Kings Dominion Plans Major Water Park Expansion in 2015

The 65-foot tall slide complex features three thrilling new attractions. On Paradise Plunge, thrill-seekers will step into one of three chambers and wait anxiously for the floor to drop out from underneath their feet, sending them in a high-speed, almost vertical free fall through a series of loops and s-curves in a translucent flume. Aqua Blast will send riders twisting and spiraling through an enclosed chute featuring four intense 360-degree loops across 449 feet of slide before they're dropped out into a pool of water. A wet and wild adventure will await guests on Thunder Falls as they climb into a single or double raft before being launched down a series of intense drops and turns.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/major-waterworks-expansion-new-for-2015-at-kings-dominion-2014-08-21

• Like 4

Always nice to see these companies not forget that people enjoy the water parks from time to time.

Indeed. The first year I had a season pass to KI (2010), I visited Boomerang Bay every time I came to the park. Since then, I only visit it once a season, if that, usually in combination with a visit to The Beach later that afternoon to make it a waterpark day. That's because not a single new slide has been installed since 2010 (and from what I understand on here, much earlier). Sure, they put in a second wave pool in 2012, but that is essentially a duplicate attraction and doesn't provide a new experience to draw me back to Soak City on a regular basis. Give me a new attraction that doesn't duplicate an existing one, and I'll happily go back there on a regular basis. Until then, I don't have a good reason to visit the waterpark regularly.

Kings Island really needs something like this. A new slide complex would add multiple new attractions to the water park. They have made some nice improvements to it over the years but I agree there hasn't really been any new additions in a long time. I know a lot of people keep saying they want a water coaster like Wildebeest but while they would be nice I think something liek this would be better first as it would add multiple new slides at once versus just one new attraction. Though I would like to see a water coaster eventually added.

• Like 2

Carowinds can have explosive growth like CP did from 1999-on..I could see multiple big expenditures over the next couple of years to make it the destination park of the carolinas, and pull from even farther than that (see all of us talking about it for instance)

It's a great park and a massive amount of potential..If it wasn't for nostalgia and my love of momma park, Carowinds is my second fav park.

• Like 1

Plans can and do change. Such a transition requires sustained commitment and focus over time. Paramount Studios once had incredible, transformative plans for the Paramount Parks. A year later, VIACOM entered the picture and the future was forever re-written.

One never knows, even when one is privy to future plans.

Expect the unexpected.

• Like 1

I'm just upset a bit the Plantation House looks to be removed..

But aside it's a sweet bit of upgrades so far to that park. Quite impressed and happy with what they're doing down there.

From what I've heard, the Plantation House has fallen into a bit of disrepair, and it would be more expensive to preserve it than to replace it. Plus, the entrance area is a bit crowded at present, so I think it'll all be for the best. :)

• 5 months later...

Kings Dominion Water Park re-branded as Soak City, New food, landscaping, cabanas, family changing areas, restroom facilities, wi-fi, televisions, and restaurant. First expansion since 2007 will transform area and open with the 2015 season. A naming contest is also underway on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/kingsdominionva

For more information on the wave of changes please see:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/CL24743.htm

• Like 1

2007 (the year of the expansion) was a shifty year for Cedar Fair...working on the Paramount de-branding and such. They probably didn't have much of a plan for the water parks at this time, only that they wanted something new for 2007.

Kings Island got the Soak City rebrand in 2012, and by the looks of what CF is doing now, it seems like they want to eventually rebrand every water park to Soak City.

It'll just take time.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...