Tony Clark: "major announcement on 9/2 at high noon"

I imagine that list of things to do will take at least 2 and a half years to complete, especially against Lake Erie weather.

I imagine that that list was nothing more than a teaser and that there are no plans whatsoever to do the majority of the items on the list.

• Like 3

Yeah, that was a lot of hype about absolutely nothing. Are they removing it? Converting it? Changing the name? How many more weeks until we get an actual announcement? October 19th?

"Ever wonder why you're not supposed to stand up on Mantis?"

That, to me, gives you the answer.

They're trying to get the media to run the story twice: once saying that 'Mantis gets squashed' and another when they announce the presumed floorless conversion with a new name.

I'd just like to point out that the quote from the video is "Ever wonder why you're not supposed to step on a Mantis?" This is the tagline for Mantis that is also heard in the nostalgia video PhantomTheater posted. Watch the video again with " step on" in your mind and you'll hear it.

I think Mantis is going bye bye, but the track isn't. If you watch the video. It states "take your last stand" and Mantis gets "squashed". Those 2 phrases make me believe that it will under go a transformation of some sort, but not be completely taken out.

Sent from a signal coming out of the Vega system.

• Like 5

Just like I never suggest someone purposefully skip a ride just because I don't enjoy it, I wouldn't wish demolition on many coasters*.

I don't enjoy Mantis very much, but I would be very sad to see it go.

I think you would, too, once its full queue is redistributed throughout the park. ;)

Here's hoping they make use of a very impressive B&M concoction and twist it into something else.

* unless they presented a danger to the public or an undue burden on the park's finances and operations, which may or may not have been the case with at least a few of Kings Island's lost rides.

• Like 5

Interesting thought could they add a launch to it, re-profile some of the ride, and add a dark element to it for thrill seekers, where, you go through a slow dark ride, and then get blasted through a tunnel to the outside, a human can dream, the new guy in charge is a Disney guy! Plus Cedar Point is the Flagship the mother load of all that is Cedar Fair, the #1 park in America...

• Like 1

Someone on Instagram told me" they sold it to Sorbet Park" (where is that or is it really a park). In the video they say "saying good bye is never easy, but in this case it is" makes me think are making it floor less with a new name (Centurion or Rougarou) and new colors.

"... you already knowwww"! lol :P (Sorry, um, just finishing the song up!) But seriously... I don't know what to think about Mantis's future. It was my first stand-up coaster, but at the same time, it's always been an... interesting ride. If the floorless rumors and re-paint do come into fruition, that'd be cool as I've never been on a floorless coaster before. I did figure out a strange coincidence as I was talking to a friend of mine today about the subject: when the rumors came about Flight Deck becoming The Bat, I made sure to sit in the front seat for my last ride on Closing Day. Interestingly enough, when I went to Cedar Point in June, I rode Mantis in the very front (and this was before I knew about or thought about any Mantis rumors). Is this a foreshadowing of things to come?

• Like 3

Several hours ago Dorney Park tweeted using #DPstandsUPwithCP. Could they be relocating Mantis to Dorney?

See, I was thinking the same thing earlier when I saw the video. Steel Force at Dorney, ironically the logo for what Mantis was supposed to be, had the Grim Reaper also.

I haven't ridden Mantis at Cedar Point and I may make another trip up before the end of the season. If Mantis causes your legs to feel like Jell-O like Green Lantern at NJFTP, pass.

Seriously, I got off of Green Lantern and was like "Why in the Hell didn't I go ride Kingda Ka with the rest of the group instead of this thing?"

• Like 2

In theory, yeah. There's just a LOT of variables that would theoretically go into designing new trains, like mass moment of inertia of the new trains vs. the old trains, rider heartline location on the trains vs. what heartline the track was designed around, service life changes, and braking configuration, off the top of my head. That's not mentioning the multiple station changes required on Cedar Point's part. It's not impossible, but it would be difficult, which I would believe would also make it very expensive. I'm by no means the expert on how everything mechanical is designed, and B&M clearly knows what they're doing when it comes to coasters, but I would be extremely impressed to see Mantis get new floorless (or any other style of) trains.

Regardless: Based on the strangeness of hyping up a ride "removal" announcement, it seems like Cedar Point's got something unique up their sleeves. Parks don't really tend to say, "Now, for the moment you've been waiting for... We're going to remove a ride. GET PUMPED!" Even parks with the ever-teasing hype machine that is Tony Clark as their public relations guy. There's something big to this that's yet to come. Stay tuned.

• Like 5

Regardless: Based on the strangeness of hyping up a ride "removal" announcement, it seems like Cedar Point's got something unique up their sleeves. Parks don't really tend to say, "Now, for the moment you've been waiting for... We're going to remove a ride. GET PUMPED!" Even parks with the ever-teasing hype machine that is Tony Clark as their public relations guy. There's something big to this that's yet to come. Stay tuned.

That is EXACTLY the thought then went across my mind when I saw this announcement.

Usually a roller coaster removal isn't necessarily "promoted".......