Labor Day Weekend Crowds?

tanthonyam

Normally, I would not expect much in the way of crowds on those days. However, this year you have two additional factors in play at the same time: Dollar Days, which in previous years have been shown to bring out the crowds, and Gold Pass Bring-A-Friend Days, which sometimes have no effect on crowd levels and other times leave the park super-super-crowded.

So the answer is that nobody can possibly predict crowd levels for those days. If this is a once-a-year trip for you, or getting everything in is important to you, I would recommend budgeting for Fast Lane, but waiting until you get to the park to see what the crowds are like. Fast Lane Plus probably won't be needed even if the park is packed; Firehawk can be had with no line by heading straight there at 10am rope drop, and Banshee is a people-eater with a fast-moving line.

Have fun!

We don't know how crowded the park will be on a specific date, but there are some general hints that are useful. Devan, Andrew and Jonathan have some good advice above.

If the park is crowded, riding at the right time of day can save you a lot of time waiting in line. Get to popular rides like The Beast, Diamondback, Flight of Fear, Firehawk, and Backlot Stunt Coaster early - before noon if possible. Ride Banshee and other attractions in Action Zone during "early rides" if you have a gold/platinum pass; otherwise wait until later in the evening when the lines are shorter.

Whether you "need" Fast Lane is also a difficult question to answer. Many guests find Fast Lane beneficial even on slower days; others prefer to ride at times when the regular lines are shorter.

• Like 1

Keep in mind too that Invertigo and Firehawk have the two worst capacities of any coasters in the park. Flight of Fear usually has a long line anytime I've gone back there this season- reduced capacities certainly don't help matters there. Also if you haven't been yet this year, seat belts have been added to Diamondback, which has affected wait times somewhat.

Let us know how your wait times stack up by posting a Trip Report after your visit!

^ You'd be surprised how many people will come out for Dollar Days and Bring-A-Friend Days combined.

Also, Sunday is five days away. A rain forecast that far out has a margin of error of close to a full day. I'd not trust a rain forecast until about two days out.

• Like 1

Let's put it this way. Last year people on this board talked about how the Sunday crowds are ALWAYS so low this weekend every year. I took them for their word. It was Dollar Days and was insanely packed. It was one of the if not the most crowded day I went during 2013 and I went once or a twice a week every week last year. If anyone tells you it will be light crowds I would take it with a grain of salt. I'm tempted to find the individual posts and quote them in this thread.

My girlfriend at the time spent the day rubbing it in my face "I thought those guys on the message board said it would be empty". Now anytime I mention anything from this message board to her she brings up this specific event. The other time she mentions is how someone said the week we were going to Cedar Point last year was the first week of classes for Michigan students and how it'd be so empty ( Monday and Tuesday). We had made the plans even before this welcomed information. Needless to say it was the single most crowded visit I've ever had including past visits in weekends in June. I'm sure Cedar Point has less crowded days but my experience has been: crowded and crowded. Thankfully we got a good deal and got Fast Lane.

TL/DR Just assume it's going to be packed and either be right or pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

The other time she mentions is how someone said the week we were going to Cedar Point last year was the first week of classes for Michigan students and how it'd be so empty ( Monday and Tuesday). We had made the plans even before this welcomed information. Needless to say it was the single most crowded visit I've ever had including past visits in weekends in June. I'm sure Cedar Point has less crowded days but my experience has been: crowded and crowded. Thankfully we got a good deal and got Fast Lane..

So I probably shouldn't mention that I spent the day at CP and my longest wait was Raptor and Gatekeeper (waited for front row) and that was only 20 mins? In 10 mins of ERT and by 11:30a I had in 2 rides each for Maverick, MF and TTD.

Which really just goes to show that no one can really pick. I haven't had too bad of an experience with the Labor Day crowds. I've seen really light crowds and also what I consider normal summer crowds. But I also go in expecting that there may be longer lines than normal. I have to remind myself that the day is what we make of it.

• Like 3