Different owner of Kings Island

KIFan1

Let me on my computer lawyer hat momentarily (not a real lawyer).... When I read the contract this past spring it does state that the area in Orlando must remain an area with improvements.... If Disney ever does come knocking they would just have to wait for a non-compliant year... Or not... Who knows? Not me

• Like 1

Avenue Capital (which thought it as going to get Six Falgs, but didn't) and Apollo Global (which Dick Kinzel planned to give Cedar Fair to for about a third of what it was worth--and to benefit greatly from the transaction--but was thwarted in his dastardly plans by the Knott family, Geoffrey Raynor and Q Investments) planned to merge SIX and FUN.

What a great opportunity this is to flash back to ten years ago. 2004.

While we might've seen upheaval or changes, who would've assumed Cedar Fair would own Paramount Parks, that Universal would be a contender in Orlando and globally, that Disney would be adding a land based on James Cameron's Avatar, that Disney['s] California Adventure stood a chance, that Geauga Lake would be closed (okay, a few might've seen that coming in 2004), that SIX would be operating its parks so differently than it did a decade ago, that Busch Entertainment would have a new name and be falling so far... etc. etc. A lot of changes! A lot of underdogs becoming victors and shoe-ins falling behind.

You probably would never have guessed that Paramount's Kings Island would belong to Cedar Fair ten years ago. It would've sounded preposterous.

... What will the landscape look like in 2024?

• Like 4

While we might've seen upheaval or changes, who would've assumed Cedar Fair would own Paramount Parks, that Universal would be a contender in Orlando and globally, that Disney would be adding a land based on James Cameron's Avatar, that Disney['s] California Adventure stood a chance, that Geauga Lake would be closed (okay, a few might've seen that coming in 2004), that SIX would be operating its parks so differently than it did a decade ago, that Busch Entertainment would have a new name and be falling so far... etc. etc. A lot of changes! A lot of underdogs becoming victors and shoe-ins falling behind.

You probably would never have guessed that Paramount's Kings Island would belong to Cedar Fair ten years ago. It would've sounded preposterous.

I'll never forget the day that Cedar Fair purchased Paramount Parks. I, like many others, totally didn't see that coming.

I'll never forget the day that Cedar Fair purchased Paramount Parks. I, like many others, totally didn't see that coming.
how you feel f Disney, Universal, Merlin Entertainment, Parques Reunidos, Six Flags, or Herschend Family Entertainment bought the Paramount Parks?

how you feel f Disney, Universal, Merlin Entertainment, Parques Reunidos, Six Flags, or Herschend Family Entertainment bought the Paramount Parks?

Disney and Universal wouldn't entertain the thought- not familiar so much with Merlin- though without looking them up, might be a slightly different industry. Parques/Palace- most of their parks have a much smaller footprint, and heavy on FEC's in the US- though a number in their LA offices were PP transfers from Knott's. Six was already in the midst of a death spiral. Herschend would have been an interesting proposition, given that a number of "PKI" folks ventured south to Pigeon Forge.

My guess is that is CF hadn't bought, they would have been broken into smaller "chunks" for sale and a Blackstone-type investor would have bought in part or whole.

• Like 1

I like what Cedar Fair has done with these parks. Have they been perfect? Absolutely not. And, I am more impressed with the new CEO Matt Ouimet as opposed to Kinzel. Kinzel did have a lot of guts to take a risk on something like Dragster, so I give him credit there. Matt seems to be more interested in family experience as opposed to just record breakers. And where I am in life right now, the family focus is what I'm looking for.

On a side note, I wonder if 'ol DK has an Intamin in his back yard. He seemed to have a thing for that company. :lol:

On a side note, I wonder if 'ol DK has an Intamin in his back yard. He seemed to have a thing for that company. :lol:

If he he didn't find a buyer then he currently has five in his backyard.

He has more than one. He lives on CP's property. He has his own private entrance and everything. I assume his keycode still works. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

For arguments sake, if Cedar Fair right now said that it was selling KI and the KICentral people could vote on the sale, who would you pick between Merlin Entertainment, Parques Reunidos, or Herschend Family Entertainment. Who would you pick? I want people to use their imaginations.

• Like 1

I'd go with Merlin. Herschend is a great company but they would drop our Halloween Haunt in a heartbeat and they would drop the Banshee name. They're a "Family oriented company." A Banshee signifies death and our Halloween event more adult themed which Herschend simply won't work with them. This all opinion based so feel free to disagree with me.