Ice Bucket Challenge

Dom497

As well as 3 other parks you could say Holiday World "competes" with: Dollywood, Six Flags St. Louis, and Silver Dollar City- all 3 along with Kings Island are not too far from where Holiday World is. However, there is one noticeable omission...did Kentucky Kingdom already do this, or is Holiday World basically saying "We are nominating every park we feel can compete with us and that does NOT include you" and thus "slapping" KK in the face? (A google search for Kentucky Kingdom Ice Bucket challenge returned no positive results)

• Like 11

Not to keep pulling the negative nancy deal today..But I wouldn't be surprised if KI tried to make another world record with this deal..

But why people dump water over their heads for this..Sigh..just donate to ALS or DMD..and maybe learn about it. So many people I know already have done the ALS challenge..and have no clue what ALS is..or donate for that matter as well. I hate to say it, but this will sadly probably end up like the Kony 2012 crap..Big support worldwide for awhile..then poof, gone. That disappoints me more than anything. One time donor, never do it again, just like blood donors..

• Like 7

From what I understand, if you're nominated for the challenge you can either dump ice water on your head, or you can donate to ALS. With all of these "Challenge" videos going around the internet, I'm wondering if anyone is donating at all? Everyone lately has seemed so thrilled with all these ALS challenge videos, but to me it would seem better to not see so many videos of people dumping ice on their heads. That would mean more people would be donating the money. I understand part of this is to raise awareness and all, but if you look at the options of the challenge, it would seem that the more videos you see, the less people are donating. Just a thought.

• Like 4

Some people are donating as well, but there are those that do the challenge and not donate.

But all of these videos, I fail to see how they raise awareness...

Edit: Oh donations are up, and I'm very happy for that. However, I bet this time next year, it won't be so hot. Again..Kony 2012..anyone still following that after it went viral..nope.

• Like 1

^^Alot..I am kind of medical..I deal with DMD, ALS, and Congenital Dystophy alot..

But just because people say they accept the ALS challenge..do they really know what's going on, what it's helping, etc.

Shaving heads, applying sunscreen, and putting on lipstick didn't directly make those involved more aware of the respective diseases, but it still raised awareness for the three causes.
  • Like 12

^^Alot..I am kind of medical..I deal with DMD, ALS, and Congenital Dystophy alot..

But just because people say they accept the ALS challenge..do they really know what's going on, what it's helping, etc.

To my mind, and I can be a negative nellie, this is GREAT! Look at all the money donated in the last three weeks, many of those likely people who, without this going viral as it has, would have never in a million years visited the ALS website, or donated money.

You take that, add three people to it, it grows exponentially.

Again, any publicity is good publicity in this case, if people really know what is going on or not.

• Like 6

I believe the challenge is like this.... "I will donate $20 dollars to ALS if (insert name here) will dump a bucket of ice water on their head while it's being taped for You Tube" and then the individual challenged pays it forwards to another individual....and so on....

Anyone know a PR rep they'd like to challenge?

edit....don't forget that the initial challenger has to take the plunge first in order to make the challenge legit.

• Like 2

I think for something to go viral, it has to be unique. If donations drop again next year for ALS, that would unfortunate, but one good year can really help promote research to last a few years.

I have many friends participating in this. Many who I know never knew or even thought of ALS before this challenge.

• Like 7

Guest dtk1376

Agreed, ALS never really crossed my mind as a majorly known disease since we get breast cancer and other random mass scare disease of the years (Ebola, MERS, etc.) showed on mainstream media constantly. This is just like all the other trends that started that are good things (pink ribbons turning into a color ribbon for everything, yellow wristbands turning into a color wristband for everything, etc.). How anyone can say this is a bad thing, I don't know, but I do appreciate the effort people are putting into the effort. Every post on Facebook I have seen for this has had "ALS" in the description of the post they are making, and every time ALS is on your screen, that equals awareness, even if it's subconscious.

• Like 6

I was part of KI's Ice Bucket Challenge today at work ( :D) and to be honest, I didn't know much about ALS before the challenge. At that point, the only thing I knew was that it is also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease (because of a baseball computer game I played when I was younger) and that I thought it caused paralysis (which upon further research, it turns out I was correct). I saw some family members and Facebook friends taking the Ice Bucket Challenge and checked out a video my aunt shared about the man who started this challenge. His name is Pete Frates and was diagnosed with ALS in March 2012. Check out this video for more info: http://nesn.com/2014/08/pete-frates-fight-against-als-that-inspired-viral-movement-featured-on-sportscenter-video/.

EDIT: Also, this site explains what ALS is: http://www.alsa.org/about-als/what-is-als.html

• Like 8

^^It is but it isn't..It's good, but it could be better..

Plus..alot of people are just dumping and wasting water and ice over their heads and doing nothing else (Including KI "don't forget to donate, or do the challenge"). That shocked me the most, KI is all "kick cancer" etc. etc..then I see no donation to ALSA, or any true form of awareness. Just stating ALS is the tip of the iceberg..

Cool..raise a minute bit of awareness for one type of Dystrophy, and then call it a day..and being viral marketing, I doubt you'll ever see this again, or ever reach this magnitude..Like I said earlier, who all here is still on the manhunt for Joseph Kony? Pretty much that thing was dead in the water after 2012..

Cool stuff, but it could be alot better..Instead of whats being done..hey, how about go into how 30k Americans are affected by it, that it's a mutated chromosome in your genetics and may not know anything until later in life if you have it, or what muscular atrophy really is. How many out there know that DMD hits 15 out of every 100k? Which is more than ALS & it's 4 to every 100k. That it affects kids and can leave them incapacitated to a wheelchair? How about CMD, where patients really have no life expectancy at all to begin with, and if given one is usually very minute.

Educate and inform. Think of the AHA (American Heart Association). That education about basic CPR, pulse points, and signs/symptoms have saved COUNTLESS lives..I don't see them wasting buckets of water. Not to be negative nancy, but to move on and be better people and try and improve the world, be part of the group that stands up, and fights the problem. If anything just go out and donate, and educate yourself and be knowledgeable and keep the cause flowing. Donating once and walking away is very similar to blood donors. Donate once, never again, that's it. Yay you did your part, but you didn't keep it going to keep helping.

I'm glad a ton of money for one organization that deals with only one type of Dystrophy is doing good right now, but there are other types out there that are just sitting there collecting basically nothing (ALSA does not work to fix any other muscular dystrophy disorders) and that upsets me slightly. So all in all, stop wasting water, and start helping put cash into an organization that is fighting to solve the problem. Lastly you may be injured..already had two people in the ED today for dropping 5 gallon buckets full of ice on someones head..some of the accidents because of this are pretty crazy.

But just my two cents..Again not trying to say this is all a bad thing, but be better than the typical person right now. You want to see change, go be that change and be better than what the normal person is doing right now.

• Like 2

I'm torn with this. I'm glad that a disease that is so devastating is getting attention and money that I hope will be put to good use. For most people, unless it is in their day to day reality, such diseases and cancers won't be on their radar.

However, once it is on their radar, they have choices. Do they financially support related and proven organizations that support research and patients/caregivers? Do they do a one or multiple time donation/walk? Do they research or advocate or spread awareness?

I don't believe there is a perfect answer. What I do know from my own experience is that once I lived in one reality, even though that isn't my current reality, it changed my awareness. I did and still support, raise money, and advocate for certain organizations with the hope that others don't have that reality.

I know that viral campaigns like this won't create long lasting change in people. But it will for a particular group of people. I'm sure, for them, this campaign is everything and gives them hope.

Guest dtk1376

Everything I have read about the ice bucket challenge shows that it wasn't something started by the ALSA, but was started by some people that knew someone with ALS and wanted to raise awareness. For several random people to be able to get this amount of awareness for a disease that is generally swept under the rug is quite an accomplishment and I'm sure the ALSA appreciates every bit of it. To victimize the ALSA on the approach that someone not associated with the company is taking in generating awareness is wrong. What else is the ALSA going to do to raise awareness that reaches this level, start another one of the million walks there is every year (as I'm sure there is already several for it anyways).

• Like 4

I dont get the hate from the Ice Bucket Challenge. Some people cant afford to donate money to an organization. These people dont run out and buy 6 bags of ice as stated in that article. Most empty an ice tray into a bucket. Do the deed, promote ALS awareness, and then challenge their friends. It would be different if the ALS Association didnt support them.

http://www.alsa.org/

Right on the front page a link to this

http://www.alsa.org/fight-als/ice-bucket-challenge.html

With "badges" to put on Facebook or Twitter that states "I have completed the Ice Bucket Challenge.

http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-082014.html

As of Wednesday, August 20, The ALS Association has received $31.5 million in donations compared to $1.9 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 20). These donations have come from existing donors and 637,527 new donors to The Association.

31.5 Million dollars donated in 1 month. 600,000 new donors. It sounds like in 1 month they were able to get almost 2 years worth of "normal" funding. (1.9 x 12 =24 x 2 = 48 Million dollars). If only 1 percent of the new donors continue to keep donating, that is 6000 new donors. You couldnt get 6000 people to sign up to donate if you put an ALS rep in every Cedar Fair park and asked people to sign up.

I think these numbers are huge. Research is expensive. Maybe a new cause starts up next year. For something to become viral it has to be unique and it has to be organic. This started very organic. 1 person, challenging a few people. It blossomed into something really really cool.

And yes, maybe next year we are not talking about ALS, maybe we are talking about Autism, maybe we are talking about MS, maybe we are talking about, prostate cancer, etc.

• Like 2

I don't hate the challenge, I never said that.

I just want it to actually promote more awareness, especially through those that just dump water and do nothing else..like say the park who performed the challenge yesterday..but is all for kicking cancer/etc.

Go out, raise real awareness, and raise real funds if you cant. Take me for instance, I can't drop the 100 today, but I dropped 20 last nght, but talked about it for a bit and how to get involved. Then left it at that..Dunking water isn't really teaching people..

Even today after all of it yesterday I just explained to a patient what ALS is after being asked. So it's not working as it should, that's my main gripe..

• Like 1