Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

I rode Mantis yesterday since it has been rumored to change soon. I am not a huge fan of stand ups (I loved Chang at Kentucky Kingdom for some reason.) I love the layout of Mantis though. I cannot imagine how they can do a floorless without having to change some of the elements. If the conversion is successful, maybe they will do the same to Shockwave at Kings Dominion.

I don't think that's likely. This is converting a B&M to a different type of B&M - which (at least in my opinion) is what makes this make sense.

Shockwave is a decades-old TOGO - which are slowly disappearing, as the company's American operations went out of business long ago.

I mean, with enough money (nearly) everything is possible, but I think it would be more likely to see other B&Ms converted.

It's quite possible that they use the same-gauge track as well as other similar components.

EDIT: yep ^

They did convert Steel Dragon 2000 (a Morgan coaster) to have B&M trains, so they can work with different gauges of track.

However, I don't think any amount of B&M's expertise can make Shockwave any better. Also, I direct you to the coaster formerly known as Manhattan Express for the result of other companies trying to mess with Togos.

• Like 2

Manhattan Express...... Oh the horror....

EDIT: I can see it now...... Wicked Mantis. The first hybrid coaster to feature an inclined dive loop and a 270 degree stall element. At 200ft tall with a 195ft drop, it will be the worlds tallest hybrid coaster (or wooden coaster, we dont know). It will also be the first and only hybrid coaster to feature FOUR, count them, FOUR inversions! Wicked Mantis everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mantis might be getting the reverse RMC treatment. Remove the steel track and install wooden track... Im sure this will show up on Screamscape shortly.

I wonder if we will see these potential new trains and concept art at IAAPA in November?

I also wonder if there will be some reprofiling done? I wonder if something like the Demonic Knot that showed up on Flug der Damonen this year could show up. Seeing as this element is formed with an Inclined Dive Loop going directly into an inclined Immelmann. Mantis has an inclined loop currently that could easily become the inclined Immelmann followed by the inclined Dive Loop. Just some wild speculation since that is what they are hoping for.

I threw this chart together to show the number of operating stand-up roller coasters in North America and the world in general, year by year.

Ln3zVDy.jpg

Pardon a couple ones being relocated by Six Flags a few years back, there has not been a new stand-up roller coaster built anywhere since 1999. They were definitely a fad of the 1980s and 90s, and if the floorless conversion rumors are true, it'll be a refreshing and welcomed change.

• Like 2

Edit: was beat by a few seconds. So I shall ask an intriguing question instead.

Can a Banshee wail for itself?

Maybe, just maybe, our Banshee wailed for the "original" Banshee to die?

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Mantis, it sounds like a cool coaster, from what I've heard. But at the same time, I've heard that it can be rough.

Oh well, one must fall for another to rise.

Re-occuring theme?

• Like 2

Mantis might be getting the reverse RMC treatment. Remove the steel track and install wooden track... Im sure this will show up on Screamscape shortly.

I wonder if we will see these potential new trains and concept art at IAAPA in November?

I also wonder if there will be some reprofiling done? I wonder if something like the Demonic Knot that showed up on Flug der Damonen this year could show up. Seeing as this element is formed with an Inclined Dive Loop going directly into an inclined Immelmann. Mantis has an inclined loop currently that could easily become the inclined Immelmann followed by the inclined Dive Loop. Just some wild speculation since that is what they are hoping for.

53978562.jpg

• Like 2

Oh boy my first ever CP trip will be in May with my 8th grade class! The biggest thing that I'm hoping to be open for 2015 will be that RMC (If it's not just a teaser). I imagine that list of things to do will take at least 2 and a half years to complete, especially against Lake Erie weather. After our trip this year I don't have any clue if or when I'll ever be back to CP again and I am a huge RMC fan (though I have never ridden one) and would love to ride one. And having one only 3 hours away would be awesome! That's definitely the one I'm rooting for the highest.

• Like 1