Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

But there is no story here. How can the media run a story on a 30 second video with no press release?

Sure there is.

"Cedar Point release a video via their YouTube channel today implying that The Mantis roller coaster will be 'squashed' on October 19th. Speculation is abound as to what the true meaning of the video is. "Rumors have circulated for years that Mantis would be converted into a floorless design" said Jeff Putz, administrator on Pointbuzz.com "The stand-up trains were popular in the 80's and early 90's, but it's time for a change." Park spokesperson Brian Edwards refused to comment further. Cedar Point season passes are on sale now for the lowest advertised price of the season."

There you go.

Please note that I just made up the Jeff Putz quote as well as the rest of the article.

• Like 2

I love floorless coasters, but i feel like a floorless conversion would be sort or weird. Raptor and Gatekeeper already give riders the sensation of dangling feet.

But this does make sense. The stand up thing as an ironic twist for a while, but it was just a gimmick. Nobody's favorite type of a coaster is a stand up. Yeah, I get that floorless is kind of gimmicky too, but at least it'll breath new life into the ride.

I, for one, am in favor.

Of course, that's still assuming that the floorless thing is true....

• Like 8

But there is no story here. How can the media run a story on a 30 second video with no press release?

Sure there is.

"Cedar Point release a video via their YouTube channel today implying that The Mantis roller coaster will be 'squashed' on October 19th. Speculation is abound as to what the true meaning of the video is. "Rumors have circulated for years that Mantis would be converted into a floorless design" said Jeff Putz, administrator on Pointbuzz.com "The stand-up trains were popular in the 80's and early 90's, but it's time for a change." Park spokesperson Brian Edwards refused to comment further. Cedar Point season passes are on sale now for the lowest advertised price of the season."

There you go.

Please note that I just made up the Jeff Putz quote as well as the rest of the article.

...and the article I made up on the fly and whipped out in 90 seconds is now basically for real:

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/features/2014/09/02/cedar-point-reveals-2015-plans/14962773/

• Like 5

Between this and SkyRider, that's two standup coasters gone within the CF chain this year. Unless Mantis is getting converted, doesn't look good for the rest of 'em.

If this goes successfully (the conversion), I wouldn't be surprised to see it done elsewhere.

I must add that I do like the production value of the video.

Seems interesting that the ride is closing two weeks before the end of the season. Is it possible that if the floorless conversion does happen that there would be a change in the actual layout of the coaster? I'm sure the station would need to be modified to accommodate the new trains, but that would still only take a fraction of the offseason to do. This to me is actually more interesting now than it was an hour ago!

Seems interesting that the ride is closing two weeks before the end of the season. Is it possible that if the floorless conversion does happen that there would be a change in the actual layout of the coaster? I'm sure the station would need to be modified to accommodate the new trains, but that would still only take a fraction of the offseason to do. This to me is actually more interesting now than it was an hour ago!

Or it's part of the ploy.

Why close it two weeks early?

Because closing it at the end of the season would be too obvious.

Personally?

I think they want extra time to paint it. Winter in Sandusky ain't like it is here. They may need those valuable spring days for testing.

• Like 3

If it does get a floorless make over, I wonder if the train will have the typical hard over the shoulder restraints or the soft vest type on Banshee and Gatekeeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. I'd bet anything they design the trains with the soft vests.

I love those things.

• Like 5

I rode Mantis yesterday since it has been rumored to change soon. I am not a huge fan of stand ups (I loved Chang at Kentucky Kingdom for some reason.) I love the layout of Mantis though. I cannot imagine how they can do a floorless without having to change some of the elements. If the conversion is successful, maybe they will do the same to Shockwave at Kings Dominion.

• Like 1

I rode Mantis yesterday since it has been rumored to change soon. I am not a huge fan of stand ups (I loved Chang at Kentucky Kingdom for some reason.) I love the layout of Mantis though. I cannot imagine how they can do a floorless without having to change some of the elements. If the conversion is successful, maybe they will do the same to Shockwave at Kings Dominion.

It's a TOGO, so I don't know if I'd expect them to do anything with it but tear it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't think that's likely. This is converting a B&M to a different type of B&M - which (at least in my opinion) is what makes this make sense.

Shockwave is a decades-old TOGO - which are slowly disappearing, as the company's American operations went out of business long ago.

I mean, with enough money (nearly) everything is possible, but I think it would be more likely to see other B&Ms converted.

It's quite possible that they use the same-gauge track as well as other similar components.

EDIT: yep ^

• Like 1