Kings Island Pass Renewal Deal

KI FANATIC 37

They read the sites so if I don't like something or won't make use of it I will give my opinion on it. I don't have to just accept it and be happy with it.

"Doesn't appeal to me, but hey - have fun," sounds like your take on it, based on your previous posts. Perfectly acceptable point of view in my opinion.
  • Like 3

Here is my question. If a free Fast Lane Plus on a Sunday in the fall is a dumb giveaway; because crowds are already light. (Opinions from previous posts). Then How are they giving away the house? Crowds are light, they wouldn't sell many Fast Lane Pluses on Sunday anyway. So my point is, this is a way to increase early pass renewals with very little loss in profit; if any.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

I don't think people on here are saying that they don't like the deal. Most are simply observing that the company didn't perform up to what was expected, and this is the clear result.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

This is about giving our renewing season passholders what they've been asking for: something for renewing since there is not a price break in the fall between new and renewal.

We're also going to be giving our guests that renew their season pass before November 2 something else they've been asking for with an exclusive preview night before the park opens for the 2015 season.

Boom, this is almost exactly what I posted. Just a way for the park to say "hey, thanks for being awesome. Continue to be awesome."

I feel some on here would complain if the park gave you a $10 voucher to use on any food item by saying that it doesnt cover a full combo.....

• Like 5

I'm sure they'll do a lot to pack people into the park on Sundays this year. Bring a friend, ticket discounts, etc. I'm sure the FL Plus will be put to better use than what is thought.

Plus, hey, with FL+ you can get one of those elusive Firehawk rides.

I feel some on here would complain if the park gave you a $10 voucher to use on any food item by saying that it doesnt cover a full combo.....

It's almost human nature. You give an inch, they take a mile.
  • Like 7

I love the idea of perks, but they are really only as free as Holiday World's drinks. Love the gift horse expression.

Nothing's free. They're running a business, not a charity. What you want to look for is 'mutually beneficial' - which this is.
Absolutely, I hope you didn't misunderstand me. It would be ridiculous for me to expect them to operate like a charity. It's good economics to create value and that seems like what they're doing. I think the pass preview is smart. They have a probably larger than usual season pass base coming off the Banshee debut. They are taking steps to keep them. They know that some may get lost over the winter. Season pass holders are being shown that they are appreciated and valuable through these perks.
  • Like 3

Glad to hear they will have a preview day/night next year. Will have to renew my pass before the end of the season. Although, depending when the park opens next year, I may not be able to make the preview day/opening day, if it happens to coincide with my wedding/honey moon.

• Like 6

Not really, at least to me. There will be a whole off season not filled with potentially crowded preview nights, many updates, webcams, and potential media days in regards to whatever 2015 may bring...What I basically see is: Come into the park and look at stuff, but hopefully we get a great attendance (because that seems to be the drive this year) and they buy stuff in the park (hopefully)

I'm a whatever when it comes to this deal..I'll take the cheap pass and enjoy the hell out of it all season as I've done so far.

• Like 1

I wanted to note, the free Fast Lane Plus pass is for all renewals by November 2 according to Twitter (these postings came right after the original KI tweet mentioning the pass):

@alexshell28: @KingsIslandPR do you have to buy it on thursday or any day during the offseason

http://twitter.com/alexshell28/status/501501243886297088

@KingsIslandPR: @alexshell28 Before the season ends November 2.

http://twitter.com/kingsislandpr/status/501534462308794369

Fast Lane Plus may be pretty much useless on a fall Sunday, but remember that the park is in no way obligated to give us anything with the renewal. So don't complain about it, but instead accept it for what it is: free stuff. Or as the saying goes, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

As for the preview night, cool! I will definitely be there. :)

I don't think people on here are saying that they don't like the deal. Most are simply observing that the company didn't perform up to what was expected, and this is the clear result.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I agree with BoddaH1994 that the comments on here are not negative for the deal and are not looking/kicking a gift horse in the mouth, but rather pointing out a potential problem that may or may not present itself with such perk.

I personally am all for "free stuff" as long as it doesn't devalue the experience/enjoyment for others - case in point the Share a Coke machine that was at KI where you could stand in line to get your name and a friend on the can - it was free and doesn't devalue my experience/enjoyment of Coca-Cola, but rather enhanced it.

In this instance, I think the potential of a 2-hour Fast Lane queue full of free Fast Lane users due to season pass renewals will devalue the Fast Lane experience for those unfortunate that pay for it that day.

I think the last thing the park/chain is interested in is a devaluing of the cash cow Fast Lane and this has the potential to do it!

Again I hope these concerns expressed in this topic do not occur as it would be real shame for a "perk" to result in more harm than good.

And again for the record, for me, I do not need incentives to renew my pass as the price is already reasonable for the opportunity and experiences it brings. Now I do realize some need the incentive to do so and I sincerely hope this one works and doesn't backfire, particularly with a huge season pass park like KI.

• Like 3

I would be a little surprised if they don't end up making the Fast Lane Plus perk good for any Sunday, including the 2015 season. I think it would make the most sense for them to spread it out, monetarily.

As for me, I'm good either way. My Gold Pass renewal is already guaranteed, regardless of additional perks (but they are always appreciated!). Being able to come and go at the park at my whim for an entire season is way more than worth the price of a pass. I'm even strongly considering adding the meal plan this year.

• Like 5

What I'll be curious to see..if FL gets filled by everyone using their bands on a Sunday, I wonder what the main queue will look like, and how it's wait time will be compared to FL..I'd find it hilarious to see FL guests leave the FL/FL+ queue and enter the main line because it's shorter...

Cool little free perk, but I think this may backfire..But ah well, the parks are so ridiculously attendance driven this year..I don't think we have seen the end of the shenanigans the parks are putting out to bring people in either.

Is attendance more important than revenue? Seems to be the case. Giving the gates away equals increase in attendance, but not necessarily in-park spending. Once upon a time folks would probably say something like "Wow I get in for $10, I ought to buy a meal/ice cream/etc. with the money left over" Those days are sadly gone. Mentality now is "$10 to get in and $15 for a meal, no way - lets go to the fastfood joint down the street".

I am probably in the minority when I say "The season pass is such a great value that I will pay more for in-park food to support the park". I for one was a fan of Fun Perks and am a fan of the discounts given for having a pass - it shows the park that I contribute to per cap numbers and not one of the many who have spent nothing in the park other than the season pass purchase - those are the ones that really cause revenue to be down, especially at a season pass park like KI. And I am sure some on this forum fall in this category!

Once the industry goes to attendance as the primary success factor = admission is free and pay per ride.

• Like 2

Exactly right..I see what they're trying to do, but it isn't working, nor is this practice pushing many results..See SIX..Less people, but higher per caps and a profit. May not equal the amount in dollars that FUN pulls, however, a profit is still better than no profit.

There are other things in the works for driving attendance I'm led to believe..giving the gate away serves a purpose..why..not sure, it boggles even my mind. All I know is hope future years don't follow this strategy, I feel it'll come to bite the company in the ass. We'll see how Q3 turns out, the parks turn into cash cows during Haunt, we'll see if it redeems itself in the figures..if not, I can't say I would be shocked.

would probably renew without the "perk." The funny part of it is that Sunday's in the Fall are a lot like it was today. <5 min. wait for just about everything. This is one of those hopes for "high perceived value/low cost (or in this case no cost)." The preview day... possibly a good deal though I don't sense that anything "new" is coming, which is fine... they outdid themselves with Banshee. Maintenance, sprucing up, and fixing things- could be the "new" attraction next year unless I missed something (and while I'm at it, have they given up on fixing broken props/music in Boo Hill?).

They were alot like today..I bet that may change..again this may just be one Sunday deal the park rolls out..I'll patiently wait and see..

Was at CP all weekend this past weekend..Park was crowded on Sun with bad weather but had their ticket special. I even made the effort to ask if people did the bring a friend deal, many replies were positive regarding that. So we shall have to wait and see, I think attendance will be pushed during Haunt like no other this year.

I don't know where this fits- so since this is a topic geared to 2015, I'll put it hear (and let the others dump on me because I posted in the wrong thread).

Two suggestions:

1) We have guests from out of town that want to go to the WaterPark while in Cincy. Not big thrill riders. Would there ever be a time where KI would consider developing a Soak City "only" ticket. Not mess with any of the other pricing, but create a ticket that is just for the WaterPark?

2) For the souvenir cups... upon the initial sale, bump it up $0.50'ish, and make the refills $0.94 instead of $0.99 (+7% sales tax=$1.06) so that those paying with cash don't have to go around with a pocket full of change... easier to count bills instead of pennies anyway.

• Like 2

The problem with one-park tickets is that, not unlike the Hogwarts Express at Universal Orlando, it would require admission gates at the train station(s) and at the walkway past the Picnic Grove, which must be continuously staffed by employees throughout the day, to ensure that persons wishing to go from one park to the other have the correct form of admission to do so. Then you probably want ticket sales booths at those same locations to enable on-the-spot upgrades from one-park to two-park tickets, which means more employees.

It's a lot of expense for what would probably be little benefit. I would love to see the waterpark and dry park become completely separate tickets (not just offer a waterpark-only ticket like you suggested), but it's probably not realistic.

• Like 2