe CF as a company is attempting to do good to its customer base (while also ensuring people buy again for next year).

As for the bring a friend cheap days. Yes they can be seen to pack the park. But on the flip side, its sort of nice to offer up a trip to KI for the cheap to a few friends. Maybe its age or whatever, but my friends/family and I dont mind the busy crowds on those days. We are not there to "ride as many times as humanely possible" but more there to enjoy the day. If we only get 1 ride on each ride, then thats new memories. Looking back at this season, I dont remember how many times I rode Banshee, Diamondback, Beast, or anything else. I do remember taking my neice on The Beast (and her terrified look), riding Banshee front row with my buddy, getting my mom on The Bat after almost 10 years of no coasters, watching my son's face light up when his car went down the hill on Peanuts 500, etc. I couldnt tell you how long I waited in a certain line, etc.

• Like 8

Some people don't have the extra cash to renew in the fall. I usually wait till I get my tax refund in February to renew my Platinum Pass. So it has nothing to do with wanting to spend more money it's just the way it is sometimes.

They payment plan for renewals for ~$10/month/pass might interest you. (More if you get 2015 all-season dining as well.)

• Like 1

Plus purchasing in the fall ensures we do not see another story on the news the following year about some kid who had a junior pass and grew and was asked to pay the difference for an adult pass! :P

Many reasons why folks don't renew in the fall - available funds is high on the list; as would be not knowing if your interests would be the same the following year; maybe you are contemplating a job change or move; maybe you feel worn out of KI after visiting so many times this year; and then just plain ole procrastination!

You cant please everyone, so you gotta please yourself....

Seriously, I know it may be a very busy time in the FL queue on the Sundays, but it is free. Its a perk they dont have to offer.

Are we that jaded as a group that its sometimes hard to see that something like this has to be seen in a negative light, instead of a slight positive? In the past what was a perk for renewing in the fall? Cheaper prices? Maybe CF as a company is attempting to do good to its customer base (while also ensuring people buy again for next year).

As for the bring a friend cheap days. Yes they can be seen to pack the park. But on the flip side, its sort of nice to offer up a trip to KI for the cheap to a few friends. Maybe its age or whatever, but my friends/family and I dont mind the busy crowds on those days. We are not there to "ride as many times as humanely possible" but more there to enjoy the day. If we only get 1 ride on each ride, then thats new memories. Looking back at this season, I dont remember how many times I rode Banshee, Diamondback, Beast, or anything else. I do remember taking my neice on The Beast (and her terrified look), riding Banshee front row with my buddy, getting my mom on The Bat after almost 10 years of no coasters, watching my son's face light up when his car went down the hill on Peanuts 500, etc. I couldnt tell you how long I waited in a certain line, etc.

But if it waters down the Fast Lane line such that its line is of equal size or larger than the non-Fast Lane line, then it probably has done more harm than good. Inevitably there will be someone that didn't get to use the Fast Lane perk this year (either park met quota for day or every Sunday is horrible weather or something else) and then we will hear the complaints again. Just look at this forum or the park's Facebook page with complaints about the free food exclusive event at Soak City this year.

Personally, I haven't bought Fast Lane and I am more in line with your thinking. Some of my best memories are standing in the long lines and talking with friends. However it is (well potentially was now!) nice to know that Sundays in fall could be the ride days due to lower crowds. With it being season pass holders, I can't see the per cap spending increase in the fall, but the perk may increase attendance.

Personally, I think the price of the pass is incentive enough and all the perk needed to purchase. If they were to add anything, I would like to see them continue with items that will hopefully encourage in-park spending by pass holders, such as meal deals, discounts, etc.

• Like 3

Plus I'm not sure if it applies to the Platinum Pass but the price for a Gold Pass in the fall is generally much cheaper than it is late winter/spring.

To my knowledge, Platinum prices don't change through the season and are the same chainwide, other than being slightly cheaper at Canada's Wonderland due to exchange rates. However, higher sales tax would likely nullify the savings regardless.

I'd be willing to bet the Fast Lane line is longer than the regular line during one of those Sundays. This promotion isn't really worth the Fast Lane in my eyes. I'd be more likely to go for it if it were offered to use at any point in 2015 instead as a one time use.

Hopefully the people that renew enjoy their passes though!

This seems like one of those deals where management gave this idea some thought and saw that it looks good on paper. I'm sure the thought was "we'll give away something that masquerades as a perk, but in reality won't have much value given the days the perk would be used". Add in the fact that this (as of the time of this writing) is only a one-day special sale perk, the sale being held on a day where the park is only open til 8 and most schools are in session. To disco2000's point, in theory this really shouldn't be a big deal if the deal remains as it stands and isn't broadened in any way.

That and the bring up to X friends for $1X.XX offers you are apt to see Fridays and Sundays this fall....

Let's assume the Interpreter is correct in his assessment that Fall will bring some "bring a friend for $X" dollars deal on Sundays. You need to be a season pass holder to take advantage of this deal. I - random renewing season pass holder - decide to take advantage of this deal and bring someone to the park on a Sunday. I took advantage of the one-day renewal sale and I have a Fast Lane Plus band I can use that day. Great! One problem...the person whom I took does not have a Fast Lane Plus band. Do I shell out the extra $75 for one Fast Lane Plus band? Do I not use the FLP band that day because I don't want to pony up the extra cash and/or it's not necessary due to low crowds and try and go another Sunday?

And I do believe/agree the perk will cause more harm than good - it has been duly noted/witnessed/experienced by members on this forum that pass holders come out of the woodwork for "free stuff" - some of the longest waits of the season for Banshee was on exclusive ride time for pass holders; reported almost 2 hour lines for free food at Soak City event, etc.

We may see the Fast Lane lines be longer than the general public line on Sundays in the fall! It will probably turn the pass holders that are not fans of Fast Lane into even bigger haters; and could potentially tick off those that do not have a pass that purchase a Fast Lane for a Sunday in the Fall and experience Fast Lane lines longer than the non-Fast Lane lines and cause them to never want to visit again as they would not see the advantage of a Fast Lane perk!

But if the perk is extended to a renewal anytime between Thursday and the end of the season, look out!

I highlighted this last line intentionally. I don't believe the doomsday scenario - bring-a-friend for less than $10, Bengals have a bye week (which will happen on Sunday 9/28, just a heads up), warm and sunny day - can come to fruition unless Kings Island foolishly decides to extend this perk to all renewals through the end of the season. If the offer is extended to all renewals through the end of the season, the scenario that disco2000 outlined is a very real possibility.

What does it say about this "deal" when most here who have responded - folks I'm assuming are season pass holders and would be entitled to the perk if they follow the terms of the deal - don't like said deal?

^

Wow, Fast Lane to use on a Sunday in the fall! Oh boy, I get to use the 3 minute line instead of the 5 minute line...

Boo. Only for use on Sunday, when the perk isn't normally needed. Horrible, just horrible. I do not understand the willingness to give the house away, for a perk that will cause more harm than good.

And I do believe/agree the perk will cause more harm than good

Now if the perk is only valid if the passes are renewed this Thursday, then I don't think it would be as big of a deal as I don't think the entire renewal population would even know about the renewal offer and even if they do, would probably procrastinate on it. But if the perk is extended to a renewal anytime between Thursday and the end of the season, look out!

This promotion isn't really worth the Fast Lane in my eyes.

• Like 2

I don't think people on here are saying that they don't like the deal. Most are simply observing that the company didn't perform up to what was expected, and this is the clear result.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

This is about giving our renewing season passholders what they've been asking for: something for renewing since there is not a price break in the fall between new and renewal.

We're also going to be giving our guests that renew their season pass before November 2 something else they've been asking for with an exclusive preview night before the park opens for the 2015 season.

• Like 30

We're also going to be giving our guests that renew their season pass before November 2 something else they've been asking for with an exclusive preview night before the park opens for the 2015 season.

Very glad to see a preview night (re)added. Passholders get a special event, and the park gets practice with actual guests before Opening Day.

• Like 8

Fast Lane Plus may be pretty much useless on a fall Sunday, but remember that the park is in no way obligated to give us anything with the renewal. So don't complain about it, but instead accept it for what it is: free stuff. Or as the saying goes, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

As for the preview night, cool! I will definitely be there. :)

• Like 6